coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I'm down to visit, I miss me some Sightglass. When are you working there?

working there tomorrow from open to 1:30 PM. also tues, wed in the daytime and thurs at night. we have the ethiopian, costa rican, and guatamalan right now. the ethiopian is delightful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

4am, haven't gone to sleep yet and this thread made me go make a cup of coffee!

For a quick cup I usually use our Bosh single serve which is nice and fast. Not sure if i've really ever had a good cup of coffee as I normally always add sugar and creme. Most coffee i've tried is just to bitter to drink black. Any recommendations to any that's sweater when black?

4am, haven't gone to sleep yet and this thread made me go make a cup of coffee!

For a quick cup I usually use our Bosh single serve which is nice and fast. Not sure if i've really ever had a good cup of coffee as I normally always add sugar and creme. Most coffee i've tried is just to bitter to drink black. Any recommendations to any that's sweater when black?

coffee is bitter, there is no avoiding that. what a good coffee also has though is acidity, and the hardest thing to achieve, sweetness.

the overtly bitter flavor can be attributed to a number of things, most commonly, over roasting of the beans or over-extraction of the coffee (this can be achieved by too long of a pour time which can be attributed to too fine of a grind, or too much coffee). If you are buying a nice coffee and brewing the coffee in a correct way (there is no "correct' device to brew coffee, it is all to your taste, but the proper technique for using the certain preparation) the coffee should be more suiting to your taste.

seems like the bosch single serve uses pods? you can't control the coffee quality with that so try exploring some other coffee makers. it can be as easy as using a french press and buying freshly roasted coffee that is of higher quality.

AJ what did you think of the sightglass? Someone gave me two bags, tried aeropress with various methods, v60 with paper and chemex with coava kone, had a lot of difficulty extracting much flavor from them. For me they were pretty acidic which I like but a bit too subtle.

AJ what did you think of the sightglass? Someone gave me two bags, tried aeropress with various methods, v60 with paper and chemex with coava kone, had a lot of difficulty extracting much flavor from them. For me they were pretty acidic which I like but a bit too subtle.

are you brewing it differently in any other way than how you usually brew? my shop had sightglass as a guest roaster, but did not have less "flavor" than our usual intelligentsia coffee.

on another note, we just got in four different coffees to sample from sightglass. i saw the Nicaraguan, Kenyan, and El Salvador in the bag. Made a chemex pot of the Kenyan, but it was a little underwhelming. I'll have to try it again along with the other coffees.

i've been rocking a bag of Verve's Panama Elida Estate at home. it's one of the first unwashed natural process coffees i've tried and it is seriously funky. extremely strong notes of strawberry dry and wet, and very intense and tart. definitely recommend trying the panama if you have not experienced an unwashed coffee before.

i've been rocking a bag of Verve's Panama Elida Estate at home. it's one of the first unwashed natural process coffees i've tried and it is seriously funky. extremely strong notes of strawberry dry and wet, and very intense and tart. definitely recommend trying the panama if you have not experienced an unwashed coffee before.

I had a bag of the espresso Elida Estate. Don't know if the roast is different from the one you have, but it was phenomenal. A really kickass single origin espresso.

Roasted coffee is fresh for around 14 days. After that, it doesn't change much up to a year.

Been doing this Japanese Iced Coffee method for the last week. So delicious and easy and I don't have to plan 18 hours ahead like I normally would with a cold brew.

I appreciated it even more after reading Peter's write up of the method here. http://petergiuliano...se-the-japanese

agree, I've been doing this in a chemex for most of the summer. it's delicious.

I had a bag of the espresso Elida Estate. Don't know if the roast is different from the one you have, but it was phenomenal. A really kickass single origin espresso.

interesting, i'm curious to how the two bags differ.

as for the japanese iced coffee method, i'm not a huge fan. i feel a lot of single origins just do not work as iced coffee, but that's my opinion. personally when i'm drinking iced coffee, i just want to chug it to get through a hot day, and the cold brew process smooths it out too well.

what is everybody's preferred brew method and procedure? my go to is a chemex using 26.25 grams of coffee and 420 grams of water. 45 second bloom time and 1:30 to 1:45 extraction.

what is everybody's preferred brew method and procedure? my go to is a chemex using 26.25 grams of coffee and 420 grams of water. 45 second bloom time and 1:30 to 1:45 extraction.

I find breaking down coffee into fractions of grams to be very tedious for daily use. I use 15oz of water to 5 level tablespoons of freshly ground beans in a Chemex with a Kone.

I leave the bean counting and weighing to when i visit the slow bar at the cafes i frequent.

Edited by kiya

I find breaking down coffee into fractions of grams to be very tedious for daily use. I use 15oz of water to 5 level tablespoons of freshly ground beans in a Chemex with a Kone.

I leave the bean counting and weighing to when i visit the slow bar at the cafes i frequent.

Yes, it is a bit tedious at times, butiI'm a huge advocate of consistency and using a scale is really the only way i've been able to make a consistent cup every time i brew. plus it is practice for me as my shop does chemex pour overs to order. how is the kone for you though? i've heard some varying opinions on it, but it seems like proper technique is really important.

are you brewing it differently in any other way than how you usually brew? my shop had sightglass as a guest roaster, but did not have less "flavor" than our usual intelligentsia coffee.

