Tattoos

This may be a long shot but does anyone have any recommendations for tattoo artists in Denver? I'm looking at getting my first tattoo.

If you can drive to Bolder then I would recommend Joel Long from Bolder Ink...dude does everything but his japanese work is very good

Max after looking at Annie Frenzel's work I am so impressed with her finer details.  It makes me want to trek out of the states to get a tattoo from her

Damn, the popular artists just don't seem to reply their emails. I really like Yarnell's work but 2 weeks and two emails later, still no reply. I'll be in London in about a month. I'm also trying to get something set up with Maxime Buchi, but I think he'll be away during that time.

Edited by flyordie

Damn, the popular artists just don't seem to reply their emails. I really like Yarnell's work but 2 weeks and two emails later, still no reply. I'll be in London in about a month. I'm also trying to get something set up with Maxime Buchi, but I think he'll be away during that time.

Mike Adams is the same. Must be hard to keep track of 50+ emails a day I guess. I'll give them that

I have the same problem, even with artists I already know. Things were easier when instagram and facebook weren't more important than a walk-in shop. I love guys that give you their phone number right away, makes things a lot easier.

While I'm ranting, I also hate things like that application check that uncle allan has on his website. You have to tell every single detail, the size and the spot, then you might be blessed with the opportunity to pay him a lot of money. After all, it's the input and collaboration with customer and artist that makes a tattoo good and why you go to those guys and not the dingy place around the corner.

I guess it will get better in a few years - either the tattoo trend became such mainstream that all artists have employees or it is over and they find time to reply their customers. Right now, especially in London or Berlin, the demand outnumbers the offers by far, it seems -so why should they care much?

Edited by Max Power

Max after looking at Annie Frenzel's work I am so impressed with her finer details.  It makes me want to trek out of the states to get a tattoo from her

You know she lived (and started tattooing) in the USA? She's still there sometimes, mostly in Chicago. Last year for 3 months. And I agree, the detailing is awesome, and I just love their designs. If I'm lucky, I get my knee done in June, had to cancel the last planned appointment.

While I'm ranting, I also hate things like that application check that uncle allan has on his website. You have to tell every single detail, the size and the spot, than you might be blessed with the opportunity to pay him a lot of money. After all, it's the input and collaboration with customer and artist that makes a tattoo good and why you got to those guys and not the dingy place around the corner.

-

Edited by flyordie

So I have been wondering, how specific are the ideas everyone comes up with when they present them to the artist? I have a problem where I have some vague influences and ideas or I have one specific key part but want more to go with it and the artists I have visited seem to fall short with collaborating with me to further my idea past the basis. Maybe it is just the artist I am working with isn't entirely into the work I ask for or maybe he just isn't a big fan of me personally. Any help or comments are appreciated.

P.S.

I would like to go ahead and say I dont consider my shop dingy or entirely shitty it is one of the better shops and longest running set of shops in my state.  

Edited by FLDenim211

Well, I've only had one specific design in my mind that I wanted to get 100% the way I imagined it. And gues what - that's not my favorite Piece.

In the other cases I think it's best to choose the Artist that does the style and designs you have in mind, give him a rough idea and then discuss with him (in person, also to see how it would work on the body). My artists liked that a lot - they knew, I was into their work and style (not asking black and grey realistic stuff of an old school guy) and they had freedom to do their design. But all wanted a rough direction, not just "do whatever you like". I think if you get a everlasting body modification you should have that idea, not just getting some stuff for the sake of getting a tattoo. 

The problem may be with my expectations. I gave him a pretty solid idea to run with: Native Indian Shaman and a fire pit below with some different ideas to fill in white space.  They wanted reference and I had really just wanted an original design from him as far as the piece went letting him come up with it based on his style.

Edited by FLDenim211

i think they are some the best in the world at what they do: classic, clean, american traditional work. not super flashy, not super contemporary or bold, just perfect flash. ive had 10+ hours done at smith street--its my favorite shop.

so i guess it all depends on what youre looking for. what do you want to get done?

You know she lived (and started tattooing) in the USA? She's still there sometimes, mostly in Chicago. Last year for 3 months. And I agree, the detailing is awesome, and I just love their designs. If I'm lucky, I get my knee done in June, had to cancel the last planned appointment.

Back to that for a second, I only just started getting any tattoos I got my first one 2 years ago and my recent ones during HWDC so I was a child amongst men the world of tattoo.  Secondly how is Annie's pricing, I am saving for some bigger pieces now and want to have a ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...