Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

I bought this one without reading the reviews...which was stupid. I HATE the smell of almonds. I can appreciate that its a nice cologne...but what a stupid purchase on my part. All three of these are interesting...this is probably the most wearable. I get a christmas/clove vibe from Bois D'Argent...and Eau Noire smells like a nice indian restaurant...peculiar, but very nice.

Perfume nuts like me do stupid things like that...and believe it or not, up until recently it wasn't so easy to get samples for colognes like this. Many of the higher-end scents don't release samples, so you have to rely on getting a decant from someone online. I bought this one around 3 years ago.

Word on the street is that CDG will be discontinuing ALL their "Series" fragrance lines this fall. They're also introducing a new scent called "Luxe" which will retail for somewhere around $200/bottle, and two more new scents are in the works.

Rumours can be harsh...I hope its not true.

I agree about the sweet series, just too... ugh sweet for me. I like Skai and Soda from synthetics but hate the other three. Soda is a great summer scent and I really don't use it too often but it's fantastic on that one right day. Skai is one of my favorites, great for going out to unknown dive bars, feels very urban. I tried the Guerilla but don't really remember how they smell, I guess thats not a good indication.

If this info is true than I guess they will discontinue the candles as well.

Shit, I've always wanted to try the soda / skai scents since they sound like something I'd really like. Well, out of the synthetic series, at least. I've enjoyed some of the scents that I've sampled from the series, but those have sounded like the only two I'd wear, and I have yet to run across them.

Probably ought to get a sample / order something soon, in that case.

Dry clean has always sounded fascinating, anyone know if it's worth ordering a sample of? I figure I'll just order like 12-15 dollars of CdG samples (Soda / Skai / 53 / maybe one of the guerillas? or dry clean). I was tempted to try 2 Man, but it sounds a little too heavy for me from the description.

I would skip dry clean, to me it just smells like dry cleaners and other notes are not strong enough. I like Calamus from Series 1: Leaves, smells like grass, very fresh scent and great during the day. Maybe try Anbar and Vettiveru from Series 4 and Kyoto from Series 3. Try Guerillas as well, maybe you'll like them. I also love Odeur 71, Cdg 2 and Cdg 2 Men.

For all the Freddy Malle fans, the latest news is that there will be a (probably unisex) new scent called "Outrageuous". Its supposed to smell like "clean laundry".

ps - I tried French Lover...smells extremely similar to Angeliques Sous La Pluie, but a bit stronger, and less interesting.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Emporio Armani He? My brother loves the scent and I'd like to get him something similar but more refined.

I'm not totally sure what that one smells like...but I can probably guess. :P

Try Cartier...Declaration, Eau de Cartier, or Must De Cartier if he likes something spicier.