Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

hello fragrance thread. i havent read you in a while, and i dont want to read you now, but rbw wants to strangle you.

and cotton duck thinks you smell good.

ttyl.

aww...its nice of you to come visit us while taking time away from starting posts that no one reads.

Yet another theme-list...this time for all you fig-fans (anyone...?)

1. Marc Jacobs for Men - as mentioned earlier in the thread, a nice, fresh fig scent, with a realistic-apple note and a hell of a lot of synthetics that give it that "what's that weird smell?....oh wait...its me" feeling.

2. Premiere Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur - considered the "classic" fig smell. Fresh, sweet, a bit perfumy, and leaning towards the feminine side.

3. Philosykos by Diptyque - known more for their line of candles, Diptyque make several beautiful linear scents (linear meaning they smell the same when you put them on as at the end of the day). Probably the truest, nicest fig you'll ever smell next to the real thing. Not as easy to track down as the others, but definitely worth a smell if you come across it.

4. Un Jardin en Mediterranee by Hermes - created by my favourite perfumer, this is a more fig-inspired scent, rather than entirely based on fig. Interesting, a bit woodsy, likeable and very unisex.

My favorite scents are wood-ish nature-y ones. Plants, not fruits.

Some soon to be discontinued items are going on crazy sale at Bath and Body works. Usually I don't find anything there to be of worth (especially for non-fruity scents), except this weekend I found my holy grail of scents for only 5 bucks per bottle: Sandalwood Rose. I basically bought a year's supply of it from Bath and Body works... my dreams have come true.

pbbw12236807t144yh0.jpg

My favorite scents are wood-ish nature-y ones. Plants, not fruits.

Some soon to be discontinued items are going on crazy sale at Bath and Body works. Usually I don't find anything there to be of worth (especially for non-fruity scents), except this weekend I found my holy grail of scents for only 5 bucks per bottle: Sandalwood Rose. I basically bought a year's supply of it from Bath and Body works... my dreams have come true.

Good deals...hope you don't get sick of it before you use it all! I've never once even bought a 2nd bottle of something...too many new scents to hang on the past! :D

After seeing a few posts in WAYWT by the guy (insert nick here) who's into all the historic reproductions, here are a few noteable historic men's colognes that are still in production...most of which introduced what most of us now think of as a "manly" smell:

6ewie79.jpg

Chanel Pour Monsier - from 1955, a classic "Chypre" (scent based on oakmoss) that allegedly the closest smelling alternative to Coty's Chypre (yes...at one point, Coty made scents that people coveted). Citrus, then spice, then soft & warm. Not to be confused with the bad 80's reincarnation "Eau De Toilette Concentree" which was reformulated to make it last longer on the skin.

6gyd5oj.jpg

Dior Eau Sauvage - from 1966, one of the first (maybe even the very first) to use a high concentration of the synthetic Hedione (smells like jasmine). This is a groundbreaking cologne that changed the way men's scents were created due to its simplicity. Classified as a Chypre, but with a citrus highlight. Yet another that due to public demand, was reformulated in the 80's and spawned the release of Eau Sauvage Extreme (black bottle)...again, not the same, and not a favourite of the original followers.

4u29ix2.jpg

Monsieur De Givenchy - from 1955, a very similar scent to Eau Sauvage, but less "green" smelling, a little more floral and more complex (possibly from the warm musky drydown...or the civet (anal glands from an african cat :eek:).

The best thing about the golden oldies is that you can usually find them for a steal at perfume outlets, ebay, etc. I know most young guys scoff at the sight of these with associations to their fathers (and his father), but they're still on the market for a reason, and were created by some of the best perfumers in history.:D

Good deals...hope you don't get sick of it before you use it all! I've never once even bought a 2nd bottle of something...too many new scents to hang on the past! :D

The whole reason I like woody scents is that it's something that has endurance, both in how much I like it and for how long it will represent itself as part of who I am. The only reason I wore other fragrances is because I get them as gifts sometimes and also because I wanted to explore and compare to find the ONE group of scents that I love.

Like I said, I friggin' love sandalwood, cedar, lemongrass... it makes me relive some of the best moments of my life.

That said, alot is going through my mind right now: Do you all switch fragrances every season? Are your tastes all that mercurial? Does the same go for your wardrobe?

Holy moly... i have made a mistake ... what if I only use it once and a while?

I was hoping to grow old with this... let's see how it goes.

Holy moly... i have made a mistake ... what if I only use it once and a while?

I was hoping to grow old with this... let's see how it goes.

Some people (especially guys) use the same cologne for their whole life. Considering this is a forum almost dedicated to people's materialism and love of new products, you probalby won't find many of those people on here. It would be nice to have a "signature scent" that everyone associates with you, but most people's tastes tend to change over time. Either way, if that works for you, that's great...but think how boring this thread would be if everyone just stated what they wore and that was that! :rolleyes:

just bought the prada man one , lovely smell , big bottle too , just dont drop it or let it fall over as the bottle leaks , which i found out

How many Prada colognes are there? I'm not an amber fan, so I wasn't crazy about their men's scent...very nice bottle though, even if it does leak!

