Tattoos

I've wanted to get a memorial tattoo for my Grandfather more or less since he passed a few years ago. I decided against the more literal usual variety of a photo and decided on a piece which not only honored him but the interest in World War 2 aviation that he gave me. So, I took my time and found an artist whose work I liked - Jason Vaughn at Deluxe Tattoo here in Chicago. I saw his online portfolio - and especially his tattoo of an impala, and decided that he could do what I wanted. So I sent him a journal entry of my Grandfather's war diary:

Dec 9th No#6

A memorable day! Old 013 got a zero. Sgt Perry shot him down over Milli when we had just left the target. It was my first look at the Japs fighter and it is a beautiful ship. We could not bomb our original target as clouds covered it. So we went over the main section of the island and Maxie put 25 #100lbs bomb right down their runway - after that we turned left off the island and 5 zeros jumped us. The rest of the formation broke away before hitting the target and went to the right instead of the left as we were supposed to, thus leaving us alone. They made about 10 or 12 overhead passes at us while we tried to join our formation but we managed to escape all hits. Perry and Swain let those nips have plenty of lead all the way. The ship that Perry shot down had his tail assembly shot off and the last we saw of it he was going straight down at almost 300 mph at 2500ft and smoking. It was a real exciting day and another one which will take a long time to forget. To make the mission even more interesting we went through a weather front from Monamea to Funa Futi where we had to go down to 900ft. to get below the clouds. Plenty tiresome flying and we certainly felt relieved when the ship sat down on our home base at 2130.

And I gave him a few books on B-24's and one on Zero's - and told him to come up with an artists interpretation.

So, here are the first pictures of my tattoo, in progress. Please note the pictures so far are taken with a cell phone and that as the tattoo is literally in progress, my arm is coated in vaseline.

Session #1, Jason laying out the linework:

Photo_12.jpg

Session #2, Jason beginning the color:

Photo_013.jpg

Session #2, like Mig's says, "Look at the blood!":

Photo_012.jpg

Session #2, Arm top:

Photo000.jpg

Session #2, Arm bottom:

Photo_01.jpg

Session #2, most of arm:

Photo0002.jpg

I don't have any pictures currently of the inner arm, but more will pictures will follow I am sure. My next appointment is Feb 9th - I'm about halfway done. If I need a fourth session it will be March 1st. All in all, around 12-15 (I can't sit for more than around 3-4 hours at a time) hours of work, but it will defintely be worth it.

-Jake

What font is this script??

its a combination of a few different fonts which i've since forgotton, but i remember the ampersan and the "D" in determined are the ubiquitious Edwardian Script.

and no, its no redundant, there is a central theme.

on another note,

I was looking at Regino Gonzales in NYC, but decided the commute from Michigan was a bit much.

Can anyone recommend some artists in Chicago?

• 2 weeks later...

love the fighter plane tat and story that goes along with it.

definately keep us up to date with pics.

I was thinking of getting a memorial piece for my grandfather... as a kid i remember he'd suprise me some fridays and take me out of school to this mall that had a ferris wheel and rides at it... i'd get the ferris wheel on my side in black and white with heavy detail or a bumper car somewhere.

the two rides i remember most

Tattoo'd tattoo. Shitty pictures, not complete:

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

That looks dope, I am looking forward to seeing the final piece as well.

I am thinking of doing a half sleeve on my right this summer once I complete my design ideas.

ps...I also thought that was an engine block or something...ha

love the fighter plane tat and story that goes along with it.

definately keep us up to date with pics.

I was thinking of getting a memorial piece for my grandfather... as a kid i remember he'd suprise me some fridays and take me out of school to this mall that had a ferris wheel and rides at it... i'd get the ferris wheel on my side in black and white with heavy detail or a bumper car somewhere.

the two rides i remember most

Thanks, will do. My next session on it is the 9th of February. Should have some more updated photos then.

I think your idea for a memorial piece sounds good - I prefer the abstract to the usual photo memorial tattoos, though those can be cool if well done too.

-Jake

I know the meanings of the things I've got on myself, and they all have to do with my life.

So just because many people already have it, more people shouldn't get it? Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

Tradition is a big part of tattoos, hence many people getting the same designs (traditional pieces). Especially the Japanese/Oriental designs, there is so much meaning to each piece. Same goes with Americana art, (Swallows, pin up girls, and etc.)

Less talk from me, go learn about it if you're so interested.

So just because many people already have it, more people shouldn't get it? Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

I think that's an especially good point to make on a site like this where basically everyone is comparing the same half a dozen pairs of jeans and how they fade.

But yeah, just because lots of people have a particular tattoo, or whatever, if it means something to you, and it's well executed in design, then who the fuck cares.

-Jake