Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Swap Thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=62023

Links to fragrance resources/forums:

www.basenotes.net - mostly men's stuff.

www.makeupalley.com - handy reviews on what girls think about men's cologne (and women's products of course). Have to register to read reviews.

www.osmoz.com - general info.

www.perfumeoflife.org - another forum. $1 registration fee.

Stores:

www.luckyscent.com - CDG, Lutens, lots of niche stuff. L.A.

www.aedes.com - NYC

www.theperfumeshoppe.com - Vancouver

www.beautyhabit.com

Stores I DO NOT recommend:

www.lusciouscargo.com - shit service, if you get any services at all. notorious for totally ignoring orders, or making false promises.

www.1stperfume.com - scam, false advertising, avoid at all costs.

Blogs I like:

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com - no longer updated regularly, but still contains tons of reviews.

www.perfumeposse.com - daily amusing info/rants.

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com - bitchy fragrance historian...great info, good laughs.

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com - another daily, with lots of ingredient info and other details

http://www.peredepierre.com - mine and Tangerine's blog

http://ismellthereforeiam.blogspot.com

http://thenonblonde.blogspot.com/

http://www.nathanbranch.com/

Does this mean we shouldn't discuss new fragrances we like in here?

If not, one of my favourites of the moment is 'Jasmin et Cigarette' by Etat Libre d’Orange. The soft floral notes goes so well with the tobacco - giving it a really sexy, but still unisex, scent. I'm not that big a fan of either jasmine or cigarettes - but together they work so well.

If not, one of my favourites of the moment is 'Jasmin et Cigarette' by Etat Libre d’Orange. The soft floral notes goes so well with the tobacco - giving it a really sexy, but still unisex, scent. I'm not that big a fan of either jasmine or cigarettes - but together they work so well.

you lot are so funny its untrue...every picture is of you smoking and now you foo's want to smell,like a fucking ashtray as well. :lol:

Not at all...discuss away.

I've been dying to try all the Etat Libre scents since I've read so many good & bad things about them. I'm always tempted to just order blind, but I've got a trip to Paris coming up in the fall, so I thought I'd wait it out. Jasmin & Cigarettes seems to be getting the best reviews.

From Hypebeast:

Comme des Garcons is no stranger to the fragrance facet of fashion having released their first fragrance labeled “Comme des Garcons†back in 1994. Along the way they have created some innovative scents including ‘anti-perfume’, “Odeur 53″ which was the result of the blending of 53 non-conventional scents. April 2007 will mark the release of three new scents under their Play series.

Head: bitter orange, black pepper. lime and saffron

Heart: thyme, sage and sea notes

Base: oak moss, patchouli and musk

Although CdG prides itself on unconventionality, the Play series doesn’t find a central theme in invention and design, but rather the find approval through simplicity. Each perfume will be boxed in a plain bottle and box. Each 100 mL bottle will cost 60 Euros or $80 USD.

I've got the Secretions Magnifiques by them as well - but can't really get my head around it. Such a weird weird fragrance.. quite metallic - but kind of clean and dirty at the same time.

Always love to try the CdG fragrances because they are often so different and interesting - used to love Synthetic: Soda.

I've got the Secretions Magnifiques by them as well - but can't really get my head around it. Such a weird weird fragrance.. quite metallic - but kind of clean and dirty at the same time.

Always love to try the CdG fragrances because they are often so different and interesting - used to love Synthetic: Soda.

yeah man, i hella love those sick smells dude.

fukpics003oa8.jpg

That's the one that gets all the bad reviews...does it really smell like blood & man-spunk?

When I first heard news of this new CdG, it was billed as a children's scent...apparently its quite soft & bland...which isn't always a bad thing, considering some of the harsh scents that made them popular. Someone bought me a bottle of Garage...but I just couldn't do it. I still really love the Green Series, although now discontinued, and Rhubarb will always be one of my fav's.

Yep it does smell like 'blood and man-spunk' but not that literally lol. It is a little ozonic, a little metallic, a little musky.. it is very interesting and complex but I just can't get excited enough about it to wear it often.

Kenzoair is one I've been wearing a lot of - the mossy woods style suits perfectly for end of winter/start of spring.

I know this is going to sound lame, but has anyone tried Ruehl's scents? My girlfriend wears it, and it's absolutely the most alluring female scent I've ever smelled. I wear it occasionally, it's very woodsy-vanilla. Has anyone tried Ruehls men's scents?

I know this is going to sound lame, but has anyone tried Ruehl's scents? My girlfriend wears it, and it's absolutely the most alluring female scent I've ever smelled. I wear it occasionally, it's very woodsy-vanilla. Has anyone tried Ruehls men's scents?

I don't think we have that in Canada.

Yep it does smell like 'blood and man-spunk' but not that literally lol. It is a little ozonic, a little metallic, a little musky.. it is very interesting and complex but I just can't get excited enough about it to wear it often.

