Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Loving the Absinth by Nasomatto - great soft scent - perfect for now I'd say.

got a sample of this and i've been digging it. pretty easy opening and nothing overwhelming that would offend others, esp. ones with sensitive noses.

not similar, but i've also been playing around with encre noire. didn't really enjoy it much at first and i couldn't pick up that "black ink smell" they are trying to evoke. after a few days however it had started to grow on me. the hint of spilled ink is subdued on my skin, which then gradually evolves to a more powdery note yet maintains a smell of dye in the backdrop. sillage is medium and can last all day. can wear around the office or on a night out getting ratchet. i like this one a lot.

Bought CDG Patchouli Luxe and have to say, loving every moment of it, dry, heady sumptuous, even better that is cost me £50 ($75) for the 100ml inc shipping.

Bargain !! Highly recommended too, especially you Avignon lovers out there.

got a sample of this and i've been digging it. pretty easy opening and nothing overwhelming that would offend others, esp. ones with sensitive noses.

not similar, but i've also been playing around with encre noire. didn't really enjoy it much at first and i couldn't pick up that "black ink smell" they are trying to evoke. after a few days however it had started to grow on me. the hint of spilled ink is subdued on my skin, which then gradually evolves to a more powdery note yet maintains a smell of dye in the backdrop. sillage is medium and can last all day. can wear around the office or on a night out getting ratchet. i like this one a lot.

I love Encre Noire, a great earthy vetiver which develops into a lovely skin scent later on, it is just classy and not in your face, like wearing a lovely fine cashmere. You can certainly pick it up ad bargain prices of a certain online auction site too, akin to $50 of 100ml here in the UK.

A def recommendation and as you say not difficult to wear as it will not challenge the nostrils of those around you, ( not that I would personally care about this anyway!! )

has anybody purchased 'any' of the CDG fragrances? keep glancing on DSM and tempted!

Edit: been looking for something with a lot of longevity, so this may have to be purchased..

null_zps89d6eb71.jpg

Edited by Arwhyayen

• 3 weeks later...

perfumeshoppe in vancouver 

The owner is so knowledgeable and gives off intense grandma/hospitality vibes. I liked Hinoki as well in terms of CDG scents.

She let me try Invasion Babare (which I really liked) but it was not suited for me.

The owner is so knowledgeable and gives off intense grandma/hospitality vibes. I liked Hinoki as well in terms of CDG scents.

She let me try Invasion Babare (which I really liked) but it was not suited for me.

i was just going to say, that was one of the best customer service experiences i have ever had.

i promised her i would be back for more when i come back from asia!

i didnt try the hinoki since she didn't have anymore left, but im hoping she has more hinoki and the sugi by the time i'm back!

def wanna check out more stuff, really enjoyed shopping at the place

Edited by Calbeee

52807.jpg

Actually smells like coal. Opening notes not amazing but soon develops and has an interesting peppery scent. The LuckyScent description is true, it has this really interesting warm/cold contrast about it. Very slightly reminiscent of some of the CdG synthetics but not anywhere near as abstract. The familiar notes like leather and sandalwood make it much more approachable. Lasts fairly well.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a new fragrance for the new year and have heard nothing but great things about CDG. Only problem is there are so many to choose from. Wonderwood seems to be a favorite. Anyone willing to order a top five with a quick breakdown? I'm looking for something I can wear year-round, nothing too strong. 

Fragrances are completely subjective, no good asking for a top five.

best thing is go shopping and follow your nose, forget labels, marketing and price.

Buy what you like the smell of.

I wear stuff ranging from £3.00 to £200 aimed at men & women & both, all found and not from a list, let your fragrance be YOURS !

Happy shopping

Loving the Absinth by Nasomatto - great soft scent - perfect for now I'd say.

I would have to agree. It's summer here and I've been wearing Absinth in my current rotation and it's probably my favorite from the Nasomatto range. I tried Black Afgano and while I got a lot of positive comments it was a little too powerful for me, the scent won't leave my leather jacket! Great fragrance if you are looking for staying power.

i've tried numerous cdg fragrances over the years and i don't think any of them are really suited as all-rounders, most are better for the colder months. the exception to this is possibly cdg original but even then it might be a bit too much for summer. the new play line is another option, as is amazingreen but i think it smells awful and on my skin lasts about 30 seconds before disappearing entirely.

the problem with recommending fragrances is everyone's skin is different and consequently they smell and react differently depending on the individual (oily or dry skin can effect levels of silage/projectivity etc). just buy a bunch of samples with notes you like the look of and see what you like. you are right that wonderwood is generally the most popular of the cdg line, but my personal ranking of the one's i've used would be:

1. avignon.

2. cdg original (despised by many, i love it).

3. kyoto.

4. wonderwood.

5. play original (apparently the new one's aren't as good, but i haven't tried them).

6. 888.

7. 2man (would be much higher if it lasted longer on my skin).

8. amazingreen.

Edited by conqueror

Hinoki and Laurel would both be suitable for summer. Not overly light but more fresh wood rather then "dark church". Anyone tried the third installment in the monocle collab, "Sugi"?

Also Dover Street Market is lighter from memory. Is that still in production? I have an unopened box and can't for the life of me remember the scent.

its weird.  i got a travelo version of th wonder wood before i went back to asia last month.  when i sprayed it in canada it lasted relatively long on my skin.  when i was in asia, everytime i spray it it disappears within 30 seconds.

gotta try it on my skin again now that i am back in vancouver to see if it lasts.  otherwise, its time to get something else!

@homme.homme :  i've tried the Tsugi at a store in hongkong but i am not experienced enough in fragrances to comment on it.  all i can say is that i think its not bad

I have a bunch of samples of the Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud fragrances and they are all delectable. The normal oud is EdP and the ones released in 2013 are Parfum Extrait. I really like Oud Velvet Mood so far, hopefully not too much though, since it's $375/bottle!

ELOL1vM.jpg

Edited by totally epic