Dressing like a skinhead?

jake snake

fsfsdfsdf  

22 members have voted

1. 1. fsfsdfsdf

• rtergegege
    • regergergergeg

As for homosexuality within the subculture, I think that's a moot point as that's in every group. Plus, who cares. If you want to get into talking about sausage fest subcultures, we can talk about straight edge, independent hip hop backpackers, graffiti writers, country clubs, varsity wrestling, fraternities and just about whatever else you can think of, but I don't think any of the above have anything to do with someone's sexual preference.

You make a good point, and I agree with what you said outside of the context of my initial post.

It's not homosexuality that was the point, really. It's the fact that this is a subculture that embraces a very, very masculine aesthetic and it's the fact that that aesthetic is probably the dominant force holding that culture together and bringing that culture together. Naturally, that kind of force will attract a lot of homo and the skinhead movement certainly has as there are a shit ton of gay skin movements in europe. I think that the reason you see those movements is because the majority of skins refuse to acknowledge the fact that the aesthetic is somewhat homoerotic instead of being comfortable with it. The fact that it is denied is what forces the homosexual element to need to define themselves as a separate sect.

The reason I brought it up was that there are a ton of really bad books and web pages that try to give the cult a more solid philosophy and structural fiber than it has. It tries to give itself more credibility as a subculture than just a fashion subculture which, undeniably, it and every single subsect of punk has become and will remain. It's not like fake ethos are making the followers of those groups any less superficial, I simply think they should embrace their reality more.

I've always been attracted to the look. In highschool and a few years following I definitely had the look. More suede than anything else, probably. I liked Oi for a long time but after a while I was trying to hold onto a taste that I had matured away from. My style still harkens back to that period in my life a lot. It's tasteful when done right.

those trojan box sets are great intros to different sounds. my favorites are easily the creole records and suedehead box sets, with reggae sisters following in a close third.

the trojan rocksteady box is too good

the dub box is a must too

the x-rated box is a novelty but not so great

those trojan box sets are great intros to different sounds. my favorites are easily the creole records and suedehead box sets, with reggae sisters following in a close third.

The dancehall 69 compilation is my favourite, just because it has a bit more "off the beaten track" stuff, not the same big names over and over. Does anyone have any nice vinyl? My personal pride and joy is an original copy of Symarip's Skinhead Moonstop album.

You make a good point, and I agree with what you said outside of the context of my initial post.

It's not homosexuality that was the point, really. It's the fact that this is a subculture that embraces a very, very masculine aesthetic and it's the fact that that aesthetic is probably the dominant force holding that culture together and bringing that culture together. Naturally, that kind of force will attract a lot of homo and the skinhead movement certainly has as there are a shit ton of gay skin movements in europe. I think that the reason you see those movements is because the majority of skins refuse to acknowledge the fact that the aesthetic is somewhat homoerotic instead of being comfortable with it. The fact that it is denied is what forces the homosexual element to need to define themselves as a separate sect.

The reason I brought it up was that there are a ton of really bad books and web pages that try to give the cult a more solid philosophy and structural fiber than it has. It tries to give itself more credibility as a subculture than just a fashion subculture which, undeniably, it and every single subsect of punk has become and will remain. It's not like fake ethos are making the followers of those groups any less superficial, I simply think they should embrace their reality more.

I've always been attracted to the look. In highschool and a few years following I definitely had the look. More suede than anything else, probably. I liked Oi for a long time but after a while I was trying to hold onto a taste that I had matured away from. My style still harkens back to that period in my life a lot. It's tasteful when done right.

I have to agree with you on this, it is a very masculine subculture, it has been from the start and has developed even more of a macho overtone to it thanks to the American side of the movement. I am in no way critiscising the american movement, but it has to be said that a lot of the time the american side can be seen to have taken a very different route to the european side, mainly due to the different roots it has.

