Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

this is part fragrance thread part confessional but:

the girl i like wears coco mademoiselle and i love it...i tried some on at the chanel store today and its still smelling mad good on me...what do i do? end my life? orrrr suggest something like that for men...i dont know all the terminology i just know smell equals good/bad so school me.

oh yea, my friend works at l'artisan parfumeur so ive tried all the scents and i really fucking love timbuktu. why do i like it?

this is part fragrance thread part confessional but:

the girl i like wears coco mademoiselle and i love it...i tried some on at the chanel store today and its still smelling mad good on me...what do i do? end my life? orrrr suggest something like that for men...i dont know all the terminology i just know smell equals good/bad so school me.

oh yea, my friend works at l'artisan parfumeur so ive tried all the scents and i really fucking love timbuktu. why do i like it?

If you like the smell of it, just wear it. Don't let a label run your life. ;)

You love Timbuktu because it is awesome! And possibly because the color of the label matches the sprinkles on your donut.:D

can't remember or find...what's the line of fragrances that have bottles that are large cylinder shapes, small and fat, with a simple black label across the middle with the designer's name in orange, and the name of the fragrance above in white? i saw them at barneys or nords, i think, there was like 10 of them and each designer did a fragrance. i had previously ordered a sample from "frederic something" smelled peppery...anyone? i think there was another one i liked whose name was olivia?? hope this helps, and someone can help. thanks.

can't remember or find...what's the line of fragrances that have bottles that are large cylinder shapes, small and fat, with a simple black label across the middle with the designer's name in orange, and the name of the fragrance above in white? i saw them at barneys or nords, i think, there was like 10 of them and each designer did a fragrance. i had previously ordered a sample from "frederic something" smelled peppery...anyone? i think there was another one i liked whose name was olivia?? hope this helps, and someone can help. thanks.

Frederic Malle.

I've fallen in love with Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Perfumer. It's very sexy. A 100ml bottle is my next purchase.

It's an interesting one. Passage d'Enfer apparently means Passage to Hell, which is the street name where L'Artisan is located in Paris (according to the Turin perfume guide). I find most incense notes have a pine-like note, which is emphasized greatly in this one. Good pick.

What gimme said, and her name is Olivia Giacobetti. I like a lot of her work too.

I've been dying for a way to test M7 concentrations (toilette, cologne and the fresh version). Oh does anyone have a sample??? I want to test it against M7 and see if it can work in cool days as well as the for the summer that it is made for.

Tried CB I hate Perfume Winter 1972 this morning. Very strange. The wet earth scent hits you straight away, and lingers through the seemingly short life (a lot of the samples Ive tried recently haven't done that well on my skin) of the fragrance. Surprised how much I liked this. I can't see myself using it as a day or night smell though. It's got some kind of green/floral to it, but can't put my finger on it.

Tried CB I hate Perfume Winter 1972 this morning. Very strange. The wet earth scent hits you straight away, and lingers through the seemingly short life (a lot of the samples Ive tried recently haven't done that well on my skin) of the fragrance. Surprised how much I liked this. I can't see myself using it as a day or night smell though. It's got some kind of green/floral to it, but can't put my finger on it.

I find you have to apply more than usual with his stuff. Samples don't necessarily do them justice as far as longevity goes. They're fairly inexpensive per ml though, so it's not so bad (speaking of the waters and not the absolutes of course).

Got my DS & Durga Cowboy grass order through along with 3 samples:

(all of which are initially very, very pungent, almost unbearably so- might just be my sensitive nose)

$- First smell seems like a usual, very musky cologne. The money'd description is very apt. Power suits scent. Second smell the leather really comes through which to me isn't great.

Bear Trapper and Marblehead Reds I haven't had enough of a smell of, but Trapper made me think of animal urine instantly which is scary as I rarely get the chance to sample their product. Reds I liked, but not sure why. Might be the orange coming through.

The real deal is the Cowboy Grass. Again, very powerful to start with, but coming back to it and everything settles down nicely (thyme, sage and vetiver). My nose might be sensitive, but not great at distinguishing scents, but it's a very, very pleasant. Reminded me of early evenings on Greek family holidays as a kid.

^^^ That's the Mark Buxton scent yes? I'm super intruiged.

Got my DS & Durga Cowboy grass order through along with 3 samples:

(all of which are initially very, very pungent, almost unbearably so- might just be my sensitive nose)

$- First smell seems like a usual, very musky cologne. The money'd description is very apt. Power suits scent. Second smell the leather really comes through which to me isn't great.

Bear Trapper and Marblehead Reds I haven't had enough of a smell of, but Trapper made me think of animal urine instantly which is scary as I rarely get the chance to sample their product. Reds I liked, but not sure why. Might be the orange coming through.

The real deal is the Cowboy Grass. Again, very powerful to start with, but coming back to it and everything settles down nicely (thyme, sage and vetiver). My nose might be sensitive, but not great at distinguishing scents, but it's a very, very pleasant. Reminded me of early evenings on Greek family holidays as a kid.

I've only tried their new "Vetyver" scent sample that they sent me and it was bad to me, it was an icky soapy clean vetiver that took some time to get over my feeling of nausea. The other ones... well... I've been dreading testing them out. I didn't like the initial smells from the outside of the sample vials... very damn pungent, heavy musk. If anything I will probably try out my Ormonde Jayne scents before reaching for the DS Durga ones... :(

I do however thank you Jackfrost for reviewing $ and I hope someday that I can muster up enough motivation to try them on and compare my own experiences of them with you.

