Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

From OsMoz (www.osmoz.com):

"In May, Frédéric Malle will be launching a new fragrance designed by perfumer Pierre Bourdon and christened French Lover. Frédéric Malle’s original idea was to create a fuller-bodied version of the scent Angéliques sous la Pluie. But the creator and the perfumer soon went beyond that concept to come up with a sophisticated men’s scent, ‘super-sensual, but not trashy.’ The ingredients include dazzling green notes of pimento and galbanum, iris, cedar, trimofix, angelica, frankincense and vetiver. Mosses, musks, ambroxan and karanal bestow ‘a kind of plant-based animal quality that immediately evoked the smell of a man’ [for the creators]. 1.7 fl. oz.: €90; 3.4 fl. oz.: €135."

Can't wait.:D

eBay has recently decided to boot off all of its "decant" sellers off the site...meaning, all the people that buy a bottle for $50-100 (or whatever), and a bag of empty sample bottles, then split the bottle up and hawk them on ebay for a profit. To some, this is a great service when you have no access to try a scent and don't want to drop big bucks for the full bottle. To others, this is an obnoxious scam that takes advantage of the "less-discriminating" buyer. In either case...they're gone now. Apparently eBay used intellectual property infringement as reasoning.

On another eBay note...please don't be an idiot about purchasing fragrances (or anything for that matter) on eBay...follow the general "if its too good to be true..." rule. If you see a bottle of Creed for $50, there's probably something fishy about it (and most likely the smell of whatevers inside). Believe it or not, its a lucrative business producing/selling fake colognes and perfumes. Reading the seller's reviews is not always the best way of deciding if something is genuine...you'll just end up reading a bunch of other idiots reviews of how they received their fake Creed super fast and how they love it! Know what the bottle looks like, know what the box looks like, and ask questions. :D

Gimmegimme or anyone else, have any of your tried the CdG Synthetic Series "Skai?" It sounds fascinating, and appears to be a "cleaner" scent, which fits very much with my aesthetic. Basenotes reviewers seem to be giving it the best reviews of the Series 6 synthetic scents.

Or, on a side note, if you have a suggestion of a nice "clean" scent, I'd appreciate it. I love the smell of plastics and leather and some of the things in the synethic series more than really smoky or flowery scents.

Now that the decanters are gone, is there somewhere to find samples of the synthetic series?

Gimmegimme or anyone else, have any of your tried the CdG Synthetic Series "Skai?" It sounds fascinating, and appears to be a "cleaner" scent, which fits very much with my aesthetic. Basenotes reviewers seem to be giving it the best reviews of the Series 6 synthetic scents.

Or, on a side note, if you have a suggestion of a nice "clean" scent, I'd appreciate it. I love the smell of plastics and leather and some of the things in the synethic series more than really smoky or flowery scents.

Now that the decanters are gone, is there somewhere to find samples of the synthetic series?

really breaks my heart into two pieces the way you lot hella just ignore me and give me bad reps all the time.

I'm not a big fan of the Synthetic series...but that's a personal preference. They're exactly what they say they are...so if you like plastic-y smells, you'll love them. Skai is one of the betters onse though, as well as Soda and Dry Clean. I would avoid Garage and Tar...

If you're into the laundry-clean smells, there's actually a brand called Clean. A bit too snuggle/downy smelling to me, but people who like laundry smells will like it. We all have different associations with the term "clean smelling". Personally, I'm looking to get a classic "eau de cologne" type fragrance for the summer...possibly Chanel's new cologne, or maybe Guerlain or Acqua di Parma...or CDG's cologne line for that matter.

As far as the decants/samples go...I would go with Platypus' recommendation of ordering them directly from a store. Luckyscent is a great store, as well as Luscious Cargo, The Perfume Shoppe, etc. They usually charge a modest fee but its very much worth it.

really breaks my heart into two pieces the way you lot hella just ignore me and give me bad reps all the time.

You gotta say somethin to be ignored dude...posting pics and saying "sick" doesn't give much direction...I'd love to hear your thoughts and recommendations! :D

Dior Homme.

Are you recommending a fresh scent or just generally giving props?

For those of you interested in Dior fragrances, I read they're re-interpreting Farenheit and introducing a new bottle designed by Hedi (pre-departure I guess). Haven't heard too much about it since I read that though.

For 'clean scents':

Tommy Hilfiger 'T' - amazing fragrance that got totally overlooked.. it has an accord that smells exactly like fresh washing with a citrus/aldehyde burst at the start.

Clean - this is super-clean smelling.. I really can't stand it because it has a powder/musk fusion that I find quite repulsive.

Dior Higher - a bit of a different take on fresh.. pear and basil make it fresh and subtle.

Kenzo Pour Homme - fresh like the beach.. slightly woody, but still a classic fresh 'water' fragrance

Thierry Mugler Cologne - much more citrus than the rest.. but it has a fantastic 'fresh soap' smell.