Kenzoair is one I've been wearing a lot of - the mossy woods style suits perfectly for end of winter/start of spring.

You didn't ask for recommendations, but I thought I'd give you some ideas to try next time you're out (only because it sounds like you and I may have similar tastes). My current go-betweens:

1. Rose Poivree by The Different Company

2. Angelique Sous la Pluis - Frederic Malle

3. Poivre Saramacande- Hermes Hermessence

4. Eau De Campagne - Sisley

(Someone who knows their stuff will note the obvious connection between all of these)

Being in a great city like London, you'll have access to try pretty much anything you like...lucky you!

I'm looking for a warm vanilla scent. Something mysterious and light. Something pleasant to the nose, and not very strong. Suggestions?

Comptoir Sud Pacifique makes specifically vanilla-blended scents. Its hard to find a "light" vanilla scent though...seems like most companies like to kill you with the stuff rather than use it gently.

edit - L'Artisan Parfumeur also makes a few, Ile Bourbon and Vanilla

Guest jmatsu
From Hypebeast:

Comme des Garcons is no stranger to the fragrance facet of fashion having released their first fragrance labeled “Comme des Garcons†back in 1994. Along the way they have created some innovative scents including ‘anti-perfume’, “Odeur 53″ which was the result of the blending of 53 non-conventional scents. April 2007 will mark the release of three new scents under their Play series.

Head: bitter orange, black pepper. lime and saffron

Heart: thyme, sage and sea notes

Base: oak moss, patchouli and musk

Although CdG prides itself on unconventionality, the Play series doesn’t find a central theme in invention and design, but rather the find approval through simplicity. Each perfume will be boxed in a plain bottle and box. Each 100 mL bottle will cost 60 Euros or $80 USD.

well at least niketown, union, and undefeated will be alittle more bearable (scent wise that is...).

if you want a yummy smell.... run over to Barneys and get a whif of the CoSTUME NATIONAL colognes.

I wish Scent Intense worked on my skin... it smells amazing on me for the first half hour, then deteriorates into smelling like laundry :(

Great thread.

OK, I want some recommendations:

I really like Cologne Bigarade in the Frederic Malle line of perfumes (the non-concentrate). Can anyone recommend something similar (especially in terms of the bitter citrus smell) that lasts a bit longer (other than the concentrate)?

Thanks!

You didn't ask for recommendations, but I thought I'd give you some ideas to try next time you're out (only because it sounds like you and I may have similar tastes). My current go-betweens:

1. Rose Poivree by The Different Company

2. Angelique Sous la Pluis - Frederic Malle

3. Poivre Saramacande- Hermes Hermessence

4. Eau De Campagne - Sisley

(Someone who knows their stuff will note the obvious connection between all of these)

Being in a great city like London, you'll have access to try pretty much anything you like...lucky you!

They all have musk as a base note.. except for Rose Poivree?

I will have to keep track and try some of them - I am a fragrance freak.. always trying new and interesting ones.

Have you tried Wall Street by Bond no.9 - a really nice take on a water note. (and a musk basenote!)

Great thread.

OK, I want some recommendations:

I really like Cologne Bigarade in the Frederic Malle line of perfumes (the non-concentrate). Can anyone recommend something similar (especially in terms of the bitter citrus smell) that lasts a bit longer (other than the concentrate)?

Thanks!

It can be difficult to find interesting citrus scents that are long lasting. I would try:

1. L'Eau D'Hadrian by Annick Goutal

2. Divine Bergamot by The Different Company

3. Mandarine Tout Simplement by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What's your aversion to the concentree version of Bigarade? I've never actually smelled the regular version, on the concentree...I wasn't aware they smelled that differently. Although I realize that in the case of some colognes (Eau Sauvage for example), the "intense" version looses the original attraction.

They all have musk as a base note.. except for Rose Poivree?

I will have to keep track and try some of them - I am a fragrance freak.. always trying new and interesting ones.

Have you tried Wall Street by Bond no.9 - a really nice take on a water note. (and a musk basenote!)

The bases could be a similarity...I was referring to the perfumeur though...same guy for all of them (Jean Claude Ellena).

I haven't had the chance to ty to Bond scents yet...I was interested when I heard they had a sample set, but opted out when I saw the price.

(Eau Sauvage for example), the "intense" version looses the original attraction.

Definitely.

For citrus that lasts - I still love Thierry Mugler Cologne.

On a more twisted note.. Gingerale by Demeter is a great citrus fragrance (or the Series 6: Soda by CdG).

Re: perfumer Jean Claude Ellena - I see he also did Terre d'Hermes.. easily one of the best of 2006.

Thanks for the suggestions gimmegimme! I will have to look into them.

I don't have any real aversion to the concentrate. I haven't tried it, but going by the original scent it is probably great. I guess my reasoning is that I already have a large (250ml splash) bottle of the original Bigarade, and I would rather spend my money on something markedly different than just buy the concentrated version of the same scent.

EDIT - thanks also to innA