Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

i had never heard of creed before the name kept popping up in this thread, so i did a little research. The 1st bottle i saw carried a price tag of $200- is there any particular reason for that ridiculous price?

i mean even companies that are high end designers in terms of clothing arent as expensive as that...

Creed is a particularly overpriced brand since they want to maintain their prestige. However, they are a very storied brand, considering they made fragrances for such luminaries as Marlene Dietrich and Cary Grant. Indeed, they even have a "Private Collection" for their past custom scents.

That being so, they have been 'diluted' by the fact that they appeal to people wishing to drop names--filthy types like stock brokers and bankers.

things smell differently in on a sample paper in store and when on you

i initially hated ralph lauren double black, i thought it smelt like diesel fuel

but then i sort of forgot about it and later recieved it as a gift, and it is one of the few

colonges that really works on me

however the best cologne ive ever smelt is:!!!

burts beez coconut bay rum cologne, i know its only burts bees and whatnot

but it smells so heavenly. but im always so emabarrassed to ask for it because its burts bees.

i had never heard of creed before hte name kept popping up in this thread, so i did a little research. The 1st bottle i saw carried a price tag of $200- is there any particular reason for that ridiculous price?

i mean even companies that at high end designers in terms of clothing arent as expensive as that...

The simple explanation for the costs of fragrances is the cost of the ingredients. Something like 90% of fragrances on the market today are created by 5 companies. The designer/brand (like Gaultier or Donna Karan) go to one of these 5 companies, and give them a description of how they want the scent to smell, who the target audience is, and how much the raw ingredients will cost. Most eau de toilets are 10%ish perfume oil (sometimes lower or higher) and the rest is alcohol (ethanol to be exact). That 10% can vary greatly in price...and is determined by the ingredients. Most fragrance chemicals are cheap, whereas natural ingredients are more expensive. Some oils like jasmin, rose, tuberose, etc. are very expensive, and also vary on their location of growth (France being the priciest). Creed and smaller companies who make their own fragrances have higher costs due to buying smaller quantaties, as well as "quality" ingredients. This, of course, is THEIR reasoning (I'm just paraphrasing).

Having said all that, Chanel No. 5 doesn't contain one natural ingredient (save for the alcohol) and is still pretty pricey...so you judge for yourself. (Side note - chanel produces its own fragrances).

i work for a financial advisory company, where employees have been warned to not wear fragrances that might be overwhelming.

are there any male fragrances out there that would be subtle enough to suit one working in this type of environment???

I have the same rule at work (which I ignore most of the time), but there are lots of subtle colognes. If you wanna drop some $$$, try Angelique Sous La Pluis by Frederic Malle, or Divine Bergamot by The Different Company...mid-range, L'eau D'orange Verte by Hermes or Imperiale by Guerlain. Just random suggestions...I'm no good with the super cheap stuff, sorry.

Know of any work-appropriate ones for women?

Btw, my colleague wears Guerlain Vetiver and it's not too strong

Most L'Artisan Parfumeur scents are very light and work-appropriate. La Chasse aux Papillon, Violette Verte and Mure et Musc are my favourite for women.

Speaking of Guerlain....the Aqua Allegoria line is also very light. Marc Jacobs has a trio of scents that arein the same category...I think there's cucumber and ivy and...something else.

Most of those are in the mid-mid/high price range.

From www.osmoz.com:

In addition to their new men’s scent Fahrenheit 32, Christian Dior fragrances is launching two more new fragrances for men this spring. Available from May 15: ‘Dior Homme Cologne’, a gentler version of Dior Homme in a larger bottle (4.2 fl, oz. €72). The cologne is enriched with orange blossom and citrus fruit. And from June 4, check out ‘Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir’ (‘Eau Sauvage Leather Freshness’). The original fragrance accentuates Sicilian lemon and is enriched with cedar and an amber-leather note that is, ‘masculine, but not animal-like.’ Limited edition 100 ml, 66 €.

