Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Fuck yes for 3 of my favorites being on the God tier. Tobacco vanille, oud wood, and Tuscan leather. Although I think either this weekend im picking up the neroli portofino at the Madison ave store, or wait until next weekend I'll get it at the new Beverly hills store. Seems to be more of a 'summer-y' scent.

I picked up a sample bottle of Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino on Saturday at his store (free 4ml samples) and wore it today since it was kinda sunny and warm, I've also recently been layering the Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille, together they create the most AMAZING scent. I've been debating on getting a large secant bottle of both of those fragrances, or maybe just buying more of his fragrances. Eventually I'd like to own all of his private blends, especially in large bottles.

Great resource, have ordered a few samples due to your recommendations.

Was wondering how no CDG made it into the list? Quite eager for my wonderwood sample to arrive.

I noticed that as well. I love my Wonderwood and for a stronger similar scent the Monocle Scent 1 is pretty rad. CDG's definitely need to be added to the high swag list.

Sorry I've been slacking in this thread guys.

So anyways, right now I'm thinking about getting a fragrance for the fall/winter and for summer evenings. I'm considering New Haarlem or L'Instant EDP but I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I got to try a sample of New Haarlem on paper but it was so boozy and the coffee scent was so volatile. I kept the paper and sniffed it a couple of times hours later but I never really got that vanilla/coffee combination that I was looking for, just the coffee. Will L'instant give me what I'm looking for? Do you have any other suggestions?

Go with L'instant, it should be exactly what you're looking for. If you're a girl give L'eau d'Issey Issey Miyake a try too.

In case your a du, there's plenty of summer choices, just make sure you don't get anything too effeminate smelling.

I picked up a sample bottle of Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino on Saturday at his store (free 4ml samples) and wore it today since it was kinda sunny and warm, I've also recently been layering the Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille, together they create the most AMAZING scent. I've been debating on getting a large secant bottle of both of those fragrances, or maybe just buying more of his fragrances. Eventually I'd like to own all of his private blends, especially in large bottles.

Weirdly enough I've been doing the same thing, get both bottles. It's totally worth it. Easily one of my better recent buys.

I actually meant to put CDG on the list, I thought I hit most of the critical ones, but I guess not. I'll add it later!

Wondering what people think of Molecule 01, CDG 2 Man, and Green Irish Tweed? Im going to sample all of them before I choose a bottle, but I would prefer some input as to which I should try first.

• 2 weeks later...

http://blackbirdballard.com/CB_I_hate_perfume_Apothecary.html

very intriguing collection here

for the first time i actually wanna order samples of all of these haha

At The Beach 1966 Water Perfume - "The effect when you wear At The Beach 1966 is as if you've been swimming all day in the ocean. "

Winter 1972 Water Perfume - "A field of untouched new fallen snow, hand knit woolen mittens covered with frost, a hint of frozen forest & sleeping earth. "

Fire from Heaven Water Perfume - "Fire From Heaven is blended from classic ancient incenses: Frankincense, Myrrh, Opopanax, Cedar, Sandalwood, Styrax & Labdanum. But the perfume's scent is subtle. Fire From Heaven is the memory of smoke. "

or maybe i just like reading these descriptions more than the perfumes themselves :o

would it be appropriate to "layer these" ?

from the reviews i've read most of the cb i hate perfume scents are underwhelming and have little lasting power. i agree though, the write ups are so intriguing lol.

also, to me jeux de peau smells like caramel popcorn lol

Looking some advice for a summer scent.

I'm planning on picking up these as samples:

mugler cologne

live jazz

monsieur de givenchy

eau sauvage

dior homme cologne

dior homme intense

eau d'hermès

concentree/eau d'orange vert

voyage d'hermes

un jardin sure le nil

terre d'hermes

bigarade concentree

guerlain pamplelune

guerlain herba-fresca

eau de guerlain

l'instant de guerlain pour homme

Any other recommendations?

All I have is D&G Homme at the moment.

cross-post from styleforum.

Thanks!

I have winter 1972, it's a pretty light floral scent but it last for hours.

http://blackbirdballard.com/CB_I_hate_perfume_Apothecary.html

very intriguing collection here

for the first time i actually wanna order samples of all of these haha

At The Beach 1966 Water Perfume - "The effect when you wear At The Beach 1966 is as if you've been swimming all day in the ocean. "

Winter 1972 Water Perfume - "A field of untouched new fallen snow, hand knit woolen mittens covered with frost, a hint of frozen forest & sleeping earth. "

Fire from Heaven Water Perfume - "Fire From Heaven is blended from classic ancient incenses: Frankincense, Myrrh, Opopanax, Cedar, Sandalwood, Styrax & Labdanum. But the perfume's scent is subtle. Fire From Heaven is the memory of smoke. "

or maybe i just like reading these descriptions more than the perfumes themselves :o

would it be appropriate to "layer these" ?

• 2 weeks later...

Went out and got the Maison Martikn Margiela this weekend. Not planned but sniffed it for the first time and I must say I find it really nice. great summer perfume. Only got the 30ml

mmmu.jpg

2 man is excellent but pretty strong, especially in the summer. my warm weather favorite is bois d'argent. absolutely fantastic.

pretty much every and all serge lutens also. I swear in nearly came in my pants the first time I smelled chergui and gris clair.

I know it's more mainstream, but do any guys here rock D&G's unisex line? Specifically #3, L'imperatrice? I tried to survey several women after a few sprays; some really abhorred it (being too girly), others were in love. So I guess it's pretty selective from that standpoint.

It is pretty floral and girly at first, but after it settles in it has some excellent masculine undertones. or maybe I'm just crazy.

need a new fragrance, been testing a bunch for the past week.

got a sample of tom ford grey vetiver and used it for a few days. liked it but not enough to buy it. The L'Occitane Vetyver is almost identical and i liked the dry down more + its 1/3 of the price.

tried a bunch others at neiman marcus tonight, no SA's around b/c they were closing so i can dick around at the counters.

comes down to:

hermes concentre d'orange

jo malone lime basil mandarin

jo malone pomegranate noir

loccitane vetyver

and still need to sample guerlain vetiver.

Anyone else get headaches from fragrances? So far, the only one that doesn't trigger a headache is ADG, which sucks because I've been trying to move onto less mainstream, non-fresh/citrus scents. Oh well, better to smell of ADG than nothing at all.

Lime Basil is stronger and spicer than pomegranate noir, which is more subtle. Up to you.

Also, guerlain > loccitane for vetiver...but IMO vetivers reminds me of gramps.

you sniffing the old school ones,

try

CDG - Vettiveru

Chanel Exclusifs - Sycomore

Lalique - Encre Noire

Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extrodinaire

you sniffing the old school ones,

try

CDG - Vettiveru

Chanel Exclusifs - Sycomore

Lalique - Encre Noire

Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extrodinaire

+1

Also Vetyverio by Diptyque.

I've been on a vetiver hunt, and these are my favourite by far.

Purchased a bottle of Encre Noire. Now deciding between the other 4.

=====

Been trying out a few more. Favourites so far:

1) Eau d'Italie fragrances are so fun to smell - Jardin du Poete

2) Nasamotto - Hindu Grass, Silver Musk

3) Penhaligon's - 1870, Endymion

4) Heeley - Sel Marin, Verveine

5) Diptyque - Philosykos, Vetyverio