Dior dumps Hedi Slimane

MikeN

how is this the same / different from what happened with tom ford?

i understood that, too, was a case of the house being uneasy with how much the designer was starting to define / replace the brand identity in the eyes of the consumer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Dior Homme can move back to actual clothing, rather than $600 Dior Homme USB drives, iPod mini cases, and traveling vanity cases for Dior Homme facial lotion and pimple cream?

Does anyone know just how well Dior Homme did financially? I mean, it was iconic and influential, but was it as successful for the bottom line as it could be? Compared to similarly priced designer menswear, the distribution is very small and controlled - thus narrowing its volume. Plus, a great deal of men just can not fit into Dior Homme.

Its obvious Dior Homme does not have the freedom enjoyed by more avant garde labels due to its scrutiny by stockholders at LVMH, so its mere existence means its obviously profitable.

Does anyone know just how well Dior Homme did financially? I mean, it was iconic and influential, but was it as successful for the bottom line as it could be? Compared to similarly priced designer menswear, the distribution is very small and controlled - thus narrowing its volume. Plus, a great deal of men just can not fit into Dior Homme.

Its obvious Dior Homme does not have the freedom enjoyed by more avant garde labels due to its scrutiny by stockholders at LVMH, so its mere existence means its obviously profitable.

Obviously it did well financially, otherwise Hedi wouldn't have had such an impressive payscale, and it obviously sold well or else they wouldn't have increased the price nearly every single season and yet still manage to sell. Secondly, any man could fit in Dior Homme. It was only cut super-slim for the first few seasons, then they relaxed the fit considerably so that the average consumer would be able to buy it.

KVA's fall 07 was really tragic. No uniting characteristics except sloppy, black and white, and random ass mardi gras beads. The fabric choices? I really hope he tries a different direction when he comes to Dior.

KVA's fall 07 was really tragic. No uniting characteristics except sloppy, black and white, and random ass mardi gras beads. The fabric choices? I really hope he tries a different direction when he comes to Dior.

This really doesnt bode well for the future of Dior Homme under KVA.

Maybe they will even scrap the whole of Dior Homme after this episode?

Why would Dior homme stop making the black raw 19cm denim if it's still selling like hotcakes? Even if Heidi left, that doesn't mean Dior homme can't keep some of his best selling pieces (like the denim and hopefully the trenchcoats).

Edit: And I know for a fact that they're selling like hotcakes and flying off the shelves at the dior homme stores in NYC and L.A.

Why would Dior homme stop making the black raw 19cm denim if it's still selling like hotcakes? Even if Heidi left, that doesn't mean Dior homme can't keep some of his best selling pieces (like the denim and hopefully the trenchcoats).

I dont think jeans at 300 US are flying off the shelf like no one's business.

They will just make some minor amendments season to season because no customer is going to buy the same black raw jeans season after season.

After finishing with distressed and acid wash, they will have black raw on one leg and indigo raw on the other leg, wordings on the jeans, big leather Dior Homme patch on the back, Dior on the back pockets.

I dont think jeans at 300 US are flying off the shelf like no one's business.

They will just make some minor amendments season to season because no customer is going to buy the same black raw jeans season after season.

After finishing with distressed and acid wash, they will have black raw on one leg and indigo raw on the other leg, wordings on the jeans, big leather Dior Homme patch on the back, Dior on the back pockets.

I cant wait. :o :o :o

I cant wait. :o :o :o

When Slimane took over Dior Homme, one of his vision was to provide great tailored clothes and cuts under the label.

In actual fact, if I am KVA, I will outsource the bread and butter stuff like indigo and black jeans that comes out every season to contract manufacturers to do.

It will cost peanuts to them and after that, they can sell it at us300 a pop.

Sure the discerning customer will know the difference, and the Dior Homme brand wil get sullied after some time, but most brand dont care about that anymore.

In actual fact, if I am KVA, I will outsource the bread and butter stuff like indigo and black jeans that comes out every season to contract manufacturers to do.

It will cost peanuts to them and after that, they can sell it at us300 a pop.

They did this a long time ago. Dior Homme minus the big tag tailored items was a made in Romania/Turkey/Italy/Japan affair.

They did this a long time ago. Dior Homme minus the big tag tailored items was a made in Romania/Turkey/Italy/Japan affair.

They did this for Dior Homme or Christian Dior Men?

Anyway this would be a good opportunity for them to return to outsourcing so as to maximise profits.

i can hope for two things:

1) he starts his own label and finally puts out women's wear (pumps fist)

2) he becomes designer for the women's side of a fashion house (pumps fist)

either way, time to save up for some 19 cm's....

i dont think hedi slimane is that great of a designer but he was dior homme. its going to be shit without him.

Luster was incredible. I haven't cared for probably the last six seasons and I think that saying that Slimane was not that great of a designer is an mistatement. Like I've said before, his early work was extremely impressive. Again, I've heard his work at YSL was quite impressive as well, I've just never seen it.

i can hope for two things:

1) he starts his own label and finally puts out women's wear (pumps fist)

2) he becomes designer for the women's side of a fashion house (pumps fist)

either way, time to save up for some 19 cm's....

I believe that his work for YSL was primarily womenswear, and I think you can see that he's been wanting to get back to it as well. The newest collection may as well have been for women, as far as I'm concerned.

At least Dior Homme can move back to actual clothing, rather than $600 Dior Homme USB drives, iPod mini cases, and traveling vanity cases for Dior Homme facial lotion and pimple cream?

LVMH forced him to make all that crap.. I guarantee it'll all still be there after he's gone.

Luster was incredible. I haven't cared for probably the last six seasons and I think that saying that Slimane was not that great of a designer is an mistatement. Like I've said before, his early work was extremely impressive. Again, I've heard his work at YSL was quite impressive as well, I've just never seen it.

I believe that his work for YSL was primarily womenswear, and I think you can see that he's been wanting to get back to it as well. The newest collection may as well have been for women, as far as I'm concerned.

He had a YSL Rive Gauche Men's line and it was not a minor line.

question...with his departure, what does he take with him exactly? Like you know how the house and kids are decided on in a divorce === what will Dior "keep" and what will Hedi take away? Specifically -- the skinny jeans. Despite the varying seasons, the raw 19, 21 cm jeans have been a staple of the label for a few years now. When he's gone, does that mean theyre not going to make this style or something like this anymore? You know what I mean? Season come and go and trends and styles come and go, but there are always basics that a house produces and I'm wondering if they will pretty much stick to or let the new guy completely transform every item. I've been putting off getting the 19cm raw indigos for what must be like 2 years now. They're really not on schedule yet for the next jean rotation. Should I get them while I still can or wait for the next season, his last. Also I like the Blanch cologne. Will this be taken away also when the new guy comes? I like to choose a scent and stick with it to make it my signature scent. I dont want to buy a bottle of that only to find out it will be discontinued when the new guy comes.