coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

mothers16 

15% of all purchases from verve roaster from now until sunday

free shipping as always

Omotesando Koffee has just opened up in Hong Kong - using the same name which is odd. Planning on swinging by this evening to scope it out...

Odd, cause the one in Tokyo just closed down.

Maybe they moved to Hong Kong?

Odd, cause the one in Tokyo just closed down.

Maybe they moved to Hong Kong?

Yes, when the news came out last year that the original shop was closing, reports also said that Kunimoto would be relocating to Hong Kong. That was pretty exciting news and a welcome addition to what is already a burgeoning third wave culture in HK. However, the Omotesando Koffee HK branch is part of new commercial development that appears an odd location considering the Tokyo original's spirit. It's all very harsh-lit, decked in marble and styled like a high-end bakery rather than an intimate coffee shop. I'd like to check it out though.

I was there a couple of weeks back and, among others, hit up Onibus Coffee in Nakameguro, Switch Coffee in Meguro, Arise Coffee Entangle and their sister shop Arise Coffee Roasters in Kiyosumi. Those were the best of the bunch - I really loved both Arise shops. About Life in Shibuya is also strong. Still not made it to Fuglen which seems to be highly rated.

tokyocoffee.org is a great resource.

Nozy Roastry, Flugen and Talk and Come Again are my favourites.

Need to hit up switch and omnibus. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Is Arise new ? 

Ah yes, I forgot Nozy Roastery as well. Had a good pourover brew there. I'm not sure how new Arise is. They only sell pourover coffee and do it to a very high standard and without all of the pseudo-gourmand act that sometimes ruins an otherwise solid coffee shop. Just a relaxed feeling in both places, though they each have their own special character.

And regarding Omotesando Koffee in HK: I wouldn't bother going there again. The decor was marginally nicer than I expected but it's completely without the essence that made the original shop special and the double espresso was nothing to write home about. Just a franchise operation really. Anyone coming to HK and in need of good coffee options - just shout and I'd be happy to help.

I was there a couple of weeks back and, among others, hit up Onibus Coffee in Nakameguro, Switch Coffee in Meguro, Arise Coffee Entangle and their sister shop Arise Coffee Roasters in Kiyosumi. Those were the best of the bunch - I really loved both Arise shops. About Life in Shibuya is also strong. Still not made it to Fuglen which seems to be highly rated.

tokyocoffee.org is a great resource.

Are you from HK? Tokyo's coffee scene is p crappy.

I've only been to the OG Onibus in Okusaawa and it's garbage. 

Switch is also garbage. Arise – I've never been but it's gets frequent media exposure. 

Streamer's has good latte art but the coffee is garbage. Nozy has good presentation but pretty crappy. Sarutahiko - hit or miss; if you don't get a single origin, it's total garbage; honey latte is good though. I like Amameria Espresso - you can always go for a gibraltar with a double shot; get it to go for a discount – drink it outside on the bench. Bear Pond is interesting but it's pretty lame IMO. 

Honestly, probably the best thing to do is go to Lotus Cafe. order their coffee and stare at the waitresses who are like every sufuer's wetdream

talk and come again is cool. you'll always run into interesting people there. 

Edited by herpsky

intersted in trying out iki espresso in mortar. they have tonic based coffee that's taking over cool guy coffee spots in the us

Herpsky - Yes, I live in Hong Kong but not ''from'' here. Why the dislike of Onibus and Switch? Can't comment on many of your other points but agreed on Streamer - not really my thing at all and wasn't impressed.

Nah, it's just that if you are from Asia and not from the US/Australia, people tend to have a pretty low threshold for calling something totally mediocre as tight. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Has internet coffee culture mostly died? I feel like the coffee threads on all the forums I go to are dead.dead.

Anyway, I bought the Hario Next Siphon because I lost my Yama in a move 2 years ago. The process and cleanup are so involved and it's hard to be consistent but when you nail it, damn the coffee is good.

Edited by wayoutwest

7 hours ago, wayoutwest said:

Yeah, I mean I can't blame him. But he lost control of the company years ago during the multiple rounds of VC. Pretty sure this sale to Nestle was so Google Ventures and other VC companies could get their take.

IMO - Blue bottle was positioning themselves well to be the next Starbucks, and there's a lot of room to grow beyond $700M in the mass market, so I have to wonder...

• 2 years later...
52 minutes ago, conqueror said:

i was in tokyo again last month and went to a mixture of places i've been to on previous trips + some new joints.

little nap
koffee mameya
muto
blue bottle meguro
about life
nozy
hotel drugs
 valley
glitch
onibus
turret
fuglen