Tattoos

I saw that Man Ray tattoo on a bike messenger in Boston once. That was the first time I fell in love looking out of a bus window.

Met and was inspired by a painter in Cali -- starting a sleeve filled with her artwork. Here's the first piece. The rest is drawn out and with my artist and I'll try to update! It's going to be 3/4 sleeve of various, different characters she's painted:

dotd2.jpg

And some older work on my other arm. Waiting for my friend to return from Punta Cana so we can continue with this sleeve. Also being pulled down to 3/4 length:

DSC00339.jpg

Enjoy!

Edit: The artist who painted the top one is Sylvia Ji.

^ i meant on his back, INSTEAD of the inner arm

I don't think they would look good on a guy's back, maybe because I've only seen them on a woman's back. Along each side of the abs, just below the ribs might look good, as long as he has a decent stomach.

I love the Joy Division tattoo and the album.

Also I want to get a few opinions on a tattoo idea I've been toying with for a few months... I am a serious musician (music is my life) and I am considering having F-holes tattooed on the inside of my forearms -- yes, the hairless, white, very sensitive insides of my arms. I'm aware of the potential pain but I can deal with it. Anyone have any input on this?

**For those that don't know, F-holes are the sound holes cut out of acoustic instruments, such as violins and cellos, that help the sound resonate. They look like this**

45U-1026_f-hole.jpg

this big guy at my gym as f-holes on the back of his biceps. Hes a bodybuilder/roots guitar player. They look pretty dope

just wanted to get some input on this..

i really want to go to thomas hooper to get a sleeve done, but i live in california, is there any artists in the bay area that are similar?

or should i just dish out the money for the trip

anyone travel super far just for a tattoo?

"similar", I would hope not. Travel is just part of the experience you go through to get work done from and artist whose style you really dig. If you see something you like, you gotta go get it, because it is on your skin forever. It is not a pair of jeans that we can order online or over the phone and hope they fit.

I am not getting on your case, (as I am in the same boat, with the same artist) I am giving my opinion. I have 4 friends who tattoo, two of which are shop owners, and though three of them have staked out territory on me, I have yet to be tattooed by any of them because I want to get to Brooklyn first.

One could always take a picture of Hoopers work to someone else and say I want that, (which is lame) but if they agreed to do it (also lame) it still would only be a mimic of his style, and would inevitably be the mimics interpretation of the original style.

I would say not to waste your money on the trip if it is not Thomas' Hands that you want working on you. There are plenty of great tattoo artists in CA.

thanks for the input, some people had been telling me its not worth the trip (and time it will take to save) but ive been leaning more towards just doing it. i just wanted to get some opinions from people that don't know me so well.

time to start saving

maybe i'll be posting again here sometime next year

I've been tattooed by Grime and Matt Shamah at Analog - both are extremely good shops, arguably some of the best. That being said - if you really want a Hooper tattoo (who wouldn't) take the time/money to do it right - it's going to be worth it to save up and take a trip rather than compromising by getting a tattoo you're not 100% on. Don't take another tattooists work and ask someone else to do it, it's corny and anyone worth their salt probably won't do it.

Getting the right tattoo isn't about convenience or saving money. I've gotten numerous hook-up tattoos from homies, and while sometimes they come with a great story and look decent, it's worth it to get the highest quality tattoos. No bargain shopping.

I've been looking for artists to do my second tattoo. I was very happy with the first but my second one is going to be much larger, color, no expense spared, and i want it to be perfect. I'm getting waves crashing down from my right shoulder down to my right upper arm.

I want the waves to be done in the same manner as Hokusai's painting of the great wave. My only major concern is how to get the tattoo to 'blend' in with the background that is my skin. I've seen millions of tattoos that always look like they could have been cut out of a magazine and glued on. I want mine to sort of flow...

Anybody know good places in the Bay area or even LA? I'm hoping to stay on the west coast just because it's probably going to take a while to do.

yeah i never wanted another artist to imitate hooper's style, it was just what i was looking for. i don't really have too much of a direction right now i want to take an artists style and let them kinda mess with ideas i have.

and to evilcrayon you should check out state of grace or analog maybe? both are in san jose..

I dont know what Thomas's travel schedule is like but theres always a chance he could be in or near your town for a convention or guest spot.

yeah we've sent some emails back and forth, and i shot that idea by him. hopefully he does come by sometime..there are two main conventions in the bay area i know of so we'll see. if i had the money i still wouldn't mind going to nyc, never been there and i really would like to check it out...