Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Ask others if they can smell it on you, some scents cause rapid olfactory fatigue. Where are you spraying? Applying non-scented moisturizer to the areas you spray can greatly increase the life of a scent.

Spraying on the neck/chest. I've asked a few people after 30 minutes to an hour of spraying and they don't smell it at all :( Sometimes even within 15 minutes of spraying.

• 3 weeks later...

does anybody use cdg odeur 53 or odeur 71? I've been using odeur 71 for a long time and I'm having trouble deciding if I should buy it again or switch to odeur 53.

depends on your own preferences of course, but i liked 71 better. more weighty, more sharp and distinct. 53 wore very soft and powdery on me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but isn't my preference. if you're looking to change things up but stick to synthetics/aldehydes, try cdg's "eau de parfum" of 2011 if you haven't already.

i'm trying to think of any other houses that do synthetic-for-the-sake-of-synthetic. escentric molecules doesnt quite cut it. humiecki & graef might be worth your time. a bit more colorful (cartoonish, even) than cdg, but H&G and other laudamiel frags accomplish a lot of with unabashedly synthetic accords. some from the frederic malle might also be worth a look. maybe also etat libre d'orange's rien. i'll also mention a lab on fire. haven't tried anything myself, but the descriptions and creators of the line make it sound promising

Since I finished my bottle of Wonderwood I tried some other fragrances in the last few days. Tried Zagrosk, Kyoto and Avignon from series 3, Hinoki and CDG2. Hinoki really is quite something. It almost smells like mosquito repellent. I guess because of the cypress and the cedar. Hard to say how people will react to it. Avignon smells like my grandma after church, but Zagorsk and Kyoto are really nice. CDG2 seems like something you could wear everyday, but it was gone after 4-5 hours (showed up again the next morning, really weird).

Nasomatto's are quite interesting as well, but too strong for my liking. I also tried some more "mainstream" ones like L'Instant de Guerlain which smells like chocolate and Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense which reminded me of Lancome's Hypnose in a weird way. Kind of feminine, but weirdly addicting.

I got Wonderwood as a present so I just used it, but finding one yourself seems really exhausting. Any other recommendations? I like woody stuff, but Hinoki is kind of pushing it.

I got Wonderwood as a present so I just used it, but finding one yourself seems really exhausting. Any other recommendations? I like woody stuff, but Hinoki is kind of pushing it.

it would actually help if you were a bit more specific; for better or worse incense was the trendiest ingredient ca. 2008, and woods (specifically oud) is popular right now, i would say its likely at some kind of apex for popularity. CK and davidoff have even released ouds! this means that there have been hundreds of releases for both these notes. so it would help to know if you prefer pine, cedar, oud, cypress, or fir, etc.?

among the incense frags, there is even variation. for example, avignon is very smoky, i even thought dirty. this is in contrast to tauer's incense extreme which is so airy as to be nearly transparent. even though both are centrally focused on incense, they have a completely different "body".

for woods + incense:

serge noire

black afghano (maybe you can try diluting it DIY?)

incense oud (by kilian)

memoir man

tanoke

fille en aiguilles

homme sage

these just include different kinds of woods and incense, they aren't necessarily the focus. jubilation xxv is probably worth a smell in your case, although it doesn't technically doesn't have frankincense (its opoponax). as denton said montale has paired oud in many of its releases. i haven't tried it but i hear lots of talk about black aoud.

haven't gotten too much into gourmands, but i've liked both angel and new haarlem.

recently sampled tam dao and kyoto. both are nice but i prefer kyoto. definitely smells a lot like hinoki. not sure which i prefer but kyoto is cheaper so im gonna get a bottle of it. anyone know a good stockist other than luckyscent? they're currently on backorder and i'd like it now.

also, anyone have recommendations for a woody, spring scent?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a synthetic scent that smells HD... like electric peaks and then subtle definition.. Would CdG Odeur 53 fit this description?

yes, but try 71 too

what are people's experience with luckyscent? i've tried to contact them twice before making an order (via email and twitter) and have been ignored both times, yet i've read nothing but stellar reviews about their customer service.

no troubles with them, i've ordered samples and the occaisional bottle from them for three or four years now. you should try giving them a call.

i had sampled cdg vettiveru before but accidentally spilled it and was rather preoccupied with the more winter-appropriate fragrance samples i ordered anyway. i still had the sample vial and managed to get a hint of it, but not really enough to properly judge. but i liked what i smelled so i bought it. great risk - i just got it in the mail today. definitely my favorite spring/summer scent i've tried so far. i don't know all that much about fragrances but i prefer it to chanel allure homme sport which i had used last summer (and prefer it even more to others i've used). sooo good. almost makes me happy that it spring comes early here...almost.

also, i ordered it from luckyscent. it was my third time ordering from them and i've never had a problem - always been impressed by their speed/selection. i got 3 samples with my order too (unfortunately all ones i'd tried, but really good choices nonetheless). i've never tried contacting them, though so maybe that's different.

no troubles with them, i've ordered samples and the occaisional bottle from them for three or four years now. you should try giving them a call.

i live in australia so i don't want to call - i just think its ridiculous that i've been ignored via two different methods. all i was asking is whether they are getting a certain fragrance back in stock. a one word reply of 'yes' or 'no' would suffice. i'll order something else and hope for the best, thanks.

edit: magically got an email reply about an hour after posting this.

Edited by conqueror

Picked up a new scent in Paris last month - Gaiac by Micallef; it's a scent for men but definitely very unisex. Really nice wood scent; smells awesome on me and the boyfriend both.

I have a half bottle of Diptyque Vetyveiro and Tam Dao (about 20 ml left in each), if anyone's interested in taking them for $30 shipped each. The dry down on me has completely changed and they no longer work on me. They are the old (better looking imo) bottles.

Also really getting into leathers... contemplating Keiko Mecheri's Cuir Cordoba or Majda Bekkali's J'ai fait un reve - elle.

• 3 weeks later...