coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

anyone use those single-cup vietnamese style drip press things? thinking of getting one but unsure if its any better than the french press i already own

Coffee that comes out of these drippers is really concentrated and meant to be served with sweet condensed milk. If you drink black coffee I'd go a different route.

From what I understand London coffee scene is getting great. The Nordic countries, while I don't know as a whole, have some of the best roasters in the world (Koppi, Wendelboe, Coffee collective). If anything I think the coffee game in the US as a whole is weak as hell. Even major cities like Boston and Chicago don't have a ton of great 3rd wave shops, but if you go to anywhere in Australia/NZ ur going to find amazing shops on every corner. 

From what I understand London coffee scene is getting great. The Nordic countries, while I don't know as a whole, have some of the best roasters in the world (Koppi, Wendelboe, Coffee collective). If anything I think the coffee game in the US as a whole is weak as hell. Even major cities like Boston and Chicago don't have a ton of great 3rd wave shops, but if you go to anywhere in Australia/NZ ur going to find amazing shops on every corner. 

west coast of the US is nice

made some coffee with the barn's beans. it was very good. 

i think the beans are good but the coffee shop itself is like eh

blacktop is probably the best. check out commissary too. it's on fairfax near melrose. they have a really good rotating bean selection.

second blacktop and coffee commissary.  also  portola if youre in OC (I prefer them to blacktop and coffee commissary)

rip handsome

Edited by domdomdomdom

I disagree. Chicago alone has Ipsento and Dark Matter (which hold their own world-class), with a smatter of smaller (Half-Wit, Asado) and larger (Intelligentsia, Metropolis) roasters that are pretty good.  West coast has huge numbers of big-name brewers from far North (Portland with Heart, Stumptown etc), SF (Four barrel, sightglass), LA, San Diego (Coffee & Tea Collective, Bird Rock, etc)...considering 3rd wave originated in the US, saying that the US coffee game is weak is doing a disservice to the collective work of the USian roasting/brewingcommunity. 

In other news, I tried the 14 minute Aeropress recipe herpsky posted earlier, it really does bring out some darker/earthier flavors that I hadn't noticed in my beans before, without the overextraction I usually associated with higher temps. Tasty and thanks for the rec, herp.

blacktop is probably the best. check out commissary too. it's on fairfax near melrose. they have a really good rotating bean selection.

second blacktop and coffee commissary.  also  portola if youre in OC (I prefer them to blacktop and coffee commissary)

rip handsome

thanks.

I thought there was some new place that opened about a year ago in DTLA? somewhere in the arts district.

any of these good?:

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/the-arts-district-becomes-the-coffee-district/article_1dc6dad0-384e-11e3-b7d3-0019bb2963f4.html

Edited by Tiger_style

i keep hearing about go get em tiger but i've never been. is it any good? 

i've tried (i feel like...) the majority of well known coffee shop in SF and I've liked sightglass the best. i felt indifferent about four barrel and the mill. 

i tried Novel Coffee Roasters from Dallas yesterday (thanks to the good folks at Flat Track in ATX). It was very good. 

i've tried (i feel like...) the majority of well known coffee shop in SF and I've liked sightglass the best. i felt indifferent about four barrel and the mill. 

i tried Novel Coffee Roasters from Dallas yesterday (thanks to the good folks at Flat Track in ATX). It was very good. 

forgot about them, gget is good too and worth visiting.  also, salt and straw just opened right near them if youre into ice cream.  

Edited by domdomdomdom

visted Portela today, WOW, so good.  The barista who took my order waskind, I'm not really familar with a lot of the drinks, I usually get a Latte at intelligentsia, sometimes tea. He ended up hooking up 2 drinks, a latte & a gaspar. the gaspar was incredible, really bold espresso flavor.  latte was on point.  i also like the decor, exposed insulation/warehouse aesethic.

I'll try blacktop next. any reccomendation? I like the latte, mostly because of the foam. :P

20150331_104551_zpstiz1fkmx.jpg

20150331_105058_zpsoatjnrtk.jpg

Edited by Tiger_style

I'll try father carpenter and bonanza

Coffee game outside of America is like v shitty

Is this you're conclusion or a quote from someone else ?

Iv traveled the states and struggled to get anything that suggests that it was vaigly related to a drink made from a coffee bean , as fran was the one exception , the coffee shops I frequented in India had a better strike rate , iv never been to France however I have been to Tahiti " French Polynesia "and was blessed with great coffee there and like others have already stated New Zealand has a great coffee culture finding it almost impossible to not find a great brew on almost every corner and last but not least my home town of melbourne could possibly rival Italy for a great brew , and that's with my limited travel so I ask you sir having made such a radical claim have you even left the states .

