Dressing like a skinhead?

jake snake

fsfsdfsdf  

22 members have voted

1. 1. fsfsdfsdf

• rtergegege
    • regergergergeg

Why dress like a skinhead when one could dress rockabilly and not have to worry about looking like a mod.

I don't mind skinhead dress/attire, but what is with the meathead attitude behind it?

Why dress like a skinhead when one could dress rockabilly and not have to worry about looking like a mod.

I don't mind skinhead dress/attire, but what is with the meathead attitude behind it?

skins and rockability are completely different worlds, only sharing youth culture and guitar music and some accidental combining recently. in recent years it seems they've fallen together as some sort of vintage trade show crap to sell to old beaners and never-weres. but just picking between the two as "ones got hair, one doesnt" completely misses the point.

and there are plenty of skins who arent meatheads, just because ROMPERSTOMPER painted a certain portrait doesnt mean shit.

and as far as taking tidbits of skin fashion and building upon it regardless of its subgenre ethics is nothing new, and has been discussed at length already in this thread and is the entire point of this thread, so tiny personal epinions on skins are so pointless.

fred perry was the agassi of 1930, keep that in mind. and the rise of the wreath has more to do with availability than brand, what sears-robuck is to american workwear fred perry is to brit casual. abnd just like japanese kids shelling out for tenderloin and reissue american woolrich, kids shell out for sears level fred perry

skins and rockability are completely different worlds, only sharing youth culture and guitar music and some accidental combining recently. in recent years it seems they've fallen together as some sort of vintage trade show crap to sell to old beaners and never-weres. but just picking between the two as "ones got hair, one doesnt" completely misses the point.

and there are plenty of skins who arent meatheads, just because ROMPERSTOMPER painted a certain portrait doesnt mean shit.

and as far as taking tidbits of skin fashion and building upon it regardless of its subgenre ethics is nothing new, and has been discussed at length already in this thread and is the entire point of this thread, so tiny personal epinions on skins are so pointless.

Not to be a dick... but "old beaners?" What the fuck does that mean?

Also, I know what the fuck skinheads are and what rockabilly is. Apparently you are from the States, this isn't only apparent by your location, but by your usage of the word beaners... and this is yet another example of what the "american" skin head culture has embraced. Being around many "traditional" skinheads and knowing how racist skinheads are, I only see one difference between the two. And that is that the latter admits to their racism while the former hides behind the label "traditional" and claims not to be racist. Your usage of "beaner" illustrates the point.

Also, I thought skinhead was suppose to be a working class movement... blue collar. Not someone with "PAID VACATION."

Not exactly, but with any traditional skinhead group (gangs) that I have come into contact with in LA area/california as a whole, they seem to all have an undercurrent of racism running through them. The sharps are excepted. They obviously go out of their way, but that seems to be a reactionary movement to the many racist/traditional skinheads that give skinheads in the US a bad image.

On another note I do see many hispanic skinheads who are racist... The prison/car gang Nazi Lowriders has many white and hispanic members who are very racist. I don't quite get it, but I have given up trying to understand the nazi skinheads.

i am by no means a skinhead nor have i ever claimed to be, i enjoy reading about youth cultures and subgenres and skins are one that i find interesting to read about and figure out. i didnt mean to use "beaner" in as negative context as it may have sounded, we can talk about it further on PMs, i dont have any qualms about it and i consider myself incredibly leftist and non-racist.

the name "PAID VACATION" comes from a Circle Jerks song, read the lyrics for more info. also i am hardly working class.

PM me for more info, E-flame battles are wasted time.

• 1 month later...
Not exactly, but with any traditional skinhead group (gangs) that I have come into contact with in LA area/california as a whole, they seem to all have an undercurrent of racism running through them. The sharps are excepted. They obviously go out of their way, but that seems to be a reactionary movement to the many racist/traditional skinheads that give skinheads in the US a bad image.

On another note I do see many hispanic skinheads who are racist... The prison/car gang Nazi Lowriders has many white and hispanic members who are very racist. I don't quite get it, but I have given up trying to understand the nazi skinheads.

california skins are the worst man. that racist undercurrent is so prevalent in the "skin" punks out there, and in the hardcore scene in general. as you said, this isn't only about white kids who shave their head; several latino gangs (mexicans in particular) collaborate with neo-nazis for drug deals and such.

I suppose growing up in new york city skewed my conception of those who subscribe to the subculture greatly.

• 4 months later...