Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Anyone have any suggestions for a fall/winter scent?

I'm new to fragrances, I use eau d'issey during the summer - its nice but I feel like its a bit basic and not suitable for the colder months - any suggestions?

Try something Like Armani Prive Ambre Orient - lovely warm sumptious scent.

Or perhaps some thing like Tom Ford's Extreme or less expensive Dsquared Potion ?

I'm about 17, and I'm willing to spend up to $100 on a new fragrance. I want something that'll last a bit, smell modern and "young" but still be a bit masculine. Any resources I could check out, or suggestions? thanks

Thanks a lot for your input, have ordered Black Tourmaline and Straight to heaven as samples, read up on Serge Noir and everyone seems to say its a night time scent? Was able to smell the CDG scents today and by far prefer the Hinoki.

Thanks again for your help!

dunno what to tell you on that question. on the one hand i think you should be able to wear a fragrance as you like, on the other hand serge noire (and all the ones ive recommended) are quite dark. i suppose it would help if you told me more about what you like about black afgano. is it the incense or the gourmand notes you enjoy (coffee, cocao)? or tobacco?

something close but tolerable for every day wear might be divine - homme sage. im actually surprised i didnt rec that before, especially since you mentioned 2 man. also try le labo's vetiver 46.

Anyone have any suggestions for a fall/winter scent?

I'm new to fragrances, I use eau d'issey during the summer - its nice but I feel like its a bit basic and not suitable for the colder months - any suggestions?

look over the recs i've given in this post and in previous posts.

I'm about 17, and I'm willing to spend up to $100 on a new fragrance. I want something that'll last a bit, smell modern and "young" but still be a bit masculine. Any resources I could check out, or suggestions? thanks

check surrendertochance.com, they have sampler sets for particular notes/accords, and even something i think you should check out a set of scents for "high school guys". even if you don't order a set, it'll give you ideas of what to look for next time youre at the mall or some dept store.

for reviews: basenotes, fragrantica, perfume smellin things, now smell this

luckyscent also provides samples, but does not have edited sets like surrender to chance or perfumed court. the latter two also have vintage and discontinued fragrances. great if you want to review the big houses like guerlain or chanel.

vfgg7s.jpg

Got myself some Le Labo samples this friday. Exciting!!

Anyway this is probably one of the most underrated threads here on sufu!!

Just started out hunting my fragrance!

Vetiver 46 is totally my favorite of the bunch! Initial smell is earthy & woody - smooth !!!

Longevity is ok! I would like it to last longer on my skin. Dry down starts early on..but!! 9/10

There's been alot of rave about Rose 31, I can see why - it's a pretty solid fragrance from start to end its a spicy dark rose. Anyone can pull this off, even women! This f***er lasts long!!!

Solid fragrance so I'll give it a 8/10 (I hope this one growns on me!!)

Patchouli 24 - Damn talk about woody smokey and leathery masculine!! This one is very hard to pull off, at least for me. Projection and longevity is insane!! Luca Turin gave this one 5 stars in his book Perfume: the guide (think encyclopedia).

Not my cup of tea! 6/10

Bergamotte 22 - Citrus and citrus. I could only see myself wearing this a hot sunny day! 7/10

Santal 33 - Has a woody scent to it and a bit floral. Lasts long and is well balanced 8/10. I hope it grows more on me!

Edited by kristofferw

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i'm through my bottle of Hinoki, but I want something new. I'm tired of smelling like a church. Ordered Amazinggreen and Standard (samples). Tried some Byredo, admit is is the look of the bottles, but none of them did it for me.

Any recommendations on scents that are a bit weird or daing like Hinoki? Not to boring like Wonderwood, allthough I like my smells being a little more on the oud side.

Edited by Lemurian

Ok i'm through my bottle of Hinoki, but I want something new. I'm tired of smelling like a church. Ordered Amazinggreen and Standard (samples). Tried some Byredo, admit is is the look of the bottles, but none of them did it for me.

Any recommendations on scents that are a bit weird or daing like Hinoki? Not to boring like Wonderwood, allthough I like my smells being a little more on the oud side.

If you liked Hinoki, try Six Scents Series Three: No 5 #087.

Love the le labo line, especially the bergamot.

If you're new to fragrance, I recommend this blog: http://www.nstperfume.com/. while it mostly cater to women, there are some posts for men. You can browse by notes under the tag. For example: http://www.nstperfume.com/tag/wood/

There was also a list of top 25 scents for men that you may want to explore.

Am I insane for thinking Amazingreen smells nice? I wouldn't wear it this time of year, but for Spring/Summer it feels like a nice scent.

That being said I've been dousing meself in Dover Street Market lately, people must be thinking I'm some whacko living in a pine forest.

i love amazingreen, dunno why it catches so much flack. here in texas, i'd say it's actually suitable for fall/winter as well.

Putting aside that it smells like a watery car air freshner; it's essentially a very safe, linear, and boring fragrance, especially when taking into consideration what else the cdg line has to offer. If amazingreen were a replacements album, it'll be don't tell a soul.

Edited by Pertinhead

I have absolutely fallen in love with Gaultier "Le Male".

Wow.

I had some samples to choose from for an order a while back and was pretty much forced to choose this as one of them. When I smelt it I instinctively recoiled in disgust.

I had some samples to choose from for an order a while back and was pretty much forced to choose this as one of them. When I smelt it I instinctively recoiled in disgust.

Haha I agree. IMO, it resembles the pungent odor of a bug spray. I blind bought because of the hype, yet became super disappointed after a couple applies.

Anyone have any experience with Byredo? I got Mister Marvelous (that name, I know...) a few months ago but it doesn't seem to last longer than 30 minutes, making it pretty much useless. Wondering if this is normal or if I got a defective bottle. Pretty disappointing esp after dropping >$200 on a fragrance. Wondering if I should ever trust Byredo again, cause they have great scents, just don't want to waste money on any more defective products in the future.

Anyone have any experience with Byredo? I got Mister Marvelous (that name, I know...) a few months ago but it doesn't seem to last longer than 30 minutes, making it pretty much useless. Wondering if this is normal or if I got a defective bottle. Pretty disappointing esp after dropping >$200 on a fragrance. Wondering if I should ever trust Byredo again, cause they have great scents, just don't want to waste money on any more defective products in the future.

Ask others if they can smell it on you, some scents cause rapid olfactory fatigue. Where are you spraying? Applying non-scented moisturizer to the areas you spray can greatly increase the life of a scent.