Tattoos

I did 8 hours in two sessions on my ribs, from roughly my hip to just under my pit. It was my first major tattoo (I had something small already). After getting my chest, ditch, and forearms tattooed I can comfortably say that the pain is all relatively the same (except the fucking sternum which killed) and it depends more so on the tattooer and their skill.

...the pain is all relatively the same (except the fucking sternum which killed) and it depends more so on the tattooer and their skill.

QFT.

While the rib pain isn't particularly bad, I feel like the dull pain stuck around a bit longer than it did on other spots.

That said, I have an appointment with Mr. Santoro at Smith St. for some sort of wacky dagger on my ribs this Thursday. Pretty stoked.

Oh, and I'd like to add center of the stomach to the list of spots that fucking kill.

I started getting tattoos when I was 27. I feel like you're less likely to regret them when you're a little older since you're more established in your life. Chances are you're not going to "grow up" and realize tattoos are not for you. If you want to do it just dooo it. But probably be prepared to get more than one, like Wooster says.

http://video.aol.com/video/youve-got-lloyd-kahn/1082105791/?ncid=edlinkustvvd00000001

dude is 76 and started skateboarding at 65. i started last year and although the beggining is really frustrating when you start to fall less regularly and being able to ollie then it gets really good.

Especially the bit about letting the artist dictate the content of the tattoo (if they're willing).

wicked article, i agree about being a pussy, which might be because i started bigger stuff in my late 30s, after 2.5 hours i am just no more.

i don't question other peoples reasons for getting whatever tattoos that they have.

as far as content goes though, one of my favourite parts of getting a new tattoo is talking to the artist and coming up with something together that both of us are stoked with.

i have been having the best conversations with prof ben raddatz about the idea of tattoo collecting that he saw when he was working in europe. guys with a mix of different syles from different artists.

whether that is your buzz of some kind of coherent body suit from a single artist i say go for it, it is your body, your life and even your story, so have fun with it.

I definitely don't enjoy sitting for tattoos, but I have to say, if you like your tattoo, you never remember the pain endured to get it. Still, I don't like to sit for longer than 3 hours at a time if I can help it.

A question for you guys with big ass tattoos.

My next two appointments are going to be 8 hours, one day after the other with a 3rd day spare just in case I pussy out.

It's going to be my upper arm, shoulder, chest (to the sternum) and ribs.

I have excellent pain tolerance and the longest I previously had to endure was 5 hours with the last 2 hours being on the ankle.

I'm planning on having a shit ton of food and a good 2-4 liters of orange juice.

I'm planning on meditating and keeping the arm for last or as an alternate if I can't stand the pain on the ribs / sternum.

Is this possible at all? It's really the only way I can get this 16 hour piece done. Oh and I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled 2 days after that.. I'm doing all of this at once because I'm currently training full time in MMA and getting me teeth pulled would keep me out of the game for 1 month due to not being able to take a hit to the face. I decided to get a tattoo just before so it gets the time to heal before I get back into slugging fuckaz in da faaaaace.

that is not something i would recommend at all. i actually had a conversation with my artist and the other artist who works with him about this subject. they both said they dont like doing anything more than 4 hours per sitting. (the client gets beaten up, which they dont like. also it wont heal as well.) and the artist is tired and you dont receive their best work.

though many artists are fine with lengthy sessions, just depends on the person i suppose. i know guy aitchison usually does long sessions but his clientele all know that ahead of time.

all in all if you got it scheduled already for those times, im sure your artist is cool with it so yes, its possible.

He usually does two sessions a day (two people). The 8 hours for him won't be a problem. I'm just wondering if it's possible on my behalf.

He's quick as hell. In 8 hours I could be losing a lot of fluids and I'm wondering if it could actually be too much.

Also, if the ribs are as painful as my sharp and bony ankle.... I will need a stress ball.

He usually does two sessions a day (two people). The 8 hours for him won't be a problem. I'm just wondering if it's possible on my behalf.