Can someone do me a favor when they go to their local mall? Just walk into Ruehl, and tell me whether their scents are good. I know, it's Ruehl, but I'm not sure, but I smelt this vanilla scent, and it might be from them. It was amazing.

My favorite is London by Burberry. Their advertising describes it as a mix of tobacco, leather, and port wine. Whatever it actually is I fucking love it.

Can someone do me a favor when they go to their local mall? Just walk into Ruehl, and tell me whether their scents are good. I know, it's Ruehl, but I'm not sure, but I smelt this vanilla scent, and it might be from them. It was amazing.

I love the smell of that store. Out of that group of stores I think that's by far the best smelling one.

• 2 weeks later...

Note quite new news...but some info on Tom Ford's new collection of fragrances (care of boisdejasmin.typepad.com). I can see the general appeal for Tom Ford, but I can't say I'm even half-tempted to try these after reading his description for Black Orchid included a "man-crotch" note. :eek: You'll also note in the horribly generic descriptions of ingredients that his marketing ploys continue (what the hell is "pulpy fruit accord"?)

Amber Absolute (oriental) with notes of amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, vanilla bean

Noir de Noir (oriental-chypre) with notes of saffron, black rose, black truffle, vanilla, patchouli, oud wood, tree moss

Velvet Gardenia (floral) with notes of black gardenia, orange, jasmine, rose muguet, tuberose, dark plum, honey, beeswax, incense, labdanum

Black Violet (floral) with notes of citrus, pulpy fruit accord, black violet, woody notes, oakmoss

Tobacco Vanille (tobacco) with notes of tobacco leaf, spice notes, tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilla, cocoa, dry fruit, sweetwood sap

Oud Wood (woods) with notes of rosewood, cardamon, Chinese pepper, oud wood, sandalwood, vetiver, tonka bean, vanilla, amber

Purple Patchouli (woods) with notes of orchid, citrus, leather, purple patchouli accord, spices, amber, patchouli, Peru balsam, vetiver

Bois Rouge (woods) with notes of citrus, spice, cedarwood, patchouli, jasmine muguet, sandalwood, vetiver, amber, leather, vanilla and tonka bean

Moss Breches (woods-chypre) with notes of fresh wood, spice notes, beeswax absolute, Moroccan clary sage, Hungarian tarragon, Corsican rosemary, labdanum, patchouli, benzoin

Tuscan Leather (leather-chypre) with notes of saffron, raspberry, thyme, olibanum, jasmine, leather, black suede, amberwood

Neroli Portofino (cologne) with notes of citrus, floral notes, amber

Japan Noir (cologne) with notes of spices, purple patchouli, porto noir, night blooming jasmine, leather, amber, vetiver

Know of any work-appropriate ones for women?

Btw, my colleague wears Guerlain Vetiver and it's not too strong

Givenchy has a line of perfumes for new borns called Tartine Et Chocolat Ptisenbon, which I usually wear to work. Very fresh and citrusy, but not child-like, and the scent is very subtle and pleasant.

Givenchy has a line of perfumes for new borns called Tartine Et Chocolat Ptisenbon, which I usually wear to work. Very fresh and citrusy, but not child-like, and the scent is very subtle and pleasant.

At first I thought "new borns" was a description for hip stylish people...then I realized you were talking about babies....duh. I was wondering why this perfume wasn't ringing a bell with me. Anyway, I have a friend who loves baby/kids perfumes because they're so quiet and soft, and usually don't contain much/any alcohol. A few others to try are Bvlgari's "Petit et Mamans" and Guerlain has a few too I believe.

Some more info on CDG's new fragrance from Wallpaper (care of nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com):

"...the proof is in the perfume. A blend of bitter orange and saffron should guarantee that it fares better than previous offering Odeour53 [sic], an oddly-titled blend of 53 scents that didn’t score many points and was soon withdrawn*. But knowing Comme des Garcons, this might well have been intentional."

