What bands are cool now?

MilSpex

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jmatsu

the guy who posted right above has great taste.

milspex, for straight up rocknroll i have been listening to cheeseburger. semi-sexist attitude, glen danzig sounding voice, stooges sounding power chords, hipster elite label, but a great rock band.

Hawthorne Heights. For real, the guys are killing it over here. They make Dinosaur Jr and AtDI look like pussies. Also, the Mars Volta sucks.

hahahahahaha

the blood brothers are fucking terrible. fucking terrible.

its interesting to see every band named in this thread be the hyped shit form like the past 2-3 years, not even the past 6 months.

hahahahahaha

the blood brothers are fucking terrible. fucking terrible.

its interesting to see every band named in this thread be the hyped shit form like the past 2-3 years, not even the past 6 months.

while i LIKE the blood brothers (having first seen them at a couple of their early house shows), this is very true.

they peaked in popularity almost four years ago.

as this thread clearly shows, a lot of wack kids listen to them, too.

Guest itsmeJT
i know this probably isn't your style but I fucking love Mind of Asian, such a badass japanese band. Check em out if you like female fronted loudthrashrahcore

why dont you start a new thread? being a complete japophile tool saved my life

while i LIKE the blood brothers (having first seen them at a couple of their early house shows), this is very true.

they peaked in popularity almost four years ago.

as this thread clearly shows, a lot of wack kids listen to them, too.

peaked in popularity almost four years ago? dude four years ago no one knew who they were. four years ago i didnt see 15-16 year old girls at their shows. fuck was burn piano island burn even out four years ago?

anyways whatever i dont really care about your opinion on the blood brothers

more good bands

career suicide

brutal knights

fucked up

cobra noir

crystal castles

born ruffians

saigon distress signal

foxfire forest

full clip orchestra

Constantines.

Straight up fucking badass rock n roll.

Best band of the last 7 years.

Yes, Constantines...I second that. Also, there's a band called Boris that does 'genre albums'. Their version of a thrash metal album is called Pink. It is REALLY good. and ROCKS hard.

Also, the Hold Steady (and if you can find it, there previous band called Lifter Puller.) I like "Almost Killed Me" but they have two other albums too. The songs Hood Rat Friend and 'Stevie Nix' off of their "Separation Sunday" are really good though, and "Boys and Girls in America' they're latest record earned them a headlining spot (fresh off opening for the Constantines) as well as a mention on the tv show Lost and a write-up in Newsweek.

Jon Spencer (of the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion) has a new band called Heavy Trash though I've yet to hear them. He always put out great albums though.

Check out Menomena. Saw them live last Tuesday and think me and everyone else were in awe, but a masterful masterful rock n'roller is....

Pete Doherty (Libertines/Babyshambles)

Yes, he's married to a supermodel. Yes, the English media love/hate him. Yes, he is portrayed as a royal screw up (the super model is Kate Moss) but any song by him in his band the Libertines is great. I mean song not album. In other words, he doesn't write a song that is less than great. Guess his new band is Babyshambles. I haven't heard them but if he's behind it, it's quality.

fuck everyone who's hating on hawthorne heights. you guys just aren't ready for a ROCK band. go back to listening to mos def and talib qweli.

Now that's funny. Hawthorne Heights and Rock used in the same sentence.

Are you a 14 yr girl?

Anyways, check:

The Maccabees

Cheeseburger

driving, straight forward, cuts your teeth, southern rock and punk tinged:

the bronx, the bars, fucked up, cancer bats

ATDI, give yourself something to more complex to chew on:

les savy fav, hot cross, blood bros, we vs. the shark, mewithoutyou, malady, ultra dolphins...

i always find myself revisiting the 90's for the "emo" dose, drive like jehu, antioch arrow, fugazi, hot snakes, hoover, rival schools,

more metal side:

baroness, torche, big business, saviours, priestess, kylesa (sludgey, but yeah why not?), cursed (new EP is loud, brutal, and I can't get enough of it)

the melvins (new album - hoooly shit, one of my favorites of 2006), black elk, mouth of the architecht, intronaut, rosetta

misc you might enjoy

zombi - duo playing synth horror soundtrack style stuff. ambient, groovy, and sounds like a 70's italian horror soundtrack (ala argento, fulci, and the band goblin)

envy - japanese "post hardcore", released a new album, got a lot more "post" but still some emotionally wrenching and powerful stuff

death from above 1979 - power duo playing gritty, slightly dancy, stripped down stuff. i'm always revisiting You're A Woman, I'm a Machine

i think that's a decent list. i feel lik ei'm starting to stretch boundaries into things that aren't quite ATDI, dinosaur JR. esque... but i tried.

On the more obscure tip: colour haze out of germany, deerhunter from the US (shitty name, I know, but their new album is great), and of course dungen from sweden. None of these bands are "cool" per se, but they've been making some awesome music.

deerhunter have actually been around for quite a while, but pitchfork has really been hyping their new album so it seems to be taking off for them.

Guest StuckOnStupid

oh DAMN dawgg i did not even see this thread. I am a fan of many cool and obscure bands and solo troubadors, allow me to list a few!!!

Reichstag Night

Batman Party of Two

Virgil Honeycutt Brings It Home

Quilted for Pleasure

Scarsdale Backdraft

Need for Tweed

Bedrooms of the Blind

Wilshire District CSI

Fucked by Toast

Kittens by Midnight

Miracle Mile High Club

Divisions of Aubrecht