Tattoos

has anyone here practised tebori? (tattoing self without machine, just needle and ink - ancient japanese style - or prison style, and pretty much all tattooing in ancient world)..

im getting my girl to track down some kobaien sumi (black/outline ink made from the soot from burning pure vegetable oil - only made in 1 place in nara prefecture)..

all those nice super quality fades you see on japanese tattoo's are often done by hand.. i guess there is just so much controll.. apart from the fact that it will take about 1000 x as long as machine tat's..

shes got a few her friends did when she was a teenager.. fucking hilarious.. but fucking nice.. its like tattooists 'art brut''..

Hmm.. well, about the guy who mentioned the regret by 40 and how tattoo limits you in society, there's a lot of places you can be tattooed that you would never be seen in an office setting. Shoulder, back, upper arm all won't be revealed when you are wearing a dress shirt, don't you agree?

Quote:

Hmm.. well, about the guy who mentioned the regret by 40 and how tattoo limits you in society, there's a lot of places you can be tattooed that you would never be seen in an office setting. Shoulder, back, upper arm all won't be revealed when you are wearing a dress shirt, don't you agree?

--- Original message by red120 on Feb 17, 2006 06:23 AM

Yes, I agree as long as you have the foresight to place them strategically. It is the foresight part that 18 year olds seem to have a problem with. In 20 years when they are 38 they may just regret it. 20 Years seems like a long time but man, it is just a blink of an eye.

My tattoos keep me young. I remember where I was and what I was thinking when I got them. I also remember thinking to myself, "If I ever regret any of these, then I've turned into what I hate"

As far as I'm concerned, the moment I start regretting them is when the younger me gets revenge on the uptight piece of shit I've turned into.

• 7 months later...

I'll contribute with pics. I have more but too lazy to post, plus getting more work done soon. Will update later. Some I regret, others I love.

Foo dog done 5 years ago. Faded like crazy.

24ot7ae.jpg

Praying hands coming out of flower. Done last summer.

24oulqs.jpg

Outline done for geisha, can't see the whole thing, bad pic.

24oujo7.jpg

Memorial

24oumo3.jpg

Reaper. This is pretty old, got this after the foo dog.

24ov951.jpg

Angel.

angelqo3.jpg

Crown, still some way to go with the filler.

crownyy3.jpg

Here's a few I've had for a while.

moz.jpg

stillillafteralltheseyears.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

5de06a5b.gif

8d4350cd.jpg

7370c5cb.jpg

Most done by Jeff Zuck at Name Brand Tattoo in Ann Arbor, MI. jeffzuck.com

It takes strength to be gentle and kind.

jeff zuck kills. i have been following his work for a while. i especially like the forearm stuff. and is that a morrisey tattoo? awesome.

true. having a closed mind can also be pretty limiting in society. some people just dont get it.

there are also plenty of things you can do besides work in a crappy office.

how are those tps reports coming dam?;)

jeff zuck kills. i have been following his work for a while. i especially like the forearm stuff. and is that a morrisey tattoo? awesome.

true. having a closed mind can also be pretty limiting in society. some people just dont get it.

there are also plenty of things you can do besides work in crappy office.

how are those tps reports coming dam?;)

Would not know what a TPS report is to honest with you. And truth be told, I quite like you tattoos, especially the boxers..having done quite a bit of boxing in my younger days. There are plenty of jobs other than office jobs, it just so happens that most of them don't pay as well. And the ones that do are not very plentiful. You would never be able to get the job I have unless you wore long sleeves everyday and albeit it is in an air conditioned office, it is far from crappy and would be most appealing to creative types including myself. It is however, a very conservative accounting firm and in Texas, so you would be quite uncomfortable not being able to wear short sleeves. I suppose if you own your own art gallery like cult or if you are in a rock and roll band or a bartender at a trendy night club you could do fine, but as I said...those jobs are not realistic to the majority of people. I am just stating facts I have learned in my 38 years. That much ink will limit your possiblities in life..period. If it is you goal to limit your life then go for it. Committing to not being something by use of ink certainly is going to work. No arguement there.

By the way..be nice or I won't tip you next time I order a beer.

^^ to an extent i agree with this dude. i have a fair amount of tattoo's and i have some friends who are completely covered. as for jobs, whatever, we all get by. but the point is outside of a metropolitain area you stand out of a crowd... you are probably assumed to be a criminal.

Would not know what a TPS report is to honest with you. And truth be told, I quite like you tattoos, especially the boxers..having done quite a bit of boxing in my younger days. There are plenty of jobs other than office jobs, it just so happens that most of them don't pay as well. And the ones that do are not very plentiful. You would never be able to get the job I have unless you wore long sleeves everyday and albeit it is in an air conditioned office, it is far from crappy and would be most appealing to creative types including myself. It is however, a very conservative accounting firm and in Texas, so you would be quite uncomfortable not being able to wear short sleeves. I suppose if you own your own art gallery like cult or if you are in a rock and roll band or a bartender at a trendy night club you could do fine, but as I said...those jobs are not realistic to the majority of people. I am just stating facts I have learned in my 38 years. That much ink will limit your possiblities in life..period. If it is you goal to limit your life then go for it. Committing to not being something by use of ink certainly is going to work. No arguement there.

having alot of ink is not nearly as limiting as you think. i guess if you get them for the wrong reasons in the first place or if you have no ambitions in life but lack of ambition is pretty limiting already.

im sorry your job limits your possibilites but stop assuming that is the case for most.

i have plenty of friends who are lawyers, work in offices and are "professionals" and have full sleeves, half sleeves, back pieces, you name it (granted most of them dont live in a "progressive" and forward thinking state like texas). one of my friends is a tattoo artist and he has done huge work on tons of professionals from all walks of life. doctors, lawyers, ceos, etc. do you have any idea what good ink costs? a full back piece can cost as much as small car depending on the quality of the work. its not just "bartenders", bikers, and "rock stars" getting tattoos anymore. i will admit tattoos can put some limitations on your opportunities depending on where you get them but no more so than a narrow world view and uptight attittude can (or living in texas for that matter).

maybe its because of where you live or your age (although you act as if 38 is so old. you arent too much older than i) and you are certainly free to be "offended" by something as innocuous as tattoos but your "facts" are just opinions and are pretty closeminded and erroneous....period. stop pontificating and condescending as if us tattooed folks just dont know any better.

