Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Since my purchase and new found love of Jamine & Cigarettes, I've been on the hunt for more jasmin-based scents that are suitable for a man (well, in my opinion anyway). If anyone is interested, here are a few that I've tried:

-A La Nuit (Serge Lutens) - yuck...too feminine, too heavy, drydown smells like shampoo

-Jasmin & Honeysuckle (Jo Malone) - very sweet, very banana-like (jasmin can do that), and again, too feminine

-Jasmin De Nuit (The Different Company) - cinnamon, spicy, then amber...where'd the jasmin go???

So no luck so far...still have a few on my list though, namely The Pour un Ete (L'Artisan Parfumeur), Jasmin Vert (Miller Harris) and Castile (Penhaligon's).

i also like the lacoste sport one. but i think is a bit too strong sometimes... if they made it a tad less strong, i would have used it as my daily cologne instead of my armani Gio....

btw, is a great time to buy cologne right now, since is close to fathers day, and they got great deals on them... like in here, lacoste sport in only $60cdn.

the jil sander for men makes me fell guilty when i wear it. d'orange vert is better but jil is like high school in a tilted bottle.

I guess you were in high school more recently than me ;). When I think of high school, I think of Fahrenheit and CK Eternity and Escape, and RL Safari. I still have a soft spot for Fahrenheit (still waiting for Fahrenheit 32 to arrive), but the others make my stomach turn. Like I mentioned before, aquatic/marine smells aren't my thing...if I wanted "fresh", I guess I'd go for citrus. You'll notice as you become more familiar with higher-priced colognes that you find less and less marine smells. Having said that, Creed makes a few in that category, like Erolfa.

i also like the lacoste sport one. but i think is a bit too strong sometimes... if they made it a tad less strong, i would have used it as my daily cologne instead of my armani Gio....

btw, is a great time to buy cologne right now, since is close to fathers day, and they got great deals on them... like in here, lacoste sport in only $60cdn.

Where in Canada are you? Good tip about the father's day deals...you can snag even better deals if you go right on father's day, or the following few days.

Not that you asked, but my suggestions would be:

-Eau De Cartier

-Eau Sauvage by Dior

-Jil Sander (I think its called Sander...can't remember, its in a bottle that sits on a tilt)

Give those a shot next time you're at the mall (the 3rd may be a bit harder to come by) and let me know what you think. I'm not a big "fresh/watery" smell kinda guy, but I like each of those.

alright, i'll try 'em next time i go shopping for cologne. may be soon because i'm always interested in changing it up. and as far as that 3rd one being hard to find, there's this shop in the mall where the whole back wall is filled with different brands. hundreds if not thousands in the store it's self, though i'm sure it's like only 15 feet deep and like 50-60 feet wide. O.o i've never been in but I'm kind of intrigued and will probably take a look sometime this summer.

Not sure if it's already been said, but I can't stand the smell of M7. I went into the fragrance shop having high expectations but ended up smelling an asian herbal medicine shop.

I was extremely surprised, but when I went to Banana Republic I found a fragrance called Slate which I like a whole lot. I'm not a buff on fragrances or anything and it's my first one and I'm really enjoying it. It's not extremely musky or anything and I find it to be a little sweet. Anyone else ever have experiences with it?

the jil sander for men makes me fell guilty when i wear it. d'orange vert is better but jil is like high school in a tilted bottle.
I guess you were in high school more recently than me ;). When I think of high school, I think of Fahrenheit and CK Eternity and Escape, and RL Safari.

Wow, at least you guys have that. High school reminds me of Axe and various deoderant body sprays.

I guess you were in high school more recently than me ;). When I think of high school, I think of Fahrenheit and CK Eternity and Escape, and RL Safari. I still have a soft spot for Fahrenheit (still waiting for Fahrenheit 32 to arrive), but the others make my stomach turn. Like I mentioned before, aquatic/marine smells aren't my thing...if I wanted "fresh", I guess I'd go for citrus. You'll notice as you become more familiar with higher-priced colognes that you find less and less marine smells. Having said that, Creed makes a few in that category, like Erolfa.

that jil smells adolescent to me. my roommate uses it - she is a lesbian.

isn't cdg2 a woman's fragrance? either way, i've never smelled it, but cdg2man is fantastic.

Its labeled as unisex, as most CGD fragrances are. I think CDG2 Man is the first one that's specifically designated for one sex. I think the only scent they make that I would find too feminine to wear would be Rose...only because it smells like rasperries.

Speaking of receiving compliments, I think the most compliments I've ever received from wearing any fragrance was CDG's Sequoia.

So I finally made my way to Chanel to smell their new line of 6 "exlusive" fragrances, which was added to the 3 already in the collection. BTW, "exclusive" is intended to mean, "yo cheap ass can't buy this shit at macy's even if you could afford it"...at least that's my interpretation.

Anyway, not gonna be high on many guys' wishlists, as they're mostly quite feminine scents, however, the Eau De Cologne (which, if you're not familiar, is the generic term not for the strength of a fragrance, as the word cologne is normally used, but a historic recipe that often smell lemony and fresh, and often last only as long as wherever you splash is still wet) is quite nice, and of course unisex. No. 18 also caught my attention with a sour, green note that's actually quite nice and definitely wearable by a man.

A bottle runs around $175-200 US, depending on your location, or $225 here in Canada for a 200ml (believe it or not, that's the smaller size). Very cool magnetic lid that corrects its position if recapped off centre.

Im very much in love with my armani black code..

ill soon be picking up prada for men and jean paul gaultier also..very masculine smell for prada though..the jean paul smelt very fresh however (EDITED)

as soon as i walked into sephora, i tried em both...i was in heaven:D

Im very much in love with my armani black code..

ill soon be picking up prada for men and jean paul gaultier also..very masculine smell.

as soon as i walked into sephora, i tried em both...i was in heaven:D

I'm fully supportive of everyone wearing whatever cologne strikes their fancy, no matter what it is...so please keep that in mind when I say...you seriously find gaultier "very masucline"?????:eek:

LOL @ gimme..

not jean paul..i found that scent to be very fresh and sensual...prada to me smelt masculine..should've edited that lol

gotcha...I'll allow that

btw...if you're near holt renfrew, check out Dior Homme's 3 colognes...a bit expensive, but the bottles are big and they last a really, really long time on the skin. Eau Noire is the most interesting out of the group, but Cologne Blanche definitely gathers a lot of compliments when you wear it.

^^ thanks gimme, ill defenitely look into that..

yesterday i was downtown shoppin with my friends at eaton centre..might go back though.

ill head to yorkdale tho, seems like the holt there has a very good selection, the one on bloor was good too just didnt find nething appealing..