Tattoos

my tattoo appointment is a week away and couldn't be more excited, but a few questions for you tattoo people.

I really hate asking about price and i am willing to pay however much my artist is going to charge, but would it be in bad taste to ask them for a rough estimate of time/cost for one specific session? I really just want to know so I can bring the right amount of cash to the appointment including tip.

Also I completely want my artist to design the whole tattoo, but would asking to look at a sketch (if there is one so far) a no-no? I just want to get even more stoked for the whole experience and seeing a sketch would just make me that much more excited.

these may be stupid questions but i want to hear your guy's opinions. i've gotten a tattoo before, but nothing in the realms of such a huge piece that i'm getting now. the artist i had before posted his rates on his website and it was small enough of a piece that he designed it maybe a few days in advance.

I get tattooed by two guys mostly and have no qualms asking how much it is going to be. I mean i need to have the cash on me in order to pay. For my chest ben o'grady showed me the drawing well in advance the second piece i got from him we organised it via sms and he waited to check on the style of flames which he drew when i was there.

Simon Morse was a comic book fantasy artist for years before he started tattooing and one of my favourites, i will mention a tattoo he will forget until i see him again, then like rain man, tell me exactly what i said,we has out placement, and when the appointment comes up he has always taken my idea further.

For me getting big work or multiple small pieces from the same guy is because of the relationship these guys are my friends and we are into similar stuff.

then again walk in flash pieces can be fun for different reasons.

I think its completely legit to ask how much and how long (even if just rough estimates)

You even said you wanna know how much cash to bring and all the places I have been to are cash only so it just makes sense.

As far as a a sketch... I think it depends on the artist because I have three pieces (that fill up my forearm) and the guy drew them up that morning so it wasn't really a possibility. I think that's the way he roles cuz my gf and some other friends have all had similar experiences. However, I think those things should all be cleared up when you book an appointment. Just ask questions man, no one is going to hate you for wanting to know what's up.

my tattoo appointment is a week away and couldn't be more excited, but a few questions for you tattoo people.

I really hate asking about price and i am willing to pay however much my artist is going to charge, but would it be in bad taste to ask them for a rough estimate of time/cost for one specific session? I really just want to know so I can bring the right amount of cash to the appointment including tip.

Also I completely want my artist to design the whole tattoo, but would asking to look at a sketch (if there is one so far) a no-no? I just want to get even more stoked for the whole experience and seeing a sketch would just make me that much more excited.

these may be stupid questions but i want to hear your guy's opinions. i've gotten a tattoo before, but nothing in the realms of such a huge piece that i'm getting now. the artist i had before posted his rates on his website and it was small enough of a piece that he designed it maybe a few days in advance.

from my experience with a large piece the majority may be draw directly on your body. with my first large piece, i asked my artist for a sketch just so i could mentally plan what he intended to do. unfortunately since he pretty much drew it freehand, i just had to roll with it. then again, if you're not happy with what is drawn, just get him to redraw it. however i still think my favourite tattoos are the ones i put no overbearing thought into and just went with the flow. a reputable artist won't give you a shit tattoo. hopefully.

Thanks for the rep guys. I'm really into collecting good tattoos so I'm glad other approve. Around Asheville most of the guys at Danny Reed's shop seem like they know what they're doing, but I definitely like Danny's stuff the most. His style isn't normally so traditional, but I kind of pushed him in that direction.

I got that vegan straightedge dagger when I was 15. It's a rough looking tattoo, but I love the character it has. I don't really associate with the straightedge label anymore, but I haven't done anything to "break" edge either.

And +1 for Smith Street. I have tattoos from Boltz and Krak, and I think that I'm going to go to them for my left arm. Really solid stuff.

is Scott Cambell totally impossible to get time with? or i just got to wait and get ready to get that call last minute?

anyone been to him... love that script, know what i want, but they did not write back.... whatever... just wait?

info?