If it is you goal to limit your life then go for it. Committing to not being something by use of ink certainly is going to work. By the way..be nice or I won't tip you next time I order a beer.

its condescending. no need for that. and if you are so offended why do you keep coming in the tattoo threads?

heres some words of wisdom for you. you should recognize them:

The old man turned off the radio

Said: "Where did all the old songs go?

Kids sure play funny music these days!

And they play it in the strangest ways

Everything seems so loud and wild

It was peaceful back when I was a child."

Well, man, could it be the girls and boys

Are tryin' to be heard above your noise

And the lonely voice of youth cries:

"What is truth?"

A young man sittin' on the witness stand

The man with a book says, "Raise your hand!

Repeat after me, I solemnly swear"

The judge looked down at his long hair

And although the young man solemnly swore

Nobody seemed to hear anymore

And it really didn't matter if the truth was there

It was the cut of his clothes and the length of his hair!

And the lonely voice of youth cries:

"What is truth?"

how are those tps reports coming dam?

my bartender comment was in jest and in defense of this comment made toward me.

i will admit tattoos can put some limitations on your opportunities depending on where you get them but no more so than a narrow world view and uptight attittude can (or living in texas for that matter).

you just proved my other point with the above statement. I didn't make the rules, I just live in the world. If you read closer you would see that I actually commented on how much I liked some of his tattoos and I don't have anything personal against them. My only point is that they will limit your options in a world that I agree with you... is close minded. I come to the tattoo thread because I do appreciate the art, but like to remind 15 year olds that when you get alittle older you might regret it. As much as you would like to think it not so, one day you age will outgrow your tattoos and you will no longer look as cool as you once did. The truth does hurt and I am sorry for that.

"doctors, lawyers, ceos, etc"

Another point proven, the majority of us will not become one of the above, we will have to function in a world with a set of rules and expectations that do not include full sleeve and neck tattoos. It is just the facts and it is not exclusive to Texas.

Additionally, my above comment regarding limiting you life was directed to an early thread where a poster said that he intentionally got certain tattoos so that he would not become one of the mainstream type "office worker" crowd and I was simply agreeing with him that his plan would be effective.

alright i definately dont want a flame war and you are definately entitled to your opinion but

I have not criticized other than a comment made in jest in defense of myself, you are excused.

you say this but its not the first time you have made your feelings known:

I refuse to accept the description of "SQUARE" because I detest the adornment of the natural body with nonremovable INK. Enjoy your turtle necks this summer! By the way, I work in a corporate setting full of young people and I may be the only one in my office that does not have a bunch of tattoos. Whose the cog now? I feel like I am the one who is truly different and who fights the trends. Be different, stay away from tattoo parlors.

Edited by damnIam on May 17, 2006 at 05:50 AM

my tps comment was the defensive one, in response to the above conversation months ago.

like i said you are entitled. no ill will man.

just ease up on the condescension. you dont need to preach to us about decisions that you feel were ill advised or laking in forethought. you might want to believe i will regret my ink some day but i promise i wont. i will getting more and im not that young.:)

This was also somewhat in jest and in defense of another poster who had called me a square and I will again repeat, it is not the artwork that I appose, nor am I offended by the adornment of the skin, I just think it is a bad idea. What i destest is young people who are not informed or overly ideal, limiting themselves right off the bat. It is very easy to go to previous postings over a year old a pull comment to defend a postition, it is also kind of lame. I have seen you do this before and not very convincingly. I have over 800 posts and I'm sure I have contridicted myself on occasion, most people do. I enjoy a good debate and would call this the farthest thing from a flamewar. I really don't do flame wars. As long as you stick to the facts, don't outright insult or use lame tactics it is all good.

It is very easy to go to previous postings over a year old a pull comment to defend a postition, it is also kind of lame.

I enjoy a good debate and would call this the farthest thing from a flamewar. I really don't do flame wars. As long as you stick to the facts, don't outright insult or use lame tactics it is all good.

i definately want to put this to rest. like i said no hate.

but the reason i pulled your quote was because my comment was directly referencing that conversation. that other poster was in act myself and i wasnt calling you a square you just took it that way.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=11290&highlight=tattoos+workplace

here is the originally coversation and if you read it you can clearly see my point.

i appreciate that you say you like tattoos but you have stated over and over that you find them offensive and you have taken a somewhat condescending tone and talked down to those of us that have them.

i defiantely agree that lots of people exercise poor judgement but some of your generalizations have been off the mark. that is all.

I enjoy a good debate and would call this the farthest thing from a flamewar. I really don't do flame wars. As long as you stick to the facts, don't outright insult or use lame tactics it is all good.

cool. agreed . shake hands. move on.

live and let live. to each his own. peace love and understanding. ;)

"I got all choked up and I threw down my gun

And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,

And I came away with a different point of view."