Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

How much longevity do you get out of fico?

3 sprays, 2 neck 1 chest and I get a solid 6hrs then it becomes a skin scent but i can still pick up the jasmine.

I've never tried philosykos but fico is perfect for the summer.

anybody have experience with Le Labo and want to comment?

Not very into fragrances but my go-to ran out and I'm looking for a new one.  Have smelled some of LL but I do want other opinions before I actually go out and buy anything.

Not very into fragrances but my go-to ran out and I'm looking for a new one.  Have smelled some of LL but I do want other opinions before I actually go out and buy anything.

Rule #1 with Le Labo is that their scents don't really smell that much like whatever they're named after so you've gotta sample them.  Rose is probably the best one I've smelled, I liked Neroli too.  Santal was good but if you want a scent like that, Diptyque's Tam Dao is better.  I think a lot of people like the Oud one but on me it smelled like band aids and BO.

true.

favorite of the incense series?

I like jaslimaner, and Im thinking of getting ouarzazate for summer.

avignon is my favourite, but kyoto is typically the most popular.

i've sampled most of them - i absolutely love rose (will be my next buy) and liked oud but not enough to warrant a purchase. i wasn't a fan of neroli, santal etc.

Edited by conqueror

• 2 weeks later...

you bought 30ml? that will last you forever, i can't think of a single occasion that'd merit more than one spray of black afgano lol

parfum1 is pretty good for samples, too

yes 30ml bottle, just finished off my Duro so it cannot come at a better time ! 

was going to get the Absinth but this came along and couldn't resist.

guys i want to buy a few samples from luckyscent or directly from the maker such as histoires de parfums. can you recommend your top 5 scents given the following criteria (in no order of priority):

office job

highly conservative environment

would prefer something long lasting or that evolves throughout day

good for fall/winter seasons that are on the warmer side (i'm located in LA)

here are two i tried a long time ago and don't remember how they smell, please tell me if you guys think they'd fit the bill:

histoires de parfums 1828

histoires de parfums 1725

oh and i should say, i am a complete novice to fragrances, so throw your suggestions out at me... whatever gets recommended the most, i'll try samples of and then make a final decision from there

thanks!

THE COMME DES GARÇONS BLUE INVASION

Adrian Joffe on the paradoxical world of the Comme des Garçons fragrance

Text Laura Bradley

1043776.jpg

If there’s a colour palette one would associate with Comme des Garçons, it surely would be black? In the 1981 debut show, the house made an impact for its predominant use of black and distressed fabrics. Just over three decades later, the label now has stores dedicated entirely to its Black collections and designer Rei Kawakubo, famously favours a monochrome colour palette. 
However, brilliant colour has played a key role in Comme des Garçons' burgeoning line of fragrances. Green, red, gold, white, many showcased in a unique pebble bottle designed by Rei Kawakubo. This summer sees the release of Blue, a series of three fragrances based around three emblematic warm notes of incense, cedarwood and sandalwood. Blue is a colour which has traditionally symbolised calm, spirituality and freedom and was favoured by the late French artist Yves Klein. 
Here Dazed Digital speaks exclusively to Comme des Garçons president Adrian Joffe about the ideas behind the new series, the working process and his personal feelings on the colour. 

Dazed Digital: What does the colour blue mean to you?
Adrian Joffe: I’m trying to be silly and funny… blue is depressing isn’t it? It’s not used often, not usually talked about in the context of perfume. There are not a lot of natural things that are blue. I can't think of any blue food!
DD: What was the idea behind the Blue series?

Adrian Joffe: The idea came about when we were working on our Amazing Green fragrance last year, and there was originally a green and a blue version. We all loved both of the bottles, which was the traditional pebble shape. We do one each year - we’ve had them in silver, black, red... Rei thought because it was a series of three, it would be interesting to have different shades of blue on the bottle design. 
DD: What is so special about the pebble design?
Adrian Joffe: Rei created the pebble design and it’s one we really love; it’s become a classic. It’s so comfortable to hold in the hand and is really easy to travel with. It feels very familiar; sometimes new can be familiar or authentic. We always like to do something new, but something that never changes is always new. It’s paradoxical. With us, it’s always those two things. Some things never change even the values themselves not changing is new. It’s very rare for values in a company to never change. With Rei it’s solid. That’s very special.

DD: What was the idea behind doing a series?
Adrian Joffe: We’ve done lots of series but this was the first series based on moods, so that was interesting. With the moods and how they have to be linked and not be a gratuitous series. We discussed the original perfume with the nose Christian Astuguevielle and he explained there are three basic components of fragrances we like at Comme des Garçons: incense, sandalwood and cedar. There’s no deeper meaning than that really – it’s about what we really like. We decided to approach three different noses (Evelyne Boulanger for Encens; Nathalie Feisthauer for Cedrat; Antoine Maisondieu for Santal) to come up with their own interpretations. Santal took the longest to perfect.

DD: What’s your personal favourite fragrance?
Adrian Joffe: I really like the Cedrat, which combines Itialian cedar, juniper berries, Angelica roots, metallic rose and Virginian cedarwood. A lot of people say the three different scents suit different moods – the Encens is quite dark so people seem to want to wear it at night. I like how they’ve managed to get a cool incense.

DD: What is your relationship with the noses you work with?
Adrian Joffe: We’ve worked with Christian for a long time and mainly he’s the one who works with them. It works well that way - he's brilliant and understands what we want. 

DD: How does it feel when a fragrance is finished? 
Adrian Joffe: It’s an ongoing process, you feel happy that it’s out and it’s good but it’s not a huge sense of relief like after a collection. 

Watch a film interview with one of the noses of the Blue series on anothermag.com here.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/16883/1/the-comme-des-garcons-blue-invasion

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with Mad et Len??

Specifically N XIX Terre Noire and N II Ecorce? Any preference or suggestions between the two? 

Or just general impressions. 

Edited by jackg

• 3 weeks later...

Diptyque makes great stuff-the packaging is great and I fall for it every time. The candles are not over the top. Used it a while back last winter-burns black....kinda off topic

but Mariage Frères Marco Polo is fucking brilliant.....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a fan of CDG wonderwood only smelt when sampled always wanted to buy but it goes back to the bottom of my list of things to buy lol. It seems to be pretty good are their any other woody colognes that are just as good?