What I mean is, the American movement for some reason developed out of the 80s hardcore scene, bands like Agnostic front, Warzone, Iron Cross etc, all very macho tough guy type bands, something which I and a lot of my friends (I was very much involved in the skinhead movement for a good few years) could never quite understand. Still now you have a lot of american skins who listen to nothing but hardcore, they dont like ska or reggae, some of them don't even like Oi, which breeds a fundamental difference between the scenes on the two sides of the pond.

Im not denying that the Euro scene is still very masculine, but its not quite the same as the american scene, I dont think theres as much of an importance on appearance on our side of the pond, its more about the music. In america the skinhead movement is still very much like a gang culture, new skinheads get "shaved in", and often beaten in, they have to earn their boots, where as over here its more a case of do you like oi and can you hold your beer, ok thats good enough for me. Yes there is still that sense of identity that can only be achieved by putting on your boots and shaving yor head, but its more a case of taking pride in your appearance than it is displaying your allegiance.

At the end of the day though, there is nothing deep and philosophical about either side of the movement, on the euro side its pretty much just an excuse to get drunk, whereas on the american side its all about proving how tough you are. Its good fun, but its not really something you can say you live your life for, at least not for me which is why I also essentially grew out of it.

In america the skinhead movement is still very much like a gang culture, new skinheads get "shaved in", and often beaten in, they have to earn their boots, where as over here its more a case of do you like oi and can you hold your beer, ok thats good enough for me. Yes there is still that sense of identity that can only be achieved by putting on your boots and shaving yor head, but its more a case of taking pride in your appearance than it is displaying your allegiance.

What you say is truth.

The style is essentially alien to Americans. To the British, the style was something organic that grew out of cultural contrast and stimulation within its own borders. It was rooted in that societies natural framework.

The image had to be transplanted to american culture after the fact. Its prefabrication leads to a certain structure, as it starts small. That is why it tries, in essence, to be more of an esoteric cult that establishes a hierarchy. It's a club, not a movement. A little boys in big boys bodies club. I'm really not impressed with the dolts and dumb-tards that I see slithering their way out of the involved hardcore scenes. They're driven by flimsy ethics, cliche imagery and attitude, and trendy philosophies and ideologies that can only thrive among people who will only find security in numbers.

• 5 years later...

well i for one would not want to dress like a skinny head. the place where i grew up the skinheads were attacking the asians and italians/ greeks pretty badly. whenever they saw kids with no blue eye And Blonde hair in the train station, the skin heads would hassled them or rolled (robbed) them. i think it was the either the Chinese or Vietnamese who finally fought back with machetes and guns (because one of the younger bro got beat up in train station), kicked them back to the northern part of australia. even Back in the days Vivienne Westwood clothing were popular. i think she successfully brought back that skin head look, none of the boys dared to wear those skin head stuff.

unless you are pure whited i.e. have blue eyes AND blonde hair, its quite ridiculous for black or asian kids to dress like a skin head. i don't mind people mixing the bomber jacket or doc in their wardrobe.

for those who have a good memory you will remember the movie

i think they controlled majority of drug dealings in australia back in late 80s.

Dude, even commies are dressing like skinheads now, MA-1, docs etc. Hell homos have been doing it for yrs and it's really popular right now.

gay skinhead...

hot look for 2014â„¢

qG7aUul.jpg

Is that from the Bruce Labruce movie? He made some sort of gay skinhead art xxx film a few yrs ago.

dunno i dont think so

d49809d0146c7dbdcfbc5e25d90c63a7.jpg

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Is that from the Bruce Labruce movie? He made some sort of gay skinhead art xxx film a few yrs ago.

yeah i think it's from skin flick / skin gang (1999)... haven't seen it yet though 

yeah i think it's from skin flick / skin gang (1999)... haven't seen it yet though 

Note: google reverse image search confirmed this is from Skin flick/skin gang by Bruce Labruce. I'm so good with my movin pictures and stuff.

Edited by Fuuma

• 1 month later...