Tattoos

A deposit is a pretty arbitrary number and doesn't necessarily represent an hourly rate. Just ask what he charges an hour. $300 would be super steep.

agreed, I don't see any problem with checking the rate just so you know.

$300 is steep but not unheard of. expensive for a new artist (?) but if he is really good and you can afford it, who cares.

pretty sure i'm getting my first/last tattoo this year - i always told myself that if i was straight edge for 10 years i would get one and here we are. i know what i want, i just wish i could just make up my mind where i want it on my arm. i originally wanted it on my chest but i'm way too hairy - that and i'm a pussy.

ps save your 'lol str8 egde' or 'you'll regret it' comments son. nailed to the x.

Edited by conqueror

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys get tattoos for a certain meaning? I'm looking into getting a tattoo within the next two years (yeah long time away) but I don't know what I should get and if it should have a meaning or not.

Yes, that is like opening pandoras box. Anyway, my two cents (and I'm generalizing): There are only two types of tattooed people.

A. Those who don't know shit about tattoos or artists and got something they try to squeeze some meaning into, like zodiac or chinese lettering stuff. Mostly these are the only tattoos they got and they got them cause they wanted something "really cool, reflecting my struggle or achievement, remembering my loved ones" or just wound up with what seems likely, like their date of birth etc.. Most of those tattoos are crap.

B. People who love tattoos and mostly get many of them. Some with meaning, some with the sole purpose of pleasing their eyes only (which is enough "menaing" to me). If they are well thought of, they will make you more happy than Type A. At least, if you don't follow trends or do sth, just cause your current idol has it.

Knowing you, Jacob, I give you the advice of my latest tattoo artist. He complimented me on waiting till I was 28 (two years ago), as this is the time when you got some cash and know where you stand in life. The motives and artists you pick then are most likely well thought of. For example, I would not advice getting throat and hand tattoos at the age of 18-25. Even if Oli Sykes makes you think it's cool.

My opinion only.

Edited by Max Power

is that the inner elbow? is recovery a bitch for that placement?

Yes, kinda. That's where I got some blind spots.

I haven't had problems with my inner elbow,but the outside of my elbow lost ink, and was probably the most gnarly spot pain wise I've hit yet.

Yes, that is like opening pandoras box. Anyway, my two cents (and I'm generalizing): There are only two types of tattooed people.

A. Those who don't know shit about tattoos or artists and got something they try to squeeze some meaning into, like zodiac or chinese lettering stuff. Mostly these are the only tattoos they got and they got them cause they wanted something "really cool, reflecting my struggle or achievement, remembering my loved ones" or just wound up with what seems likely, like their date of birth etc.. Most of those tattoos are crap.

B. People who love tattoos and mostly get many of them. Some with meaning, some with the sole purpose of pleasing their eyes only (which is enough "menaing" to me). If they are well thought of, they will make you more happy than Type A. At least, if you don't follow trends or do sth, just cause your current idol has it.

Knowing you, Jacob, I give you the advice of my latest tattoo artist. He complimented me on waiting till I was 28 (two years ago), as this is the time when you got some cash and know where you stand in life. The motives and artists you pick then are most likely well thought of. For example, I would not advice getting throat and hand tattoos at the age of 18-25. Even if Oli Sykes makes you think it's cool.

My opinion only.

Gotcha. Thanks man, I'm to say the least not like every other teen though.. Right now what I want (which will most likely be different in a few years) is a half sleeve on my left arm - enough that if I wear a short sleeve shirt you can see it clearly, but if I need to cover it up I can easily do so. I like browsing this thread for the pure inspiration and most of the stuff posted in here is well done and good work. I figured over the next two years or so that I would just strictly do research and if I still feel the same way in two years about a tattoo as I do now then I will get one. I do have the artist in mind for my first tat though, maybe it'll change but I met him about a year ago so I am definitely thinking this through lol.

Gotta figure out what I really want though and I'm just trying to find tattoos that interest me to some extent. 

This guys video is what inspired me to get a tattoo and I've keep watching it every so often for the past year and a half: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bearandyeti/4027491253/

Ah, man…don't open that can of worms. 

Haha no one needs to respond anymore then, I definitely don't want to start a whole debate. 

laxlife1234 - find the most badass pic on the internet you can find, take it to a badass artist, and tell em to make the pic look even badass-er and on your body...

honestly though, just look at good stuff online so you know what style you want, find an artist thats good at that... decide roughly what you want, i.e. pirate ship or fuckin coffee mug, idk.... let the artist do the rest

edit- just saw youre a teen.... youre probably gonna get something stupid

Edited by Dex_star

Whatever, I still classify my 18 y/o self as a teen since I still make some stupid decions. And I'm waiting till I get a bit older so I don't regret my decision - my decisions are usually impulse anyway, so I figured if I wait and I still actually want it then I wont regret it. 

Get some letters on your knuckles, or those cleeky little dots you find on them London kids, or maybe even a triangle. Triangles are dope.

Jokes aside, IMHO, as long as you can pay for what you are getting from the artist of your choice, then it should be fine – whether it be now or two years later.

It'll just be that tattoo you got when you were 18. No harm. That latter bit though is key. I've seen some funny ink on friends that went too big, too early, mostly because of that koi fish/japanese craze. 

Edited by WillKhitie

Lol. Maybe I'll just get a black bar. Seems meaningful. 

Anyways the biggest thing to me is that I get an amazing artist, not some dude in a tattoo shop that sells bongs (or that's at least funniest/best advice I've gotten from a tattoo artist so far). If I have to pay a premium price I will have no problem doing so, especially if it's going to be there the rest of my life. But my original question was just out of curiousity... I guess it really only applies to the people that get shit quotes like 'let it go', or obnoxious crosses. 

I will say I'm a fan of the work that (10chars) tattoo artist does, love the shading/simplicity of it. 

Edited by laxlife1234

My personal words of wisdom:

Artist: You're right regarding the artist. Go to someone that deserves that name and that you like personally and regarding his work.(At least I don't want to look at a tattoo and remeber a session I wasn't enjoying or a tattooer that I couldn't stand).

Pick someone with a defined style, that does what you like and is good at that. don't ask thomas hooper for a realistic portrait. Give him freedom and just set the rough parameters. This usually works best.

Motive: Don't be impulsive, but don't overthink as well. For example, if you like a motive and find yourself still liking it some months or years later, get it. If it's conntected to your lifestyle or personality in some way, even better. (If you don't know shit about punk, don't get the Black Flag bar logo because you saw it in Vice Magazine). Wait a few years if you're 18, it might help to be sure about what defines you and what you will like to show yourself and others for the rest of your life.

Bodypart: An interesting thought I read by a german artist lately. He only tattoos backs or non-visible parts on newbs. Just to make sure, they really like the tattoo for it's own worth, not to show off or follow a trend. I know that many want to show a tattoo to others, but the thought of starting somewhere where nobody can see it is great. Makes sure you get it for yourself, not others. Many japanese artists and customers share this view btw.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Max Power