Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Has anyone tried CB I Hate Perfume Wild Hunt? I am trying a sample I ordered right now. It is quite the fragrance. It is described on the site as the scent of an ancient forest in the heat of summer.

As soon as I opened the vial I got crushed leaves. That strong bitter smell from my childhood of cutting back the ivy in the yard. Once on your skin, that scent backs off quickly and is joined with what to me is a soft floral scent. Slightly sweet, reminds me of honeysuckles I think. It stays there for some time and slowly fades until only a sweet drydown remains. Worth a try I think. Different (for me) and interesting. If someone who has tried it can correct me on the notes that would be cool. I haven't learned them all yet.

Got an email about new Baxter of California candles. I like their other products so I might give one of these a shot. $45

Fragrance Notes:

CASSIS: blackcurrant, blackberry, nectarine, red currant, fir.

JASMIN: star jasmine, gardenia, woodbine honeysuckle, narcissus.

TUBEREUSE: tuberose, bergamot, white tea rose, geranium, camellia.

bbxji8.jpg

(pretty cool looking too)

Got an email about new Baxter of California candles. I like their other products so I might give one of these a shot. $45

Fragrance Notes:

bbxji8.jpg

45 aint too bad compared to diptyque and shit.

well

ive never had a dyptique candle and i dont even know how long it lasts...

45 aint too bad compared to diptyque and shit.

well

ive never had a dyptique candle and i dont even know how long it lasts...

dyptique candles last about 80 hours of burning time i think.

the scent is awesome, but i won't buy another one unless i become BALLA.

I checked out CdG series 8 Energy today and I wasn't too impressed. I don't think I can wear Lemon or Grapefruit but Lime is not too bad. I still think that Soda is a more interesting citrus scent from CdG.

That's too bad...but it seems to be the consensus.

If you ever read Luca Turin's articles, you know that grapefruit contains sulfurous molecules that make most attempt smell like garlic, but I was hoping they had managed to pull it off. Most grapefruit scents are successful for about 60 seconds and then fall to pieces.

Just got both Odeur 53 by CdG and Philosykos by Diptyque today in the mail.

Odeur 53, once it dries down its fresh, I want to say it's predicated on floral scents but I can't really distinguish any actual floral notes, it's almost the shadow of a perfume, hard to pinpoint but nice when I don't want to be too specific. Definitely synthetic, reminiscent of some newage "organic, no testing on animals" laundry detergent scent.

Philosykos, at first spray, amazing. A delicate flirtation of green leaves (cut wheatgrass?) and fig with sweet undertones (coconut?). The drydown is more sweet, which made me glad I didn't go with L'Artisans PF, as that would have been TOO sweet. Also the drydown smelled really familiar, I almost want to say it reminds me of Marc by Marc Jacobs. This is my new crush, meaning I can almost dipose of JPG Fleur du Male...ahaha

GimmeGimme, I am pretty much covered for summer scents (except for me wanting a decant of The Pour Un Ete). But can you recommend something for winter? along the lines of Dior Homme, floral but not dependent on too much vertiver/musk.

Whats the best CDG fragrance to get? this will be my first, I have heard nothing but good things.

there is quite a lot so .... yeah ~.~;

i think the best way is to get some samples or go smell them (the popular ones) and work your way from there.

there isnt exactly a best fragrance to get ... we all smell things differently and we all dont like the same stuff. just experiment and get something that works well for you.

Whats the best CDG fragrance to get? this will be my first, I have heard nothing but good things.

You should just order samples of all the ones you're interested in. There are tons of people who hate one CdG scent, and tons of people who love the same one so it's a pretty pointless question to ask which the best one is. But really, there are so many you're bound to like one. I've tried white and thought it was pretty interesting. Spicy but still light. Smelled kind of weird but wasn't bad. I've heard really great things about the scent they did for Monocle called Hinoki though. Here it is...

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=41700&section=1

Odeur 53 is pretty cool too. Synthetic smelling, but not ridiculously weird. Definitely different but in a good way.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=21600&section=1&rv=on

I think Jaisalmer from the Incense line is really nice as well.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detail.asp?itemid=21902&section=1&rv=on

Just sample them all. Its worth it in the end, especially because CdG makes around 46 different scents and you never know which you'll love the most.