Amber lesson: Amber as a perfume ingredient doesn't actually exist...its a coined term for a combination of ingredients. I've even heard people think that its the crystal amber...that amber doesn't smell.;)

The term amber probably originates from the ingredient Ambergis, which is a substance whales puke out...kinda like a cat's hairball, which then forms a beautiful "ambery" smell after it crystalizes and ages. Ambergis is a traditional perfume ingredient, and is extremely rare. People have found it on the beach and sold it at auction for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most ambergis is now synthetic.

Back to amber - its usually a combination of sandelwood (often synthetic as indian sandlewood trees are now endagered and an alleged 1/3 of people can't detect the smell of natural sandlewood), patchouli, and various other ingredients.

...I'm full of useless information.

best advice ever. made that mistake once! gotta switch for the seasons

I hate it when they only come out in big bottles...I NEVER get to the bottom of the bottle...I just end up giving it away. All the new Chanel colognes are in 200ml bottles...which is the only reason why I won't be buying any.

Anyone know colognes that are woody? Like bamboo? Or even a subtle rose-petal? Yling Ylang? Haha, I have predictavely bought into the damn aromatherapy marketing.

Anyone know colognes that are woody? Like bamboo? Or even a subtle rose-petal? Yling Ylang? Haha, I have predictavely bought into the damn aromatherapy marketing.

Gucci Pour Homme, Creed Bois du Portugal, Diptyque Tam Dao - all super woodsy, but very heavy and unsuitable for summer.

Voleur De Rose by L'Artisan Parfuemeur is an interesting scent that you might like if you like rose (probably the most masculine rose scent you'll come across). Just a hint of rose, and a deep woodsy patchouli base.

http://www.artisanparfumeur.us/

Hey Gimme,

long time no talk lol..I havent gotten much time to go out yet to pick up the colonge blanche, but ive been eyeing it for quite some time.. I plan on purchasing prada and this one because i need more than one scent when i go out ahah:p

Hey Gimme,

long time no talk lol..I havent gotten much time to go out yet to pick up the colonge blanche, but ive been eyeing it for quite some time.. I plan on purchasing prada and this one because i need more than one scent when i go out ahah:p

I wish I had such control when it came to buying new cologne...when I set my mind to one that I want, I don't wait very long!

More suggestions (does anyone actually read these?).

Most of the higher-end niche fragrance companies label their scents with name, and let you figure out if its for a man or a woman. Women usually have no problem with wearing's a man's cologne...but most of us boys stay far, far away from the women's perfume counter. Here are a few scents that are generally marketed towards women that I think are suitable for a man...and vice versa (bring on the critisism).

Women's for a man:

-Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle - sweet, heavy floral (tuberose) that would generally be directed for women, but is probably on every fragrance-lover's list of modern masterpieces. Very expensive, not all that "wearable" in most situations, but interestingly suitable for a man.

-Various Chanel's (No. 18, 19, Bois Des Iles, Cuir de Russie) - Chanel's nicest scents are only sold in Chanel stores...you won't find them at the Chanel counter in department stores. They're classy, expensive and rich smelling fragrances that again, are targeted towards women, but smell great on guys too.

-Scent by Costume National - another fragrance where the department stores weren't sure whether to place at the women's perfume counter or the men's...most picked women's...I would have put it at the men's

-Kingdom by Alexander McQueen - for the brave guy, this one bombed commercially, because it should have been marketed as unisex, but someone decided it was a women's scent and put it in a heart shaped bottle (which is quite nice btw). Remarkably better on a man's skin for some reason (apparently contains a note of female genitalia smell).

Men's for a woman: (do any girls read this thread?)

-Vetiver by Guerlain - I'll admit I just don't like the smell of Vetiver...but for some reason the a-typical smell of a man on a woman is sexy.

-Eau Sauvage by Dior - pretty flowery for a man's scent anyway, but very interesting on a woman because its unexpected.

-Terre D'Hermes - another "new" classic, wonderful on both men and women and should have been sold that way, but Hermes decided they needed a new men's scent, so that's where it went. I've yet to come across any woman that doesn't love this scent enought to wear it herself.

I got a 3.4 oz Coriolan by Guerlain bottle for $10 through clever talking to a sales clerk and wore that for the previous year, but now I'm running low and need something new. I also tried Bulgari Pour Homme but I found the spice of the pepper to be too overpowering and all the girls I previewed it to agreed.

I bought a bottle of John Varvatos off of eBay because the idea of leather scented cologne sounds great, but I am also looking for something lightier that can be an every day scent because I think the John Varvatos should be saved for a nice night with a lady.

I'm 19 and in college but I also work in an office, so... something that would work in either would be nice. any recommendations?

I got a 3.4 oz Coriolan by Guerlain bottle for $10 through clever talking to a sales clerk and wore that for the previous year, but now I'm running low and need something new. I also tried Bulgari Pour Homme but I found the spice of the pepper to be too overpowering and all the girls I previewed it to agreed.

I bought a bottle of John Varvatos off of eBay because the idea of leather scented cologne sounds great, but I am also looking for something lightier that can be an every day scent because I think the John Varvatos should be saved for a nice night with a lady.

I'm 19 and in college but I also work in an office, so... something that would work in either would be nice. any recommendations?

You can't move from something as elegant as Guerlain to just anything...maybe it would be best to stick with it...L'Instant is very subdued and interesting...if you can find a bottle, Habit Rouge Leger is nice for the summer and Vetiver is always a hit with the girls.