************update*************

I just tried my sample of Barbados and it's not bad. I wore this as soon as I woke up in the morning a few minutes before breakfast, it was pleasant and didn't interfere with my morning appetite. The development was a tad strongly menthol at first that mellowed out, afterward it seems a linear bay-leaf, unisex sweet rhum scent. The silage starts off fine then dwindles down drastically very close-to-skin within the next hour or two.... not a great value to me at $85 dollars per 1.3oz dabber bottle.

I couldn't help but to make a comparison to CDG's original perfume... there is a strong medicinal note to both... though I think the CDG op is much better.

I received my Ormonde Jayne samples around a week ago, still have to wear them.

however, I sampled Tom Ford's white patchouli today in a boutique... I am a bit disappointed!

I usually love his stuff but the drydown of WP reminded me a little too much of..... a hello kitty perfume I used to wear when I was 6 or 7!!:o

it brought back really good memories but I am not rushing out to pay 86 euros for the 50ml bottle anytime soon. what a shame, I had big expectations for this one.

I received my Ormonde Jayne samples around a week ago, still have to wear them.

however, I sampled Tom Ford's white patchouli today in a boutique... I am a bit disappointed!

I usually love his stuff but the drydown of WP reminded me a little too much of..... a hello kitty perfume I used to wear when I was 6 or 7!!:o

it brought back really good memories but I am not rushing out to pay 86 euros for the 50ml bottle anytime soon. what a shame, I had big expectations for this one.

I didn't like it either...very cloying, sweet orange note that overwhelmed everything else.

^^^ That's the Mark Buxton scent yes? I'm super intruiged.

I've only tried their new "Vetyver" scent sample that they sent me and it was bad to me, it was an icky soapy clean vetiver that took some time to get over my feeling of nausea. The other ones... well... I've been dreading testing them out. I didn't like the initial smells from the outside of the sample vials... very damn pungent, heavy musk. If anything I will probably try out my Ormonde Jayne scents before reaching for the DS Durga ones... :(

I do however thank you Jackfrost for reviewing $ and I hope someday that I can muster up enough motivation to try them on and compare my own experiences of them with you.

************update*************

I just tried my sample of Barbados and it's not bad. I wore this as soon as I woke up in the morning a few minutes before breakfast, it was pleasant and didn't interfere with my morning appetite. The development was a tad strongly menthol at first that mellowed out, afterward it seems a linear bay-leaf, unisex sweet rhum scent. The silage starts off fine then dwindles down drastically very close-to-skin within the next hour or two.... not a great value to me at $85 dollars per 1.3oz dabber bottle.

I couldn't help but to make a comparison to CDG's original perfume... there is a strong medicinal note to both... though I think the CDG op is much better.

I ended up hating all of them by the time I'd finished smelling each of the samples and the full bottle of Cowboy Grass. They are very, very musky, and even when I'd given it a day I almost felt ill using the Grass on a night out. It's growing on me again though so I'll see how it goes. Wouldn't bother with the $ as the description is as generic as the smell, musk and more musk.

Ahahaha...

srsly... Untill I hear differently, I've convinced myself not to waste any more time with DS & Durga scents.

For the next few weeks of lingering sunny heat I'm going to re-try my Hermes Jardins... :^/

One more thing... something about OJ man is reminding me of dzing... both are great frags but just not for me.

I'm all about CDG Man 2.. I like how masculine the smell is without being offensive or smelling like Old Spice.. Woodsy.

I have to applaud all you who can detect the smallest nuances in each fragrance.. I'm really getting into it, but I've only just started.

I'm all about CDG Man 2.. I like how masculine the smell is without being offensive or smelling like Old Spice.. Woodsy.

I have to applaud all you who can detect the smallest nuances in each fragrance.. I'm really getting into it, but I've only just started.

Welcome to the madness.

Hey Gimme,

Would you be willing to throw out a few suggestions for me to sample?

I've been lurking round these parts for a while, and I've seen the sample set you reccomended to Sidney Lo. But, I'm thinking of a good set of scents for the winter (we both appear to be in the same city), and I don't think anything too fruity would cut it. I'm a fan of the Incense series - as apparently most people are - but don't really know where to start when it comes to other scents so a few pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Gimme,

Would you be willing to throw out a few suggestions for me to sample?

I've been lurking round these parts for a while, and I've seen the sample set you reccomended to Sidney Lo. But, I'm thinking of a good set of scents for the winter (we both appear to be in the same city), and I don't think anything too fruity would cut it. I'm a fan of the Incense series - as apparently most people are - but don't really know where to start when it comes to other scents so a few pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Some suggestions that you can try locally:

1. Noor in Yorkville (bottom of the Four Season) has tons of great stuff...try:

-Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

-Dzonkha by L'Artisan

-Timbuktu by L'Artisan

-....and whatever else they suggest (they're SUPER nice and give tons of samples)

2. Andrews in Hazelton Lanes

-Jubilation XXV by Amouage ($$$$$)

-Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens

-avoid all the Bond No. 9's

3. Holt Renfew

-Declaration by Cartier

-Acqua di Parma Assoluta (not wintery, but still great)

-Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange (in the women's section)

That should get you started. :)