coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

after years of dropping $2.00 (or more) at each trip to a coffee house where I go 3-5 times a week, I'm going to start making it at home with my french press. anyone have any ideas what are the best tasting grounds to buy? I know it's better if you ground it from beans yourself but I'm too lazy for that? any suggestions appreciated.

starbitches.

shall we start a campaign to bring them down?

flyers saying their profits supports child slavery/soldiery in africa and other bad things.

if we're sneaky enough, they won't know whom to sue for libel.

and pins that say "starbitches," of course.

vietnamese coffee(?) my roommate made for me was

like the best thing ever.

I love Vietnamese-style coffee. Very strong and yet very sweet, with the added condensed milk. Tasty...

i'm curious as to what beans they usually use in Vietnam. I know in America they usually use cafe du mont, but Vietnam actually grows their own beans now.....needless to say, the blend in vietnam is much better than what you find in the states.

vietnamese coffee definately runs shit.

starbucks is gay. but its what the people want. maybe people htink becuase they are paying $4+ for a cup of coffee that is has to be good ro something, i dont know. i try to stay away as much as possible but whne im on my way to work, ill cave.

i worked in an amazing italian resaurant and grew a huge appreciation for good coffee. now everything else tastes like dirty water to me.

cities liek montreal are so enamorred with cafe culture that starbucks cant fucking touch them. i hope france is liek that and i really hope italy is like that. but ther is no escaping the evil starbucks machine.

one day i will get my own espresso machine, but until i have that kinda disposable dough, im all about mom and pop cafes. thebeans dont even have to be stellar, as long as it comes in a real mug and not some paper joint.

after years of dropping $2.00 (or more) at each trip to a coffee house where I go 3-5 times a week, I'm going to start making it at home with my french press. anyone have any ideas what are the best tasting grounds to buy? I know it's better if you ground it from beans yourself but I'm too lazy for that? any suggestions appreciated.

My father has gotten crazy about coffee and now buys the beans green, roasts them himself, grinds them and then uses a french press. It's a ritual for him now.

You guys mentioning Vietnam coffee wouldn't happen to be drinking Civet aka Kopi Luwak ( AKA cat shit coffee ) would you ?

http://www.edibleonlineshop.com/shop/browse.php?cmd=showproduct&productId=19

god damn that shit is expensive.

vietnamese coffee uses any god damn dry coffee in a flask.

and shitloads of condensed milk.

never drank coffee in my life, and im closing in on the big three-o. also have never had more than a few sips of any kind of soda before (aside from the occasional mixed drink). once, during my "rave years" i took a caffeine pill to help me stay awake all night....damn near passed out from hardcore nausea. wost feeling ever.

I get my french press grounds from Graffeo.

There was a pretty good coffee thread in trash, got me onto coffeegeek.com. Great for learning the best way of using a cafetiere and stuff, im now addicted to coffee. Had a headache the other day when I woke up with coffee - fuck me!

Anyhow I nipped on down to whittards and spotted a new bean they had in, guatemalan antiga - i dont rate it, not very warm or toasty or coffeesque. Im disapointed every cup- so I try making it double strength and giving it a 7min steep but it just turns out bitter but with no nice coffeesque taste.

Zambian Munali from waitrose is my fav so far. I expect the purists out there are scoffing right now, im a novice i know, I ought to get a conical burr grinder soon.

btw, here are the beans I really like over the years, mainly for ristretto (or espresso)...

• Espresso Dolce from Cafe Vivace in Seattle, I went to Seattle kindda for a coffee tour and Vivace was definitely the best of the best...
  • Little City Blend from Little City in Austin, TX (really disappointed they closed the store on the drag, I used to go there every other Tuesday for their $2 off beans specials, their coffee there was pretty inconsistent though, really depends on which barista you get)
  • Black Cat from Intelligentsia in Chicago, this is kindda the benchmark when they test stuff at CoffeeGeek and HomeBarista
  • Graffeo's dark roast for french press, I live like a block away from their store in north beach and I get them grinded for FP half a pound at a time
  • Sweetness Espresso from Barefoot coffee

What I now grind for ristretto is usually Sweetness Espresso from barefoot, coz they're the closest to where I live (well, during the week). The owner Andy is a member at CoffeeGeek and all their employees are very passionate about their art. Their quality is very consistent, I've never had a bad batch of roast or a bad pour.

When I'm in the mission district (usually for Self Edge), I almost always stop by Ritual Coffee, I know some of their baristas were star baristas in the Seattle scene, and all of them are capable of pouring perfect rosetta latte arts, I've been going there for almost 2 years and they are pretty consistent, only one time did they not get it right, and the barista pulled me another shot to replace it right away...

I was just there yesterday:

434206618_661a8125a0.jpg

my flatmate has been in the coffee game for 15 years....as a barista...a roaster..and now he fixes espresso machines....we have a one group la marzocco at home...and a commercial burr grinder...

because of what he knows about coffee the best cup i have is always at home...perfect grind perfect tamp...spot on...

i drink a double flat white...that is a double shot with warm milk no foam in a short cup...

Guest StuckOnStupid
never drank coffee in my life, and im closing in on the big three-o. also have never had more than a few sips of any kind of soda before (aside from the occasional mixed drink).

may i ask why?

coffeegeek is a great site, but it has had a same effect on me as Sufu did.

they both basically made me realize that what I was consuming/doing/wearing up to that point was shite, and has made me desire items that I have no business purchasing.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Rancilio/rockydoserless.cfm

300 bucks for a damn grinder - but there is a part of me that believes that this machine will drastically improve my life.

So if you guys came over and I served you Maxwell House instant coffee you'd pretty much beat me in WORSE than any n00b beat in before in history correct ?

k then .. just checking