Just got both Odeur 53 by CdG and Philosykos by Diptyque today in the mail.

Odeur 53, once it dries down its fresh, I want to say it's predicated on floral scents but I can't really distinguish any actual floral notes, it's almost the shadow of a perfume, hard to pinpoint but nice when I don't want to be too specific. Definitely synthetic, reminiscent of some newage "organic, no testing on animals" laundry detergent scent.

Philosykos, at first spray, amazing. A delicate flirtation of green leaves (cut wheatgrass?) and fig with sweet undertones (coconut?). The drydown is more sweet, which made me glad I didn't go with L'Artisans PF, as that would have been TOO sweet. Also the drydown smelled really familiar, I almost want to say it reminds me of Marc by Marc Jacobs. This is my new crush, meaning I can almost dipose of JPG Fleur du Male...ahaha

GimmeGimme, I am pretty much covered for summer scents (except for me wanting a decant of The Pour Un Ete). But can you recommend something for winter? along the lines of Dior Homme, floral but not dependent on too much vertiver/musk.

Glad you like the Philosykos, and if it reminds you of MJ, it's because MJ copied it (and failed at doing so...awful, awful scent).

For winter - if you like DH, give Bois d'Argent (by Dior as well) a shot. Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur is quite nice, as is Gucci Pour Homme, Dzing! by L'Artisan, Black by Bvlgari, etc. etc. Let me know specifically what you want and I can probably give better recommendations.

Fragrance Notes:

bbxji8.jpg

25% off with "CANDY" code

works for entire store

I got to try this whole line recently...many of them smell like food to me, but there are a few that really stand out and are worth trying:

-Harmatan Noir: black, smokey tea

-Intrigant Patchouli: skanky patchouli with animal undertones

-Cuir Venenum: leather and apricots

-Jardin de Kerylos: fig

-Coze: strange woods and amber

You can get them at Luckyscent.com, and in Canada at theperfumeshoppe.com. I have a few reviews of th ones I liked best on my site, and more to come. They also have some other "exclusive" lines that I've yet to try.

I sound like an advertisement...I should get paid for this shit. Sufu ain't never smelled dis good.

Has anyone tried the Prada Amber Pour Homme? I read that it was a pretty good scent, and I was flipping through a magazine today at the barber's and caught a whiff of it and liked what I smelt.

You can do better.

If you like amber - Maitre Parfumeur's Ambre Precieux, Armani Prive's Amber ($$$), Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan, etc.

Even Yves Rocher's cheap Voile d'Ambre is better.

Prada's mass-market scents are crap in general. Infusion d'Iris is the only marginally interesting one, and it should have been marketed as a men's scent, although it smells nice on the right girl.

time to try something new methinks...

Can anyone recommend a fragrance that is a little different from the norm, by norm I mean nothing conservative generic fragrance of CK, Chanel, Prada, etc....

My current faves are Courvoisier, Encre Noire(Lalique), Helmut Lang.

I had a sniff of Secretions Magnifique at Harvey Nichols and was intrigued - the kindly staff at thetime gave me a sample of each from that particular range so I will in time get to sample each.

I would lke something quite 'earthy' 'woody' and unusual, and dare I say 'challenging' -

I don't like citrus,soapy scents.

So please, feel free to give advice, I'm not worried about price (I guess I'll max out at about $250) so am not really limited in any way ora at least I don't think so.

Look forward to reading any suggestions.

Alternatives for Encre Noire - Sel de Vetiver; Sycamore by Chanel; Racine by Maitre Parfumeur; Vetiver by Guerlain

For Courvoisier - Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

For Helmut Lang - Synthesized Musk by Malin & Goetz; S-ex by S-Perfumes (highly recommended)

Other random suggestions - Rien by Etat Libre, skip the Magnifiscent Secretions (people won't want to stand next to you...although I like it); Palais Jamais by Etro.

Please also check out the slews of reviews here.

Alternatives for Encre Noire - Sel de Vetiver; Sycamore by Chanel; Racine by Maitre Parfumeur; Vetiver by Guerlain

For Courvoisier - Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

For Helmut Lang - Synthesized Musk by Malin & Goetz; S-ex by S-Perfumes (highly recommended)

Other random suggestions - Rien by Etat Libre, skip the Magnifiscent Secretions (people won't want to stand next to you...although I like it); Palais Jamais by Etro.

