Your Top 5 RPGs?

notesee

Yeah .. Shining Force 2 was a game that I randomly got into. I played that one before the first, and still like it better to this day.

My neighbor's older brother picked it up .. and it looked interesting, so me and my friend hopped on it when he wasn't playing, it ended up being our past time for the summer.

Around the same time, one of my friend's from school had got the first Shining Force .. so my group of friends was really into that series.

Another game that those same group of friends really got into was Dragon Force for the Saturn. This one copy must've changed hands 5 times, people always wanting to borrow or buy it off eachother.

• 2 weeks later...
What're the new FF games coming out for? They still gonna be down with Sony's PS3?

FFXIII and FFXIII versus are both coming out on PS3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I never got into the genre but I want to jump in with wave 6 and earlier.

I recently finished Parasite Eve for the first time and it did what it was supposed to do as a fusion game: Got me interested in more. I was on the fence with it and it was boring as shit for a while but by day 5 or 6 it really started to sing (no pun intended).

I'm almost done with PE2 and I can see why PE fans hate it. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit but it would have been epic if Square had done it as a true evolution of the first game, instead of sackriding survival horror so hard. The best things they could have done would have been to preserve the original character movement instead of that Resident Evil shit, and to keep the polygon battle system. The camera angles during battles can be horrendous! The real time would work well if the camera angles were programmed to change if blocked. And yeah Aya is robust but don't hate on that, tough girls are rarely wisps anyway. Once she dumps the mom jeans for the shorts she aight.

The backgrounds are dope for psx. I love the reflection and flickering effects, and for me the backgrounds are up there with the Fear Effects.

Edited by jyoni

If "traditional" "Japanese" TBS/ABS RPG's:

• Chrono Trigger
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story
  • Lunar: Silver Stay Story
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Final Fantasy 8

Honorable mentions

• Final Fantasy 7
  • Legend of the Dragoon

If all types of RPG's besides the ones above:

• Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
  • Dead Space 1 and 2 (#3 was okay but not nearly as good as the first two)
  • Diablo II (fuck this game though for eating up so much of my time back in the day)
  • Legend of Zelda
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Shit ton more.. it's hard not to call a lot of games these days an "RPG" or at least have RPG elements.

Edited by mrchariybrown

• 4 weeks later...

1. Dragon Quest VII - V is really close, but VII is maybe the most gigantic game I've ever played and has my favorite character class system of any game, ever.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - This is sixth gen gaming at its best. Great atmosphere, fantastic characters, story, and gameplay, with nice voice acting and music, too. This was the game that taught me I could actually enjoy western RPGs. Aside from a few graphical problems, it's still a fantastic game. I've played it to completion around a dozen times, and I'm sure I'll play it many more times.

3. Dragon Quest V - An amazing, moving story; tight, focused gameplay; monster recruitment!; great replay value.

4. Chrono Trigger - Everything's already been said. This is just a plain great game.

5. Dragon Age: Origins - This game takes medieval fantasy and hones it to hardcore perfection.

• 7 months later...