leather conditioners

mizanation

^ definitely.

don't know anything about kiwi leather lotion, but i know pecards definitely works on old dried up leather. but you may want to clean the other lotion off first. apply some pecards and let it sit for few days so that the leather can absorb the stuff. if necessary, repeat.

This is the stuff you want. You can get it here. http://www.obenaufs.com/

This will soften and preserve leather like nothing else. Off the shelf stuff, like Kiwi, has chemicals that basically decompose the leather, so it will get soft, but that stuff doesn't protect and eventually ruins. Anyway, no I don't work for them, but I highly recommend their product. Read more on their site.

DSCN2339.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I'm fairly new here and need some advice. I'm completely lost.

I got some leather items I'm wondering about which follows,

*Angelos leather wallet natural tan

*Red Wing iron rangers, black

*Leather jacket, black (think it's just standard leather from cow)

*Ruitertassen bag, cow hide

The bag is somewhat different. Here's a close up of the leather

ruitertassen_boekentas_2_comp_38_cm_rang

Angelos wallet is brand new, and feels dry. Red Wings are also new. Should I condition them before using?

I haven't conditioned any of the items mentioned.

Anyone who can advice me what to buy, to cover the mentioned items? As I said, I'm pretty lost. I haven't conditioned any of the mentioned items, ever. I have mink oil available. Am i fine with this?

Truly appreciate any help.

The wallet do not need much. You use it every day and it will take up lotions and moist and stuff from you hands. You can always give it a treatment with obenauf's heavy duty lp or even better the mustang paste if you fell that it needs it. The first choice is cheaper. Do not apply to often though.

I would stay away from the oils and Leathercleaners. 

If Oils are used. Use them moderately. My experience is that they change the color of the leather quite drastically if applying to much of it. 

I am no Leather guru by any means. There are those here with better knowledge of the subject  then me. 

Do not overthink it or overdo it. 

The red wings have been treated already (I think). So you do not have to apply anything on them to begin with.

Edited by nizzel55

The wallet do not need much. You use it every day and it will take up lotions and moist and stuff from you hands. You can always give it a treatment with obenauf's heavy duty lp or even better the mustang paste if you fell that it needs it. The first choice is cheaper. Do not apply to often though.

I would stay away from the oils and Leathercleaners. 

If Oils are used. Use them moderately. My experience is that they change the color of the leather quite drastically if applying to much of it. 

I am no Leather guru by any means. There are those here with better knowledge of the subject  then me. 

Do not overthink it or overdo it. 

The red wings have been treated already (I think). So you do not have to apply anything on them to begin with.

Thanks for the thorough answer. Much appreciated. I'll start using the wallet right away then, and hope it fetches some oils with use. I'll probably get some of that obenauf though while I'm at it, or something similar.

Any opinions what to do with my leather jacket and bag/portfolio. Leather jacket is not fancy, but it's great as far as looks and fit goes, so I'd hate to see it go to waste for lack of conditioning :).

I also have a natural tan belt coming in (yes i really been bitten by all these amazing leather items). Would obenauf be good for this too?

PS. nice to see i'm not the only "skåning" around here. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a tip for all Germans/Europeans, goodsjapan.jp (no affiliation) is selling 100ml of Seiwa mustang paste for $24,49 incl. shipping, which is a lot cheaper than for example the $60 excl. shipping that DC4 is selling 100ml of the "original" mustang paste for. Delivery took about 2 weeks and because of the low value, no taxes or customs :)

Seiwa_horse_oil_leather_balm.jpg