Going to Montréal

Fookums

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure you eat some poutine - french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds (not your ordinary gravy fries). it's a quebecois staple so they sell them everywhere, but my favorite is the one they sell at st. hubert and kfc, both of which can be found everywhere in montreal.

oh i was just kidding! nobody uses the sarcasm meter anymore?

i know you are kidding, that's why i said it's not cool. imagine coming to montreal and going clubbing on crescent cause somebody said it was a nice place, but was kidding and you didn't know. i'd be pretty pissed ;)

hahaha sorry guys, I just meant that as a general rule, there are a lot of beautiful girls in Montréal and casual sex is usually not frowned upon...

BTW did anyone go to Coma4? The music was pretty interesting (very aggressive techno-industrial) but the crowd looked like they had just robbed a Hot Topic warehouse and decided that the best way to carry the loot was to wear it all at the same time.

oh yeah? definitely give us a shout, we were planning a little get together with 2000db etc. as well

In terms of hotels, there are kind of "areas" for hotels. The west ones (crescent street, rue de la montagne) are usually kind of an older clientele, more upper classish.

There are some in the old port that are quite nice, but a little pricey and not all that close to stuff other than the old port. Hotel Gault and Hotel Le Germain come to mind. The original boutique hotels.

Sherbrooke st (a couple blocks north of st. catherine's) between st. laurent and crescent is probably your best bet, as it has the most options and they're all pretty centrally located.

A really nice boutique hotel at sherbrooke/st. laurent is Hotel Godin. Quite new, modern, and a good central location to most of the sights and sounds.

www.hotelgodin.com

There is also a Sofitel on sherbrooke, a little bigger organization, or Chateau Versailles, a smaller, older style but very nice (so I'm told) hotel.

For more standard choices, there is also a Four Points, Delta, Holiday Inn and Ritz Carlton on Sherbrooke between those streets.

If you have any specific requests as to what you plan on seeing, in terms of location, let me know and I can narrow it down. But general overview, my recommendation would be Hotel Godin.

Depending on your budget I'd go for the small hotels on Sherbrooke, East of St-Denis. There's a couple of very small ones, walking distance from a lot of fun stuff like restaurents, bars and shopping, and I do think the prices are lower than what Nairb is suggesting (he's got the typical anglo bias of not knowing there's life on the East side of St-Laurent, just kidding Brian :P). BTW How long are you planning to stay?

BTW if you tell me exactly when you'll be there and what interests you I'll suggest some activities. It would of course be fun to meet, although I'm booked next weekend and probably the one after (not 100% sure).

dunno if its too late, but if you ask godin for special rates they'll hook you up. you have to be firm on your dates but they can usually go for as low as 160ish a night. Right now they're bleeding cash because of a lack ability to get a liquer licence at their swank ass bar. (you can still get alcohol room service, no worries)..

Great info. I think my gf is pushing towards the Godin, so we may stay there. I'll look into those smaller hotels in the areas you suggested, Fuuma. We'll be there April 27 - 29.

As far as what we want to do, we want to go see some sights in old Montreal, new Montreal (?), find some good eats (cheap and semi expensive), stop by some shops, etc... Are there things that are musts that we should do?

If people have time, we should definitely meet up and grab a drink!

Depending on your budget I'd go for the small hotels on Sherbrooke, East of St-Denis. There's a couple of very small ones, walking distance from a lot of fun stuff like restaurents, bars and shopping, and I do think the prices are lower than what Nairb is suggesting (he's got the typical anglo bias of not knowing there's life on the East side of St-Laurent, just kidding Brian :P). BTW How long are you planning to stay?

BTW if you tell me exactly when you'll be there and what interests you I'll suggest some activities. It would of course be fun to meet, although I'm booked next weekend and probably the one after (not 100% sure).

great suggestions! does anyone know of any good record stores in montreal? ones that specifically cater to experimental music?

Atom Heart http://www.atomheart.ca/ is a pretty good one for indie/electronic acts. You might find something to your liking there. Loads of tickets to shows too.

if you're on St-Laurent street just ask where Roy street is and there's going to be a place called Kopshop

it's a gallery/venue spot by local graffity crew

http://www.lekopshop.com/

their site isnt quit up and running yet

on your way there, up st-laurent to roy, past and within the vicinity you'll find shops and things that might be of interest

once at the shop there's going to be flyers and whatnot

you gotta walk in this city and talk with locals

i dont know what kind of bars/cubs you're into but Crecent/St-Catherine street is really wack IMO but most people out of town seem to like it

good luck