coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

switched from v60 to wave a few days ago and am loving the results

are ridged coffee filters mandatory for the wave?

i'm using a larger cone filter that contours nicely to the wave after some weight from the grind goes in

also any recommendations on some good hand grinders?

thanks

Edited by ilovefriedchicken

switched from v60 to wave a few days ago and am loving the results

are ridged coffee filters mandatory for the wave?

i'm using a larger cone filter that contours nicely to the wave after some weight from the grind goes in

also any recommendations on some good hand grinders?

thanks

I believe I read on home barista that using filters not designed for the wave contributes to uneven extraction from the coffee grounds. The "waves" of the filter do affect the extraction so it's a good idea not to fuck up the waves when brewing. As for prerinsing the filter, in my experience it's not required when using the official wave filters but of course, your tastes may vary (FYI there has been a championship level cup brewed from unrinsed wave filter a few years back). 

As for the best hand grinder for non-espresso, I co-sign on the OE Lido 2 - you should cop now as it will go out of stock again. 

If you're ready to move on to the best of the best <$1.5k grinder for drip/siphon, you should check out the Fuji Royal R220 that's used in some of the best siphon coffee bars in japan

mmirukko01.jpg?_ex=60x60

After four years of daily service my Baratza Virtuoso Preciso (now I think it's just called the Preciso?) failed me for the first time. It's letting forth a high pitched scream as if the burrs are seized--no grinding occurs. I can't say I've been particularly diligent about cleaning, and use has been heavy, typically 2x per day. I may try and diagnose and DIY it, otherwise I'm going to send it in for servicing (heard Baratza are very good about this). If anybody has any quick thoughts, I'd appreciate them. 

On the plus side, I made a wonderful pourover this morning using my Hario Skerton (unmodded, with Kalita Wave). It was a nice reminder of how good of a grinder that little thing can be when properly dialed in. 

In other news, I agree that it's interesting to see the brew temps on the Aeropress championship recipes. For a couple of years now--after accidentally brewing an excellent cup--I've been using 175-180F water. I guess I was on to something... I haven't followed the link, but I've had best results using the traditional paper filter over the Abledisk or other metal filters at these lower temps. 

^^^ I think it's called the Precisio now (built towards espresso) and then the Virtuoso and then the Encore (their customer service is the tits btw) 

I believe I read on home barista that using filters not designed for the wave contributes to uneven extraction from the coffee grounds. The "waves" of the filter do affect the extraction so it's a good idea not to fuck up the waves when brewing. As for prerinsing the filter, in my experience it's not required when using the official wave filters but of course, your tastes may vary (FYI there has been a championship level cup brewed from unrinsed wave filter a few years back). 

As for the best hand grinder for non-espresso, I co-sign on the OE Lido 2 - you should cop now as it will go out of stock again. 

If you're ready to move on to the best of the best <$1.5k grinder for drip/siphon, you should check out the Fuji Royal R220 that's used in some of the best siphon coffee bars in japan

mmirukko01.jpg?_ex=60x60

So usually superfuture is all about the japanese® stuff, but I'd disagree and say most interesting coffee is being done stateside, but I've never heard of Fuji being recommended for a grinder vs., say a Bunnzilla (Bunn G1-G3 + Ditting replacement burrs) being heavily supported by the homebrew community.  

The Bunnzilla is slightly more expensive (buying used, probably $600-700 all said and done) but has a shitload of people troubleshooting.  One other consideration is that Bunn grinders hold their value pretty well and if you get bored, you can end up selling it for about the same years later.

Edited by po_boy_fuuma_hatesbürgerz

http://coffeekind.com/bonavita/bonavita-electric-variable-temperature-gooseneck-kettle-1l

pretty cheap at $60, compared to $85+ on amazon/etc. Buy one now!

http://coffeekind.com/bonavita/bonavita-electric-variable-temperature-gooseneck-kettle-1l

pretty cheap at $60, compared to $85+ on amazon/etc. Buy one now!

That kettle isn't great, been using it for 6 months now and flow rate is super weird with it either dripping a lot, or being too strong of a stream. Also loses heat really fast, so if you're doing a 3.5+ min brew you're going to lose 4 or 5 degrees at least. Would recommend just picking up one of the kalita goosenecks and a thermometer/cheap water heater.

Or if ur a baller get a monarch methods 

http://monarchmethods.com/collections/all/products/mk500

I might want to go even colder from now on, still probably brewing around 210º-220ºF most days.

I've been following permutations of these 3 for awhile.. http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

Interesting one is 2nd place, wherein you steep it for 3 minutes in 35c water before brewing at 92c.

There's similarities between this and the 2nd place recipe in the Japanese championships–finer grinds and colder temps. I managed to try the Japanese one just now and it's definitely in the same ballpark in terms of flavour.

Remember I started brewing at pretty high temps also about two years ago. The trend for brewing temperatures seems to be going down.

Orphan Espresso Lido 2 for sufu-approved insanity

Does anyone actually own this? Saw people rave on these last year I think but reading the Q&A on their site just now puts me off. Paying $175 for 10% fines for a supposedly consistent hand grinder seems unappealing to say the least.

That kettle isn't great, been using it for 6 months now and flow rate is super weird with it either dripping a lot, or being too strong of a stream. Also loses heat really fast, so if you're doing a 3.5+ min brew you're going to lose 4 or 5 degrees at least. Would recommend just picking up one of the kalita goosenecks and a thermometer/cheap water heater.

Or if ur a baller get a monarch methods 

http://monarchmethods.com/collections/all/products/mk500

i've had the same bonavita variable temp kettle. didn't know. i've never used any other ones.

gimme a recipe.  

Inverted Recipe:  

1: Heat 250 grams of water to 200 degrees, 18 grams of beans ground pretty med. 

2: Add grinds to aeropress, add 250 grams of water, let sit for 10 minutes. 

3: At 10 minutes stir the grinds, use like a chopstick or something so u can get any shit that is at the bottom

4: let sit for four more minutes. 

5: Pre heat the mug you are pressing into.  Do a normal 30 second press or whatever you like to do. 

anyone had whiskey barrel coffee?

stupid pricey ($30-40 per 8oz) but this place north of me had a 50% off deal, so I grabbed a bag for $18.  the beans def have a whiskey/vanilla/oak aroma to them.  I'm interested to see how it turns out.

UPDATE:  huge whiskey notes during the bloom/brew.  2 people walked over and asked if I poured Jack in my coffee.  As I walked down the hall, the scent trailed me.  Way stronger than I imagined and a very interesting cup of coffee.  For reference, I used my V60 with 25 g coffee and about 415 g water.

Edited by Layne

Just wanted to give a quick plug to Bicycle Coffee, here in the Bay Area. Better by miles than Blue Bottle (and much nicer people) and I think more flavorful than Four Barrel. I personally like their medium roasted Guatemala varieties. Lots of nice fruity notes. I'm a minority I know in that I really don't like most dark or espresso roasts so these are much more appealing to my taste.

I'll try father carpenter and bonanza

Coffee game outside of America is like v shitty

high end coffee game doesnt really exist that much in europe because our everyday coffee is good enough that people dont feel the need to compensate by going full autism about it. i had some amazing coffees on my last trip to america but tbh my regular here is good enough that i dont really feel the need to invest a lot of extra time/money into getting something better. its just coffee.

same reason why there are so many 'foodies' in london. because everyday food is garbage.

Edited by ProfMonnitoff