Please also check out the slews of reviews here.

Excellent- thanks for this - I am still really intrigued by the Secretions Magnifique, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was but it was kind of metallic, blood maybe and then really creamy coconut like too - strange?

I tried the Vetivier from Gurelain but din't like it .

I will endevour to sniff out the others you suggested too, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Excellent- thanks for this - I am still really intrigued by the Secretions Magnifique, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was but it was kind of metallic, blood maybe and then really creamy coconut like too - strange?

I tried the Vetivier from Gurelain but din't like it .

I will endevour to sniff out the others you suggested too, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Although the listed notes are blood, milk, semen, etc. - in actuality, it's a salty floral with coconut undertones, and a strong wet-dog note that balances the girly factors with a putrid accord. It's quite genius, but like I said, it's risky to wear if you want people to like you. :)

If you didn't know (you probably do), Encre Noir is vetiver-based, so any other vetiver scent will probably appeal to you. If you want cheap, I think KenzoAir is the best for the $$$, if you want midrange, Givenchy's recently re-introduced Vetiver is the best, and if you have cash to burn, Chanel's is the way to go.

ps - avoid Creed's Original Vetiver at all costs.

Although the listed notes are blood, milk, semen, etc. - in actuality, it's a salty floral with coconut undertones, and a strong wet-dog note that balances the girly factors with a putrid accord. It's quite genius, but like I said, it's risky to wear if you want people to like you. :)

If you didn't know (you probably do), Encre Noir is vetiver-based, so any other vetiver scent will probably appeal to you. If you want cheap, I think KenzoAir is the best for the $$$, if you want midrange, Givenchy's recently re-introduced Vetiver is the best, and if you have cash to burn, Chanel's is the way to go.

ps - avoid Creed's Original Vetiver at all costs.

I don't mind what I pay - after all the Courvoisier costs in the region of $200 here in the UK ---good grieff---

I have the Kenzo air in both it's incarnations - it's really quite pleasant - got the He Wood by D-squared - so very similar tomy nose anyway.

Looks like I'm going to sample the Chanel one.

Another fragrance I absolutely loved was DK Fuel and Unleaded - why-o-why was it discontinued ?

It was great, I guess the nearest since was the DK womens Black Cashmere - I may even give that a try despite it being a feminie fragrance ! - what do you think of 'Fuel' by the way, out of interest.

Another fragrance I absolutely loved was DK Fuel and Unleaded - why-o-why was it discontinued ?

It was great, I guess the nearest since was the DK womens Black Cashmere - I may even give that a try despite it being a feminie fragrance ! - what do you think of 'Fuel' by the way, out of interest.

Ignore the man/woman labels...no one knows what you're wearing except for you. I quite like Black Cashmere, but I can't recall smelling Fuel.

hey gimmie, regarding that thing you said about canadians not being able to receive fragrances from the states, have you had problems receiving samples from lucky before?

I haven't personally, no. And I should have said that those regulations only pertained to sending things through CanadaPost. Fedex and other couriers are fine.

terre d'hermes is what i'm using daily now

however the tom ford tuscan leather is one of the nicest fragrances i've ever seen, but not for $600 a pop for a full bottle

The $600 bottle is really huge...the standard "smaller" bottle is around $250, which is still a lot, but better than 600!

I filled out the questionaire on the Frederic Malle website, and they recommended both:

En Passant and L'Eau D'Hiver, any thoughts on these gimme? I was hoping they'd recommend Angeliques Sous La Pluis, but according to my profile that's what they thought I would like.

Looking to buy one or two at the most, BLINDLY!

I filled out the questionaire on the Frederic Malle website, and they recommended both:

En Passant and L'Eau D'Hiver, any thoughts on these gimme? I was hoping they'd recommend Angeliques Sous La Pluis, but according to my profile that's what they thought I would like.

Looking to buy one or two at the most, BLINDLY!

I'd recommend En Passant if you like watery, cucumber-ish scents that verge on the feminine, and L'Eau d'Hiver if you like sweet, almond-ish scent (similar to Dior's Cologne Blanche if you've tried it). Both are good, but I would buy neither.

Angeliques is beautiful, French Lover is a stronger, more synthetic version of it. Noir Epices is my fav', but it's very heavy.