Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Need something for the warmer months. Thinking about trying out CDG Anbar for something citrusy but not too much so. Any opinions?

i steal my roomies marc jacobs stuff all the time when wanting a break from my aqua di gio

Anbar is nice...not as nice as Vettiveru, but still nice. I really like Mugler Cologne for something other than citrus in the summer...relatively cheap, but better than most of the expensive stuff available. Another option would be Yuzu Fou by Parfum d'Empire, as well as Verveine by Heeley.

Got the samples of Anbar and Citrico I ordered...like Anbar a lot.

I also got a sample of L'homme Sage. It's very nice, but not exactly what I'm looking for for the summer.

May do one more round of samples before I commit to a bottle. I'll try Vettiveru and see if I can find the Mugler stuff at a mall to try out.

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone purchase from Fragrancenet.com recently? How was your experience? Are the products they sell of good quality? I was thinking of making a purchase there, but I came across some reviews that stated the scent faded quickly or was bad or rancid when they received it.

I did a search, but didn't find any mention of recent purchases. I would really like to know about anyone's recent experience with this store since I'm considering making a purchase.

Advice from the great gimmegimme?

I did a search, but didn't find any mention of recent purchases. I would really like to know about anyone's recent experience with this store since I'm considering making a purchase.

Advice from the great gimmegimme?

They get good reviews from what I've read on other forums...so you should be safe.

I'm looking for recommendations for something new to try...only thing I can offer as a guideline is I've used/liked creed's GIT and YSL l'homme in recent years. I've wanted to try CDG kyoto for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. dumb followup question- Would I be able to find CDG in any retailers or is ordering samples online my best bet? Any help would be awesome.

polish, I knew I should have just let you answer the question.
haha it's pretty sad that i only wear cdg. i'm really into synthetic fragrances so there are a few that work for me. now it's pretty much only 71, cdg2, and skai; for the summer i add garage and tar. still sometimes i use guerilla 2 and vettiveru.

i have to bother gg for some more recommendations, i might even get bvlgari black again.

haha it's pretty sad that i only wear cdg. i'm really into synthetic fragrances so there are a few that work for me. now it's pretty much only 71, cdg2, and skai; for the summer i add garage and tar. still sometimes i use guerilla 2 and vettiveru.

i have to bother gg for some more recommendations, i might even get bvlgari black again.

you might want to try Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia; it has a gasoline-smelling top note, slightly similar to Bvlgari Black. But Black is cheaper, and easier to find... and probably more wearable, overall.

Hmm I think Kiehl's Original musk is just as nice as Cologne, not as steam clean fresh, but more gentlemanly vintage-ish.

I totally agree, Kiehl's original musk is a great scent; I personally prefer the "darker" scents, and def something that not everyone else is wearing--I like this scent for everyday kind-of wear but something that still stands out. Art of Shaving Sandalwood is along the lines of this scent too (Saks carries it) I have had a lot of success with luckyscent.com They have a great break down of the notes in their fragrances so if you know what you like it makes it way easy to choose a fragrance (incense, woody, citrus, etc.,...most of the ones I have purchased are very rich and long lasting)

Okay enough rambling, well almost, I hate this "rule" that you have to wear light scents in summer, or citrusy stuff. Wear what you like and what you know works well on you!!!!!!! Peace :)

I'm looking for recommendations for something new to try...only thing I can offer as a guideline is I've used/liked creed's GIT and YSL l'homme in recent years. I've wanted to try CDG kyoto for a while but haven't gotten around to it yet. dumb followup question- Would I be able to find CDG in any retailers or is ordering samples online my best bet? Any help would be awesome.

I ordered cdg's Kyoto from Blackbird---they usually have some kind of coupon code for SuFu members (10 or 20% off) so it makes the price even nicer. I love that fragrance and it's very long lasting (at least on me)!!!

you might want to try Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia; it has a gasoline-smelling top note, slightly similar to Bvlgari Black. But Black is cheaper, and easier to find... and probably more wearable, overall.

thanks, will look into it. i don't really care about wearable too much. tar and especially garage are hard to wear but i like them a lot (and lots of women do as well). gasoline sounds nice, i could also do something metallic or even chemical (alcohol, acetone).

I know this might be redundant, but for anyone that lives in LA and is remotely interested in fashion you have to go to the Scent bar (luckyscent.com). I stopped in today for the first time and the woman working there was SO helpful and very enthusiastic about everything she had to show me/teach me. She even fed me some of her lunch!

Seriously, check it out.

thanks, will look into it. i don't really care about wearable too much. tar and especially garage are hard to wear but i like them a lot (and lots of women do as well). gasoline sounds nice, i could also do something metallic or even chemical (alcohol, acetone).

Have you tried anything from Montale? Their "aoud" range is very medicinal and chemical smelling to me. I'd also suggest Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange (leather, but very bitter and unsettling and Serge Lutens' Tubereuse Criminelle, which smells like gasoline/acetone.

i tried several aqua di parma scents at holts wasnt a huge fan of any of them

They're okay...a bit old fashioned. I actually like their women's scents better.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's really common, but since it's started to heat up around here, I've been wearing Terre d'Hermes every day. The drydown is amazing and it lasts like 12-13 hours on my skin.

gimme, can you recommend anything similar for summer wear? I noticed that The Vert and Declaration are also by Jean-Claude Ellena, so I'll have to give them a try.

You could do a lot worse than TdH...it's a decent scent. Other scents by Ellena are a good place to start, as you said.

You might want to try The Vert Extreme, which is a bit different than the original. Either of the Declarations are good (avoid the Bois Bleu). Sel de Vetiver (by his daughter) is also excellent. Bigarade Concentree is a citrus variation on Declaration. Hermes' Poivre Samarcande is an upscale-priced version.

All of these are based on the synthetic Iso E Super btw. Escentric Molecules bottles the stuff solo if you want to overpay for it.