Iv traveled the states and struggled to get anything that suggests that it was vaigly related to a drink made from a coffee bean , as fran was the one exception , the coffee shops I frequented in India had a better strike rate , iv never been to France however I have been to Tahiti " French Polynesia "and was blessed with great coffee there and like others have already stated New Zealand has a great coffee culture finding it almost impossible to not find a great brew on almost every corner and last but not least my home town of melbourne could possibly rival Italy for a great brew , and that's with my limited travel so I ask you sir having made such a radical claim have you even left the states .

lol. 

u the one who's never left some wack ass wypipo land

Copped an aeropress. I used to have one when I was in school. Picked one up for 20% off from Bed & Bath. I've been french pressing for the past couple weeks because I ran out of V60 filters. Felt terrible wasting good beans. 

ejsy

i don't even know what the fuck you're trying to say. 

Anyone have reccomended coffee spots in Denver or Boulder? ( or anything to do/shops for that matter)

A little late on this but in Denver, check out Little Owl, Huckleberry, and Novo for good coffee. Steadbrook is a rad little retail shop that serves coffee as well from local roaster Middle State Coffee. While you're there, make sure you eat at Work & Class and Steuben's. In Boulder there are a few decent cafes there and a cool boutique called Cedar & Hyde. 

Go Get Em Tiger and G&B serve up some of the best coffee I've had in the US alongside a really innovative menu. The Business & Pleasure (shot of espresso + iced almond milk latte, served with a sparkling tea chaser to cleanse the palate in between) is my favorite thing to order there. I really like their bar-style service too - no need to wait in line, just walk right up and find an open barista and give them your order. 

i've had the aeropress for a few months now and still can't get a cup that i really enjoy, everything ends up usually too fruity, sour or acidic for my liking. maybe filter coffee isn't for me, esp since aeropress isn't 'true' espresso.

edit: should say that i've tried numerous beans, grinds, brewing times and inverted.

Edited by conqueror

i've had the aeropress for a few months now and still can't get a cup that i really enjoy, everything ends up usually too fruity, sour or acidic for my liking. maybe filter coffee isn't for me, esp since aeropress isn't 'true' espresso.

edit: should say that i've tried numerous beans, grinds, brewing times and inverted.

I'm experimenting. I didn't like it at low temp like 85 degs. Now I do 95. It came out too dark. Then again, if I do dilute it, it tastes like crap. I've had really good cups of aeropress at coffee shops so I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I should steep less. Maybe I  shouldn't sitr. Hmm.

somone educate me on metal aeropress filters.

apparently, the us aeropress champ used an artisanal japanese made metal filter. 

your thoughts on this? (or other metal filters)

Edited by herpsky

visted Portela today, WOW, so good.  The barista who took my order waskind, I'm not really familar with a lot of the drinks, I usually get a Latte at intelligentsia, sometimes tea. He ended up hooking up 2 drinks, a latte & a gaspar. the gaspar was incredible, really bold espresso flavor.  latte was on point.  i also like the decor, exposed insulation/warehouse aesethic.

I'll try blacktop next. any reccomendation? I like the latte, mostly because of the foam. :P

Glad you liked Portola.  Their coffee is really freaking good compared to a lot of other joints.  Try their Kyoto iced coffee is you're in the mood for it sometime.  Really good stuff.  I used to exclusively drink their lattes because they were so delicious but I've weened myself off of the cream and usually get their V60 nowadays.

If you're ever around Chinatown, you should try Chimney.  Their coffee is pretty good too.

somone educate me on metal aeropress filters.

apparently, the us aeropress champ used an artisanal japanese made metal filter. 

your thoughts on this? (or other metal filters)

Metal filters let oils and tiny coffee particles through the filter, so the resulting coffee can be thicker and more full-bodied, kinda like in french press. Normal paper filter cuts the crap out, so coffee is clearer and the acidity is more pronounced. Imo some coffees are better with metal filter, and some are not.

I'm experimenting. I didn't like it at low temp like 85 degs. Now I do 95. It came out too dark. Then again, if I do dilute it, it tastes like crap. I've had really good cups of aeropress at coffee shops so I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I should steep less. Maybe I  shouldn't sitr. Hmm.

Do you have a good grinder? Probably the coffee houses have better ones. I've made tests with my cheap home grinder versus for example EK43, and the grind quality (read: coffee particles are similar sized, so they extract in same 'speed') makes a whole lot of difference when using aeropress, v60, kalita etc.