Also noted by the blogger is that 53 has not been discontinued to her (or my) knowledge. Also noted is that 53 is strangely not very odd smelling and did quite well...why else would they have released 71?

At first I thought "new borns" was a description for hip stylish people...then I realized you were talking about babies....duh. I was wondering why this perfume wasn't ringing a bell with me. Anyway, I have a friend who loves baby/kids perfumes because they're so quiet and soft, and usually don't contain much/any alcohol. A few others to try are Bvlgari's "Petit et Mamans" and Guerlain has a few too I believe.

I need to go sniff those ones. I really enjoy baby perfumes as well, though i doubt I would ever let my child wear one when I have one(baby scents are the best smell!).

I am a strict believer of wearing a very small amount of perfume, just enough for myself and for whoever is close to me to enjoy... so these baby perfumes work well. It never gets overwhelming!

Givenchy Pi wasn't vanilla enough for me. I got my samples from D'Artisan, and their vanilla scent was great. I'm still looking for something a bit more vanilla.

Wow, Pi not vanilla enough for you? You must really like Vanilla.

I wear Silver Mountain Rain by Creed EDP (nice clean, fresh notes great cool/cold weather scent), Geir and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (probabaly one of my fav "woodsy" scents--smells AWESOME in warm weather).

That Burberry London smelled really good, I liked Brit, btu I think I like London more. Oriental scents can be...too much sometimes.

basenotes.com is a great site.

Wow, Pi not vanilla enough for you? You must really like Vanilla.

I wear Silver Mountain Rain by Creed EDP (nice clean, fresh notes great cool/cold weather scent), Geir and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (probabaly one of my fav "woodsy" scents--smells AWESOME in warm weather).

That Burberry London smelled really good, I liked Brit, btu I think I like London more. Oriental scents can be...too much sometimes.

basenotes.com is a great site.

Nice picks...you'd probably like Himalaya by Creed if you like SMW (its silver mountain water btw...but close enough :P).

I know everyone loves their fresh/citrus/aquatic smells for summer...but for some reason I always go for cool/peppery smells when I think of warm weather. My top pepper/spicey picks:

1. Poivre Saramacande by Hermes - quite expensive, but really, really worth it

2. Angeliques Sous La Pluis - fruity name, but quite a masculine, peppery smell (to me anyway)

3. Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur - not much else to say, but "peppery"

Anyone else have any themed-favourite lists?

Nice picks...you'd probably like Himalaya by Creed if you like SMW (its silver mountain water btw...but close enough :P).

Ah, yeah. =-) It's raining here so.. But yeah, Silver Mt. Water.

I've smelled just about all the Creed scents, including Himalaya, but my next pick would probably be Imperial.

I like a lot of stuff by Bond #9 New York but I can't remember their names...

Also, Miller Harris of London has some incredible scents, namely Citron Citron--WOW.

Ah, yeah. =-) It's raining here so.. But yeah, Silver Mt. Water.

I've smelled just about all the Creed scents, including Himalaya, but my next pick would probably be Imperial.

I like a lot of stuff by Bond #9 New York but I can't remember their names...

Also, Miller Harris of London has some incredible scents, namely Citron Citron--WOW.

I owned a bottle of SMW and Imperial, but I gave them both away...I find most Creed's have a strange metallic smell in them that bothers me (they were both gifts btw). I can see the appeal, but they're not my thing.

I've yet to try Miller Harris, but I'd definitely like to. I've totally avoided smelling Bond No. 9 purely on the designs of the bottles...I find them tacky...I know that shouldn't matter...I'm a judge-a-book kinda guy I guess.

Have you tried Etat Libre D'Orange? I have two bottles on the way purchased unsniffed (bad plan).

I owned a bottle of SMW and Imperial, but I gave them both away...I find most Creed's have a strange metallic smell in them that bothers me (they were both gifts btw). I can see the appeal, but they're not my thing.

