coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

What grinder are you using? That will play a factor too.

My work setup at the office is a Hario Slim Mill and a aeropress. Planning to get the Able Disk after I finish up using all the paper filters.

At home i use a V60. Although I am tempted to get a Kalita since it is easier to control the water flow.

I like the aeropress for it's versatility. Traveling, camping, bike touring. I have a Clever, Kalita 155, V60 02, Beehouse, Chemex, nel drip (hario woodneck), and an aeropress. I probably like the Chemex the best, but if I had to own one, it would be the aeropress no question. If you get an aeropress I recommend picking up the Able Disk Fine. I find the cup to be both richer and cleaner. Paper filters are nice for iced presses, though.

^ I had not properly checked out the Able Disc before but that looks like a great addition to my Aeropress set-up. Is the Fine version something you would recommend over the regular Disc? I tend to prefer a fuller bodied coffee when using Aeropress (and would use V60 for something sweeter and cleaner) so I'm inclined to pick up the regular.

I imagine you also need to get into the habit of not shooting the used coffee puck into the bin when using an Able Disc, ha.

^ I had not properly checked out the Able Disc before but that looks like a great addition to my Aeropress set-up. Is the Fine version something you would recommend over the regular Disc? I tend to prefer a fuller bodied coffee when using Aeropress (and would use V60 for something sweeter and cleaner) so I'm inclined to pick up the regular.

I imagine you also need to get into the habit of not shooting the used coffee puck into the bin when using an Able Disc, ha.

You would probably want the regular disk. It does allow for more oils to be extracted into your cup. Additionally, it's thicker and therefore more durable. So that's nice. Regarding shooting the puck, I did this and forgot about it until 2 weeks later. Too late to dig through the trash :unsure: . That's what I get for having too many brewing methods. I forget my procedures and then don't realize that I even made a mistake until it's too late. Really missing it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an experience with the Philips Saeco "Burr Grinder, Top"?

CA6805-47.jpg

Vente Privee has it for $55, and the idea of an automatic burr grinder is quite appealing, but only if it's at least at Hario hand-grinder quality standard. If it's halfway decent, I'm going to grab it - if anyone else wants to too, hook a brother up and use my referral link.

just got this hario cold brewer from seattle coffee gear for $20

mcpn-14b2.jpeg

best coffee related investment in a long time. this shit brews delicious cold brew coffee with minimal effort; wish i found out about this earlier.

i was also about to cop this:

lidogroup2.jpg

This is the best grinder for coarser grinds for under $200. too bad they sold out

• 2 weeks later...

I find breaking down coffee into fractions of grams to be very tedious for daily use. I use 15oz of water to 5 level tablespoons of freshly ground beans in a Chemex with a Kone.

I leave the bean counting and weighing to when i visit the slow bar at the cafes i frequent.

i tried the kone, really hated it. But it was the older model, do you have the new one?

• 1 month later...

Required reading for anybody into espresso (written by Erin Meister from Counter Culture):

http://drinks.seriou....html?ref=title

Edited by kiya

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

so i've read through most of this thread over the past week or so, and combined with someone gifting me an aeropress, i've recently picked up a slightly used virtuoso due to the great comments on it. really making some killer coffee with flattrack's miravalle. excited to be back in portland in a few weeks and really be able to pick up some killer coffee

anyone have any reqs on making espresso at home? i saw some people discussing the mypressi but it looks like it's outta commission? (blog not updated in quite a while, sold out etc)..  ideally looking for something that's not too bulky of a machine, budget isn't a huge issue though. ideally looking for something similar to that mypressi

planning to buy a Gaggia Classic with a Rancilio Silvia steam pipe for better steaming. also a Compak K-3 mill for the beans. just waiting to find the right price... the Rancilio Silvia takes a little too long to heat unfortunately. otherwise I'd go with a Silvia.

^ i've got a silvia, no problems with heating times? put it on when I get up, ready to go by the time i get out the shower!

hmm ok, how many mins does it take to heat?

edit: and what grinder do you use? :)

Edited by house

about 20 mins or thereabouts?

first time i used it i thought it was taking ages to warm up, turns out the light goes off when it's @ operating temp, i was waiting for the light to come on to tell me it was ready, lol

breville smart grinder

awesome combo!

Had several Amazon gift cards so I grabbed a Baratza Virtuoso.  I'm quite happy with it.  The grinds are much more consistent than the hand-operated Camano Coffee Mill that I've been using for the past year or so... it really does make a difference in the cup.

Still pretty much stuck on pourovers too.  I like my Aeropress but it's just not the same.

about 20 mins or thereabouts?

first time i used it i thought it was taking ages to warm up, turns out the light goes off when it's @ operating temp, i was waiting for the light to come on to tell me it was ready, lol

breville smart grinder

awesome combo!

ahh okay, that's pretty ok I guess. i don't know which one to buy now, tough choice!

Anyone have an experience with the Philips Saeco "Burr Grinder, Top"?

CA6805-47.jpg

Vente Privee has it for $55, and the idea of an automatic burr grinder is quite appealing, but only if it's at least at Hario hand-grinder quality standard. If it's halfway decent, I'm going to grab it - if anyone else wants to too, hook a brother up and use my referral link.

Got this for my office. Gave it to a friend to use at home after 2 weeks.

Pro: -Compact & Light - I brought this to cabin trip and to a friends house with ease.

-Good grind consistency

-Good range of settings for pressurized-portafilter machines to french press

Con: -TOO loud for office use of if you need a 'quieter' grinder

- Grinds tend to fly off from the side of the catcher

- Stupid safety features. Would have been rather if they had a master on/off switch in the back instead.

- Doesnt do big batch grinds very well.

I would only get this if you were planning on doing a brew a week or something. If it is a daily machine that you are looking for, go with an Encore.

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to buy a Gaggia Classic, and just bought a Rancilio Silvia steam pipe, what a difference with the Silvia pipe! Beautiful steamed milk :)

Here's some pics

My Gaggia with standard pipe:

w5dk.jpg

With replaced pipe:

y79k.jpg

Now I just need a new mill and I'm 100% good to go.

Looove it :)

Edited by house

niceeeee

def don't skimp out on the grinder!  if you can afford it, the Vario is the way to go.  I personally use the preciso and while it's fine for espresso (and really really great for courser grinding), I'm already looking to upgrade