coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

@ Wayoutwest,

heres a quote from that thread.

"W_378 is the part number. It is called a 'water inlet/vibratory pump filter screen'.

Don't worry. It took me a long time to find it, too. It is $6.18 on espressoparts, but only $2.xx at filtersfast.com. Look up ga4004 on amazon"

• 2 months later...

glad someone dug up this thread, should have done it a long time ago.

I don't know how much Todd Carmicheal puts on for the cameras, but he has been known for his unconventional buying practices for some time now. There are very few, if any, green coffee buyers who buy this way. Even direct trade practictioners like Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, etc, don't walk errantly onto someones farm and start pulling cherries. The coffees he buys in some of the episodes is different too. Buying a well grown, well processed, high grade robusta, as he did in the madagascar episode, was kind of weird. Maybe the conventional wisdom is off, but I have seen overwhelming evidence from multiple parties that even really high grade robusta is still really bitter and flat. I dig that he's into direct trade but I think he's kind of a tool, so I don't watch it all that often.

Kiya- you made it to Graffiti on La Brea (and 2nd) yet? Might be the most pretentious-looking space in the history of almost anything, but I'm actually a huge fan. Good coffee, remarkably comfortable space to spend some time in, and warm staff.

Also, Cognoscenti just opened their second shop in Culver City today. Just stopped by for a quicky. Definitely worth a visit next time you're down this way!

Kiya- you made it to Graffiti on La Brea (and 2nd) yet? Might be the most pretentious-looking space in the history of almost anything, but I'm actually a huge fan. Good coffee, remarkably comfortable space to spend some time in, and warm staff.

Also, Cognoscenti just opened their second shop in Culver City today. Just stopped by for a quicky. Definitely worth a visit next time you're down this way!

That is easily one of the strangest cafes i've been to. It's like an Austin Powers themed nightclub turned cafe.

• 3 weeks later...

GF got me the Handsome gift set for Christmas. Don Medardo, Honduras and Aida Battle's Finca Tanzania. Just finished Aida Battle's. She continues to impress. On my first cup of Don Medardo via Kalita Wave. Sinus infection so subtle notes are being lost, but it has a great mouthfeel and dry, pleasant finish.

8337526569_ef6cdd8743_z.jpg

received an aeropress for christmas. only made two cups so far (regular--not inverted--method) but must say that so far i am quite impressed. i can see myself using this thing a lot in the coming years--quite useful. good gift.

Aeropress is so legitimate. One of my favorite cups. www.brewmethods.com for more ideas.

thank you, WOW, for that brew methods link--i know i'd come across it before sometime in my coffee obsessing but failed to bookmark it. very useful site, and in fact i just used it to try the "2012 NW Aeropress Champ" method to really outstanding results with semi-stale coffee (just came home from traveling). so good, in fact, that i made two cups back to back.

the only thing i didn't use was the able disk (i'm scoping this closely though--ever used one?). i used the standard paper filter and was amazed at the improvement in body afforded by letting the coffee steep in the inverted method.

i've been doing v60 pourovers almost exclusively for the past year or more and gotten VERY good at them. but early results from this little aeropress have me thinking i could potentially get a better cup using it. plans to take this thing to my office are now on hold.

the only thing i didn't use was the able disk (i'm scoping this closely though--ever used one?). i used the standard paper filter and was amazed at the improvement in body afforded by letting the coffee steep in the inverted method.

i've been doing v60 pourovers almost exclusively for the past year or more and gotten VERY good at them. but early results from this little aeropress have me thinking i could potentially get a better cup using it. plans to take this thing to my office are now on hold.

yes, I had the Disk FINE, which I highly recommend. The downside to having so many brew methods, is I don't use some as frequently as others, such as the aeropress. I used it one day, plunged the disk in the trash without thinking, and only realized 2 weeks later. Too late to dig it out of the trash. Definitely missing it.

I've been buying bags from a small local Houston roaster called Dodd Coffee and have been very impressed. After a few disappointing bags from some of the well-known coffee guys, I had to venture out.

They don't have a storefront, but I can place an online order and in 2 days it's in my mailbox. They also sell 16 oz bags as opposed to a lot of folks who do 12 oz. Some people may not want a full pound, but I don't have a problem with it. From their current selection, I've had the Ethiopian Tchembe, Columbian Microlot, and I just got the Finca Cabrejo.

If you wanna try something new, check em out. Prices are great and if you message them on Twitter, they'll give you free shipping.

Looking for a decent grinder to use with my Bodum french press, but Im not trying to spend about 5x the amount I bought the press for. Does anyone have any budget recommendations for a grinder capable of turning out a consistent coarse ground suitable for a french press? I was probably thinking a Hario Skerton manual grinder.

Looking for a decent grinder to use with my Bodum french press, but Im not trying to spend about 5x the amount I bought the press for. Does anyone have any budget recommendations for a grinder capable of turning out a consistent coarse ground suitable for a french press? I was probably thinking a Hario Skerton manual grinder.

I like the Porlex hand grinder better: http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2

most of the hand grinders in the budget range have poor fitment causing the burrs to move around in corse setting.

If you get the Hario, there are mods out there to reduce the 'play' during the grinding period.

IMO, if you can save a bit more, the OE Lido will provide you with better results and a longer lasting grinder either for home use or on the go.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-LIDO-Manual-Coffee-Grinder_p_4682.html

Thanks. Seems like the best spot around but a little far, so I'm going to try to check it out if time permits. Hoping to find some places around Harvard Square / Cambridge ?

You're probably best off checking out Dwelltime. It's a (pleasant) 10-15 minute walk from the center of the square and it's much more suited to the presence of humans than Barismo's main location. FYI, Dwelltime is Barismo's cafe--the other location in Arlington is their roasting/lab location.

You're probably best off checking out Dwelltime. It's a (pleasant) 10-15 minute walk from the center of the square and it's much more suited to the presence of humans than Barismo's main location. FYI, Dwelltime is Barismo's cafe--the other location in Arlington is their roasting/lab location.

Sounds perfect. Thanks!

Going to Portland next week for the week. Where to drink coffee besides Stumptown?

Heart Roasters

Ristretto

Coava

Sterling Coffee Roasters

I knew you'd be the first one with this info.

Will take photos of espresso for Instagram likes next week.

Dwelltime is solid. Cold brew on tap!

RJ Gourmet, Sherman Cafe, and Clover are my other favorite spots in Somerville to get a cup.

one of my french presses just broke, thinking about replacing it with either a chemex, or an espro press.. any recos?

You looking to brew pots of coffee or smaller servings/espresso? I would go Chemex for pots and Aeropress for small servings.