I've been using the amber bottle of Hugo Boss for like 5 years now. It's been my staple scent and I'm sticking to it. Other's that I have used/liked is Issey Miyake that my roomate from hell gave me as a peace offering when we finally moved out. Recently I've been very pleased by the "Blanche" cologne from Dior. Anybody good at making up scents? A friend of mine revealed his secret scent to me that was a combination of a lesser known fragrance with shockingly, a low end body spray. The end result is very good but put too much of the second ingredient and you'll smell so feminine, people will think you're a 16 year old virgin frolicking in the meadow.

I've been using the amber bottle of Hugo Boss for like 5 years now. It's been my staple scent and I'm sticking to it. Other's that I have used/liked is Issey Miyake that my roomate from hell gave me as a peace offering when we finally moved out. Recently I've been very pleased by the "Blanche" cologne from Dior. Anybody good at making up scents? A friend of mine revealed his secret scent to me that was a combination of a lesser known fragrance with shockingly, a low end body spray. The end result is very good but put too much of the second ingredient and you'll smell so feminine, people will think you're a 16 year old virgin frolicking in the meadow.

I wish I could stick with one cologne...its like jeans...I have a favourite I swear I'm going to wear everyday...until a see/smell something new and then it all goes to hell. :mad:

I avoid mixing scents...I figure someone worked really hard at creating something, so I'm not going to play with it. If I didn't like it enough to wear it on its own...I probalby wouldn't have bought it. But to each their own! :D However, if anyone is interested in making their own perfume from scratch, I have some tips on that (I hope I'm not coming across as a know-it-all asshole).

For the high school crowd, would you recommend Lacoste Essential or KCole Reaction? or.. something else?

Kouron? :D

anyway I haven't tried either of them yet but I've heard good things, just wondering which people seem to think would be better.

basically.. I want to smell good, but not make it obvious that I'm wearing cologne; something light and unoffensive.

^^ Oy...its Kouros...its great to see you making a conscious effort to smell good, but not "too" good. I'm gonna assume that you're wanting a cologne that's made a designer who's clothes you'd wear...so here are my suggestions:

Lacoste isn't a bad option...they have a bunch, so your options are open. I'd stay away from CK's...you don't wanna smell like everyone else. Ditto for RL and DKNY...how about Paul Smith (the green bottle)? Smells light & grassy.

How long will the Paul Smith last? will it be completely unnoticeable after a few hours? Same question for the Lacoste. It might be too much to ask, but is there something magical cologne that will last 7 hours but still be light and casual enough for school?

I find for the most part, the life of a fragrance when worn varies amongst people, it must have to do with skin types.

Most of my fragrances last around 5 hours, infact I like how they smell when they are almost "worn out". I have a couple of Lacoste colognes and they are the same.

The only exception of the dozen colognes I have is CDG Odeur 71. This stuff is like the Duracell of cologne....it keeps going, and going and...you get the idea. In fact you can smell it on jackets and stuff days after you have worn them and the cologne together. So I reccommend to everyone, if you have CDG, spray it more sparingly than any other cologne.

I didn't find that with 71? But as you said...different skin types hold cologne differently. Technically, the oilier your skin, the longer a scent will last, because dry skin absorbs the oils in the cologne making the scent diminish. That's why so many fragrances have creams and lotions in their product lines. They say that if you "layer" the products (cream first, then spray), it will last longer. I've found that most creams don't have enough of the scent in them to make any difference between using them and using a standard moisturizer first. Having said that, companies like Frederic Malle's lotions have SO much fragrance in them that you don't even need the spray afterwards!

In any case, the longetivity and lasting power of colognes is often a huge deciding factor for most people, and the only way to really know how long it lasts on you is to sample it and see for yourself. Generally though, an eau de parfum contains more of the fragrance oil and will last longer than an eau de toilet. A perfume oil (the tiny little bottles that cost a fortune) essentially lasts the longest, having the highest concentration, but stays closer to the skin (meaning they don't project for others to smell as much) due to there being a lower/lack of alcohol to evaporate (which is the key to a fragrance "wofting" through the air).

To answer the Paul Smith/Lacoste question - they're both "average" at best for lasting power. If its a huge deal to you...reapply! :P

the ultimate man-smell for me is ultramarine by givenchy. i love it so much that i even own a bottle and wear is occasionally :)

also, a certain scent on someone might not smell the same when you wear it. for example, chance by chanel smells amaznig on my friend, but it smells like a $4 drug store cheap perfume on me.

so i always recommend getting a sample before you purchace a whole bottle.

Burberry Touch does work wonders very nice readily available cologne .

You guys ever smell THE perfume for a female though ?

I've found it - Cashmere Mist by Donna Karen wow

Gucci Pour Homme II smells really good..i was skeptical due to the usual Musky, old man smell of the previous cologne. Suprisingly it comes off really light but smells really bold if you catch a wiff.