He's quick as hell. In 8 hours I could be losing a lot of fluids and I'm wondering if it could actually be too much.

Also, if the ribs are as painful as my sharp and bony ankle.... I will need a stress ball.

i remember my ribs hurting pretty badly but far from unbearable. why not just use the 3 days you planned on instead of the two 8-hour days? i like to think i have a high pain threshold too but i would never wanna do 8 hours

oh i gotcha now... i wouldnt know, the longest session i had on my ribs was 4 hours. i can personally say that at the 4 hour point, senses had heightened greatly on the area. nothing that was worth making any noise over though.

then again youd be sitting twice as long. my advice would be tough it out as long as possible and come back the next day recharged and ready to go again.. bring food/drink and see what happens man, i wish you luck on it.

The longest I've ever sat was 6 hours to half complete my full sleeve. I had to travel to Boston for it, and that upped my tolerance. I have to go back to finish it, and I imagine that will be another 6 hours. After that, I think I'm going to try to stick to local artists so I can sit for 3-4 hours at a time, tops.

I got my whole side rib inked just under the chest all the way to the back and waist area. 2 hours and 1 hour session. Ribs are a bitch for me. its like getting electrocuted while being drilled at the same time. The 2nd session wasn't that bad maybe because I kinda new the pain so I was psychologically prepared. My artist said i held on pretty good tho from what he has seen on other clients.

The ribs are probably going to be 2-4 hours, arm/shoulder 6-8, meaty part of the chest 3-5, sternum 1 hour or so.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeek! I'll live update (in december) and you guys will get to laugh at me.

'Ooooomg 2 hours in and I want to die. 6 more to go....

In the hospital, passed out like a bitch.'

Fingers crossed.

It's funny, I was in Kiya's situation not all that long ago. I'm now 25 and have a leg sleeve, and two half sleeves. The idea of a tattoo to someone who hasn't got any work done sounds like a fairly big commitment. Sure there are things you need to consider, but its funny how all your inhibitions about tattoos go out the window after you get your first one. It's funny how my parents reacted when I started getting tattooed at 24. My parents are both fairly conservative, but they respect the fact I waited and got tattooed by reputable artists (eli quinters, chad koeplinger to name a few) and not rush into a full sleeve done by some kid who hasn't been tattooing all that long. I always tell people to get what you like. Stop trying to find hidden meaning or put too much thought into a tattoo. If you like it, get it tattooed. You only live once.

i got my first tat back when i was in college. then my second shortly after i graduated. then my third a few years later... i kind of regret all of those.

the last two i got, i went to a good artist and just let them go at it. and i like them both a lot more.

I guess what i'm trying to say is... i made better decisions when i was older. and also could afford better work.

now, about tat removals... how painful is it really? how does it look afterwards? ...

Ok, i'm convinced.

The issue now is telling you guys what i plan on getting as my first tattoo.

I want to get the Tazmanian Devil on my arm with the word "ipuptos" underneath it. Obviously stylized a bit so it doesn't look like some Full Retard shit, but still not very cool by today's tattoo standards.

Tattoos are interesting, it seems there's an unwritten rule about not asking what a tattoo means to a person when you see it on somebody's body.

Edit: "ipuptos" = "suspicious" in Greek

Ok, i'm convinced.

The issue now is telling you guys what i plan on getting as my first tattoo.

I want to get the Tazmanian Devil on my arm with the word "ipuptos" underneath it. Obviously stylized a bit so it doesn't look like some Full Retard shit, but still not very cool by today's tattoo standards.

Tattoos are interesting, it seems there's an unwritten rule about not asking what a tattoo means to a person when you see it on somebody's body.

Edit: "ipuptos" = "suspicious" in Greek

Don't sweat today's standards - just keep bugging your friends with tattoos that are well done in a style you like and find out who did them. Then just approach the artist(s) yourself about your idea. You'll know when you find the right artist, they'll say "Cool..." and start thinking about placement etc.