I've yet to try Miller Harris, but I'd definitely like to. I've totally avoided smelling Bond No. 9 purely on the designs of the bottles...I find them tacky...I know that shouldn't matter...I'm a judge-a-book kinda guy I guess.

Have you tried Etat Libre D'Orange? I have two bottles on the way purchased unsniffed (bad plan).

I have not. Two bottle? Unsniffed? Bit of a risk taker are we?

Creed does tend to have a bit of a weird smell to them awhile after the dry down. A lot of it has to do with your skin chemistry.

I have not. Two bottle? Unsniffed? Bit of a risk taker are we?

Creed does tend to have a bit of a weird smell to them awhile after the dry down. A lot of it has to do with your skin chemistry.

It does go away after a while...but its enough to make me not want to wear it. Have you smelled the new Virgin Island? Again, not my thing, but perfect for someone who loves the smell of suntan lotion.

Ya...two bottles...what the hell. If I don't like them, someone will be getting a nice gift. I'm trying Jasmin & Cigarettes and Vierges & Toreros. I like florals that have dirty smells in them...J&C is obvious, V&T is Tuberose with "animal notes".

I love 'Jasmine et Cigarettes' :D

Also, 'Black Orchid' is absolutely beautiful - my girlfriend got it a few months back. You can definitely tell Tom Ford is behind it... sex + incense, but not as overpowering as some past ones.

I love 'Jasmine et Cigarettes' :D

Also, 'Black Orchid' is absolutely beautiful - my girlfriend got it a few months back. You can definitely tell Tom Ford is behind it... sex + incense, but not as overpowering as some past ones.

Oy...I hope I like it...I wasn't crazy about Black Orchid...but I'm not usually one to like gourmand smells. I guess its technically a floral, but it smells more like vanilla and sweet things to me.

So I received my blind Etat Libre purchases (if anyone's interested). Jasmin & Cigarettes is exactly what I thought it would be...at first I thought...oh god...I paid how much for a bottle of tobacco? But after wearing it for a while and adjusting to it...I'm very happy with it.

Vierge & Torerors is a bit of a different story...its nice...but its REALLY strong. It sorta makes you smell like you've been sitting in the sun for a while...a salty, sweaty smell. Maybe I need to try it at night. Tuberose is a strange scent...I'm still not sure if I love it or hate it. :confused:

Side note - I order from this store in Germany: http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/index.php?language=en

Great service...great selection...and contrary to my own pratices, you can purchase samples of anything the sell.

i love my aqua di parma-arancia di capri at the moment.mmmh,so orangy.i also use guerlain-herba fresca,origins-gloomaway scent,lancome-body tonic(the green one) and an older escada limited edition called lily chic.i love fresh scents.from most scents on the market i get a headache or feel sick.the bad thing about all the scents i use is that they don't last very long.i really want to try the new creed-virgin island water.someone here said its very cocobutter style.in a sickly way?

hey,gimmegimme,i've ordered from ausliebezumduft before!(i am german) i thought the service to order lots of samples for not much money is great.i remember ordering lots of samples but liking none of them haha.

i love my aqua di parma-arancia di capri at the moment.mmmh,so orangy.i also use guerlain-herba fresca,origins-gloomaway scent,lancome-body tonic(the green one) and an older escada limited edition called lily chic.i love fresh scents.from most scents on the market i get a headache or feel sick.the bad thing about all the scents i use is that they don't last very long.i really want to try the new creed-virgin island water.someone here said its very cocobutter style.in a sickly way?

hey,gimmegimme,i've ordered from ausliebezumduft before!(i am german) i thought the service to order lots of samples for not much money is great.i remember ordering lots of samples but liking none of them haha.

I was probably the one who said Virgin Island Water was cocobuttery...but if you like that sort of thing, you'll probably like it. I'd also suggest Bahiana by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier...very similar, but better. Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur is also in a similar style. Not sure which one would have the best lasting power.