werner herzog thread.

swisloc

thought i'd start this thread on the occasion of the american screen release of "Cobra Verde" nearly 20 years after its original release date. i saw it at IFC this weekend, and it was great to see the final "collaboration" between Herzog and Kinski on the big screen.

anyway, he is such a polarizing director, i was surprised to find no thread about him on a forum as polarizing as superfuture. do you like him? do you hate him? i feel like for most people it's either one or the other.

also: does anyone know if "Rescue Dawn" will see a release?

I just saw Cobra Verde at the same theater during lunch break :) Pure lunacy. I like Herzog, he's not my favorite but I enjoy his movies.

I think Rescue Dawn was rescheduled for end of May but there were some legal problems. I'll ask some friends who will know a lot more than me and I'll let you know. I can't wait to see it but it looks like I'll have to.

also: does anyone know if "Rescue Dawn" will see a release?

I like Herzog's work. His voice is one of a kind (well Schwarzenegger is close in his way of speaking) and I like his unstructured way of moviemaking. I've seen RD at the Rotterdam Film Festival. It's a ok movie, but that's mostly because of Bale.

Incident at Loch Ness was hilarious. The quotes were great too, especially when Herzog pointed out that most people who reported UFO abductions were usually fat and ugly people wanting some attention.

i love that film. that and Burden of Dreams are what really got me into Herzog.

it's weird, cause, he really isn't a great filmaker by the usual standards, and he does things in his documentaries that many would probably consider borderline unprofessional, like scripting portions (which he's said he does in all his documentaries), and inserting himself into the film. but the reason i can't stop watching is probably the same as most of his fans, he's just so unbelievable, as in, "i can't believe this person exists".

his unwillingness to compromise in the face of studios and budget is also legendary. i just put Aguirre at the top of my netflix cue...got to rewatch.

isn't there another herzog thread?

maybe not.

anyway, SWISLOC, herzog doesn't consider his documentaries as such, in fact, he classifies many of his docs "science fiction"

i searched, the only hits were your posts in the "top 10 movies" thread... so i figured i'd find you here eventually.

yeah, i heard him talk about his classification of his docs...are they going to screen Cobra Verde in Philly?

i don't know, actually. i will look into it. i like cobra verde, but it doesn't move me like the other herzog/kinski works.

aguirre

nosferatu

woyzeck

fitzcarraldo

cobra verde

anyways, the herzog/kinski box is well worth the scratch

i've been on the lookout for kinski's vitriolic autobiography "kinski uncut"; the herzog on herzog book is indispensable

• 2 weeks later...

aside from herzog's standard films, i enjoyed les blank's werner herzog eats his shoe rather immensely.

i believe at one point someone uploaded the entire documentary on youtube... but i haven't been able to find it since

• 3 months later...

i read an interview where he said LA has more substance than NYC and that people in LA get things done. He also said that NYC is antiquated like Paris or London.

so cheesy and fishing for conflict. Every article and interview i read about him puts me on the "he's a ego manic" side.

aside from herzog's standard films, i enjoyed les blank's werner herzog eats his shoe rather immensely.

i believe at one point someone uploaded the entire documentary on youtube... but i haven't been able to find it since

here's some clips from it:

-ymyiRXCszc

apparently, it can be found on the HEART OF GLASS dvd...

anyone have the herzog documentaries & shorts box set?

$300 USD after shipping is a tough pill to swallow

i've thought about it many a time...as of yet never able to go through with it. the man is pure imagination though, love his work

• 6 years later...