The sightglass I have is the Costa Rica Los Angelese and Costa Rica Finca Genesis.

I tried steeping it longer in the aeropress as well doubling up on the grinds which had the best results. I also noticed it sounded different in my burr grinder, and noticed that I had to grind it longer than normal. At the office, we tried it in a Technivorn and it both still came out underwhelming.

Edited by DaBestSpoona

Yes, it is a bit tedious at times, butiI'm a huge advocate of consistency and using a scale is really the only way i've been able to make a consistent cup every time i brew. plus it is practice for me as my shop does chemex pour overs to order. how is the kone for you though? i've heard some varying opinions on it, but it seems like proper technique is really important.

With the Kone, the biggest annoyance is finding the right grind size. I have the first gen kone, the newest 3rd gen kone has finer holes and a rounded tip, that might make finding the right grind size less of an issue.

The sightglass I have is the Costa Rica Los Angelese and Costa Rica Finca Genesis.

ah yes, we had the costa rican finca i believe. from what i remember it was an extremely delicate coffee, so it might just be the characteristic of the bean. from my experience, costa ricans are known to be less about the big body and more about the delicate acidities and flavor. try it in a V-60 if you have it, it might bring out the delicate flavors more.

the sightglass summer offering of ethiopian (forgot the name but it is not currently on the website) was quite nice. tasting it next to the intelligentsia ethiopian doyo was a treat. try their new ethiopian or their el salvador (friend's recommendation) and i think you'll find those a little fuller.

interesting, i'm curious to how the two bags differ.

as for the japanese iced coffee method, i'm not a huge fan. i feel a lot of single origins just do not work as iced coffee, but that's my opinion. personally when i'm drinking iced coffee, i just want to chug it to get through a hot day, and the cold brew process smooths it out too well.

for V60

i've been playing around with recent WBC champ Matt Pergers V60 recipe.

it differs from most other V60 methods in three ways. 1) it uses a much finer grind than most recipes call for 2) you purposefully wash the grounds back down the sides, rather than riding the bloom and 3) you stir the grounds.

in his winning WBC performance, he discussed sifting the ground with a #60 mesh (250 micron) sieve to filter out fines. I've been looking for an affordable sieve, but I can't find anything under $40.

to respond to your chemex parameters, I haven't used the Chemex much. My grandmother (whom I live with) brews half-caf and prefers the Chemex (it is hers, after all) so I it's usually got her coffee in it.

have you thought about getting the Kone 3? Heard great things.

Anyone have the Able Disk FINE filter for their Aeropress? what is your recipe? I've been using Stumptown's recipe, which was developed with the paper filter in mind, but I've found it to work well.

Edited by wayoutwest

Maybe a bit too fast. i think you actually want to go for 2:30 - 3:00

Are you saying the entire brew time should be 2:30 including bloom time? I wrote the times in literal step by step times, so the entire process would take 2:30 from when i first pour the water to bloom to when i stop the process at 420 grams.

for V60

i've been playing around with recent WBC champ Matt Pergers V60 recipe.

------

have you thought about getting the Kone 3? Heard great things.

oh yes, i've seen his winning video and it seems really interesting. i'll have to try that procedure of brewing sometime. for the hario i use about the same parameters as the chemex, but just pour slightly differently (staying half an inch away from the filter, so it doesn't extract through the sides.)

As for the kone, i've heard some varying things about it. i'm not sure if i want to invest in one until i try it out, so i might try it out at the intelli lab when i get a chance.

Are you saying the entire brew time should be 2:30 including bloom time? I wrote the times in literal step by step times, so the entire process would take 2:30 from when i first pour the water to bloom to when i stop the process at 420 grams.

noo, 2:30 for extraction. Chemex tend to use thicker filters than pour overs, so you might want to run more time with it; not only that, your dealing with larger proportions of water and grounds (the measurements you laid out were for a single cup right? Kinda big if you ask me). What im saying is that you might want to try out this timing, to see if it makes any difference, but thats how i would go about it. My basis for this idea derives from doing V60 pourovers.

Sightglass:

325g of Hot water (200-210F)

22g Beans

Timing Proximity (2:00 - 2:30)

Barefoot:

350g of Hot water (Temp probably around the same)

22g Beans

Timing Proximity (Roughly the same)

Edited by YaFlatHead

yeah, i see what you mean. i learned my method from the trainer at the intelligentsia lab, but i'm open to trying other methods and timings. i generally try to pour so the water from the kettle drops straight down, but i do see myself pouring a little fast occasionally. i'll have to time myself better doing it to see if my times i posted are accurate or not.

awesome that you mentioned barefoot, it was one of the first places i went to where i saw coffee being made differently. what do you think of their brew method? i see that they agitate the beans by stirring them a little after the bloom and after pour time. i wasn't too impressed last time i went to try their espresso though. it was odd that they didn't evenly distribute the grounds, but rather dosed out, and then tamped right away. they were extremely rigid their descriptions of their espressos, with an exact 22 second brew time for their papua new guinea peaberry espresso, which wouldn't really allow for fluctuations in grind from temperature change and other variables.