coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

• 4 weeks later...

while we're on the topic of aeropress, what's everyone's method?

weekends:

inverted – 230 g 190º water + 15 g coffee, mix ten seconds, steep q 2 minutes, drink.

usual workday morning: 

oh god oh god oh god i'm grinding is that enough shit add hot water shit shit ok i got 2 minutes...shit 30 seconds...fuck push this thing faster, faster fuck fuck fuck i'm late, pour into thermos ok run

while we're on the topic of aeropress, what's everyone's method?

Permutations of these: http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

Somehow stuck permanently at 20g coffee, and water at varying proportions from 83~93c.

Works for most, but I'm speaking from the POV of somebody partial towards Ethiopia/brighter stuff. Makes for a simpler problem of just having to reduce acidity, find fruit, and balance the body.

Lately been doing a 20g version of this with a Kalita (whatever isn't the Wave) model: 

I've had this several times over the last week and it's good, albeit slightly too watery. 

You can make a full immersion cold brew with 1:10 proportions in a mason jar. Been playing with bloom temp but higher (93c) seems to reduce acidity/degas best. 

If my Porlex is cooperating, this method provides the best results. Lots of nuance, and plenty wired after.

That said, I'm looking for a not so ridiculous grinder to run the gamut of methods above. Any recommendations? My ceilng would be 250usd.

Edited by WillKhitie

You can make a full immersion cold brew with 1:10 proportions in a mason jar.

That said, I'm looking for a not so ridiculous grinder to run the gamut of methods above.

Any recommendations? My ceilng would be 250usd.

How are you filtering the cold brew once it's done brewing in your mason jar?

As far as a sub-$250 grinder, i have this and i love it: http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00LW8I45C

As far as a sub-$250 grinder, i have this and i love it: http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00LW8I45C

i have the same model. it's good. the question is, what is your setting when you do a pour over with a kalita? i usually set mine to ~18. maybe my water temp is too high? what do you guys start off with? 

i have the same model. it's good. the question is, what is your setting when you do a pour over with a kalita? i usually set mine to ~18. maybe my water temp is too high? what do you guys start off with? 

I set mine to 20 for pour-overs, but i use a Kone/Chemex combo.

I run it through an aeropress on paper filters. Moderately decent body for cold brew. The only pitfall is that you can't make more than 20g/200g portions. I imagine this could work well via pourover if you've an excellent grinder.

The Virtuoso seems to be the unanimous recommendation. I feel a song coming on...

• 2 weeks later...

i think i've come to the conclusion that filter coffee just isn't for me, especially because almost every aus roaster is into fruity/'bright' notes. since a proper espresso machine is out of the question (due to cost) i guess i'm boned for coffee-at-home solutions.

i'm guessing getting a chemex or something isn't going to magically win me over (have an aeropress + porlex mini currently)?

Edited by conqueror

i think i've come to the conclusion that filter coffee just isn't for me, especially because almost every aus roaster is into fruity/'bright' notes. since a proper espresso machine is out of the question (due to cost) i guess i'm boned for coffee-at-home solutions.

i'm guessing getting a chemex or something isn't going to magically win me over (have an aeropress + porlex mini currently)?

Try this http://sevenseeds.com.au/collections/coffee/products/golden-gate-blend-1

I was looking for a darker blend for a while and this was the only one i really enjoyed it goes fine in an aeropress. Its not exactly what i was looking for but i enjoyed it much more than most other blends i have had from the company. 

Edited by jmthree

Try this http://sevenseeds.com.au/collections/coffee/products/golden-gate-blend-1

I was looking for a darker blend for a while and this was the only one i really enjoyed it goes fine in an aeropress. Its not exactly what i was looking for but i enjoyed it much more than most other blends i have had from the company. 

really? it says it tastes like blackcurrant. i tried their brazil souza and hated it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

got the electric buono while in japan and its made life so much easier. also got a few mizudashi cold brew pitchers ( the large and smaller ones) for around $8 a piece and id suggest anyone looking to make some cold brew to pick those up. that mason jar method is a hassle and a mess for someone like me with no patience.

• 5 months later...

i bought like two bags of heart a month ago. the beans i had bought from coava before that batch were far superior, i felt like. 

what's your favorite roaster? i'm not talking about those microroasters that give you like 3 oz of beans at a time. 

i'm talking about larger but not blown up roasters. 

Some beans I particularly liked:

- Coava

- The Barn (Berlin)

- Sightglass (though this one is really a hit or miss; some are like really weird)

This is how much I've drunk alone over the past 1.5 years at my shack.

5YTsXdr.jpg

That pink label Ethiopian from Heart was good. Verve isn't that great. The LA shop is pretty underwhelming too. 

big fan of smaller midwest coffee joints so far.  

++++ ipsento - great small place that brews solid stuff.

++++ asado roasters - real dark roast, where you can still taste the vegetal/herbal bits

+++ dark matter coffee – their bourbon barrel aged coffees are weird, and are NSFW simply because it smells like alcohol.

big names metropolis/intelligentsia can suck it, though. 

got the electric buono while in japan and its made life so much easier. also got a few mizudashi cold brew pitchers ( the large and smaller ones) for around $8 a piece and id suggest anyone looking to make some cold brew to pick those up. that mason jar method is a hassle and a mess for someone like me with no patience.

i had an electric buono but saw the variable temp control kettle on sale a year ago; changed my life, so much easier to get 180-212º dialed on the dot, and having it keep it at that temp for an hour is the tits.

i definitely need the variable temp kettle now, i didnt realize at the time how much of a pain it can be sometimes. ill leave the buono to my gf/roommate to make tea or whatever it is they do.