coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

if you like it, buy it...but thats pretty fucking expensive for what it is.

was just gonna say...$20/lb for garage roasted coffee is expensive...you can buy auction lots single origin coffee roasted by professionals for $14-17/lb (ok...340g but still) I'm talking cup of excellence quality beans and shit...

Anyone on here brew on the clever at all? I've used every brew method imaginable and still find this one hard to beat when it comes to clarity of flavor and complexity, affordable too

Edited by GregoryH

anyone have experience with the porlex mini grinder?

PORLEX_GRINDER_2_300.jpg

I have a skerton but the beans pop out everywhere when I get down to the last cranks. This closed lid style seems nice. Maybe also an improvement for finer grinds?

also this looks pretty amazing zassenhaus turkish mill

I have one. It works well and I use it regularly. But do not expect the burr grinder quality.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what Stumptown did with their bottled coffee:

cold-brew-coffee-20110323-115243.jpg

This is what Blue Bottle did:

Bottles_1-600x520.jpg

That's a serious loss on BB's part.

^^ wow that's a super weird - why would bb do that? any info on what kind of plastic the bottle is made of?

though the new orleans is quite a departure from what i normally drink, it's some of the best ice coffee i've ever tasted. i was totally hooked.

anyone into roasted chicory in their coffee? it works well even if you're not going for a new orleans style - i toss some in (chemex) whenever i'm feeling saucy, or usually when i have a kenya or el salvador on hand. natural sweetness - really brings out those high notes and bright flavors.

Edited by mapz

They probably did it because they suck?

I dislike everything from their cafes to their branding to their coffee.

haha nice. don't get me wrong, the plastic bottle is the wrong move, and could be indicative to a larger problem. i see what you're saying on the branding - looks like that could be stocked at a 7-11. i've only been to their williamsburg location - so i can't really weigh in on the state of its cafes. drip and espresso were fine in my book, though.

Edited by mapz

Don't diss 7-Eleven. There's no drink sold at 7-Eleven that's as offensive (design-wise) as those BB iced coffees.

In NorCal until the first. Where can I grab some good beans in SF or sac area? I was going to go to blue bottle but after some hate I'll consider other options.

Hit me up, i'll take you. I'm leaving town friday morning, so it has to be today or tomorrow! (preferably today)

having this for the past 2 weeks from caffe fresco. They roast on the day it ships and I received the beans in 2 days.

10mkjdk.jpg

Ambrosia espresso blend in hario mini mill grinder

fylw84.jpg

Hario mini mill set at "12 clicks" for coarser grind. Working it.

29a52u.jpg

heres how the grind looks set at 12 clicks. Not that consistent at coarser grind but it works. Grinds look better at 10 clicks but even more dusting.

20jfg91.jpg

2 weeks in to the beans and it still blooms like crazy. I usually add half the water, let it bloom and add the rest. Then i press the plunger half way so the grinds are fully submerged.

ojjl36.jpg

ignore the dumbass cup that i found in the kitchen

6f58na.jpg

honestly I couldnt taste the difference from 2 days after roasting and now 2 weeks later. Tastes exactly the same from the day I got it.

anyone have the breville smart grinder? I have a $50 gc for macys and it looks like the breville is the only decent grinder there.

anyone have the breville smart grinder? I have a $50 gc for macys and it looks like the breville is the only decent grinder there.

I had this grinder for 4 years before i got my baratza virtuoso. I loved it and it worked perfectly every time, it's now in use in the secret cafe of SELA being used on a daily basis. Amazing that people buy hand grinders for as much as they do and not just buy the Breville burr grinder instead.

Ok, la colombe wins.

ware 2 kop in bay area? I know it's not available, but i can't wait till all these iced coffees get better distro.

They probably did it because they suck? I dislike everything from their cafes to their branding to their coffee.

whoa where's the beef coming from? kind of unusual for you to diss a company you've done any kind of work with, no? (at least i think they did a blend for you before?)

btw i made my brother get me a baratza maestro plus for xmas and it works a treat. currently batting is one of the aida batlle blue bottle roasts. i wish i lived in a place where i could throw stones at blue bottle,

also i just found out that a dude who works with me is aleco chigounis' brother in law.

whoa where's the beef coming from? kind of unusual for you to diss a company you've done any kind of work with, no? (at least i think they did a blend for you before?)

btw i made my brother get me a baratza maestro plus for xmas and it works a treat. currently batting is one of the aida batlle blue bottle roasts. i wish i lived in a place where i could throw stones at blue bottle,

also i just found out that a dude who works with me is aleco chigounis' brother in law.

i have no connection with blue bottle, that "self edge blend" was done by a roaster of theirs that was a big fan of what we do, i had nothing to do with it. that doesn't change how i feel about them.

we down with four barrel and sightglass, from their coffee to their employees & direction. sounds like a turf war, but when you break it down this far, what isn't?

had a laugh at this gimmick doma is pulling. i want to cop some so i can tell everyone i just picked up a pound of chronic. but you'd think given the name it would at least be single origin? nope.

mBlss.jpg

cheesy description here: http://domacoffee.co...?id=745&secid=5

Ok, la colombe wins.

ware 2 kop in bay area? I know it's not available, but i can't wait till all these iced coffees get better distro.

Yeah, I think La Colombe has pretty distinct branding.

IMLE, their coffee is roasted pretty dark, so it probably doesn't appeal to the coffee geek who appreciates subtle flavor notes. Nice bottle though... I similarly picked up a bar of chocolate there out of curiosity due to packaging.

had a laugh at this gimmick doma is pulling. i want to cop some so i can tell everyone i just picked up a pound of chronic. but you'd think given the name it would at least be single origin? nope.

cheesy description here: http://domacoffee.co...?id=745&secid=5

haha that is pretty cheesy.

• 2 weeks later...

just kopped some coffee from deep cello www.deepcello.com

12oz of nostromo for 13 and 3 samples of 5-8oz beans for $3 each. use JDT11 for 10% off order.

came out to $23.70 shipped

I had this grinder for 4 years before i got my baratza virtuoso. I loved it and it worked perfectly every time, it's now in use in the secret cafe of SELA being used on a daily basis. Amazing that people buy hand grinders for as much as they do and not just buy the Breville burr grinder instead.

Can I ask why you switched? Do you consider the Virtuoso an upgrade? They both cost the same price and the Smart Grinder has more features. I've read that the grind quality really isn't much different between them, so all that's really left is build quality. I was also under the impression from reading a number of reviews that the smart grinder is new on the scene, but you say you've had it for over 4 years. I can't find anyone talking about it before late 2010.

I'm interested in buying a grinder at this price level.

Edited by eNonsense

Can I ask why you switched? Do you consider the Virtuoso an upgrade? They both cost the same price and the Smart Grinder has more features. I've read that the grind quality really isn't much different between them, so all that's really left is build quality. I was also under the impression from reading a number of reviews that the smart grinder is new on the scene, but you say you've had it for over 4 years. I can't find anyone talking about it before late 2010.

I'm interested in buying a grinder at this price level.

Sorry, this was my mistake. I did not have the smart grinder before the baratza, i had the cheaper Breville grinder that retails for only $100.

why you SF coffee heads not talking about Ritual

far superior to Blue Bottle...amazing amazing coffee, great cafes

we are pulling sweet tooth from Ritual at my cafe on the regular, beautiful spro, Ritual and Sightglass were my favorite stops when I did my SF coffee crawl

edit: also if you are considering purchasing the baratza, do it..you won't regret it, their customer service is amazing as well if you run into any issues.

side note, some recent pours/lame collage of the shit i do daily

sz79yq.jpg

Edited by GregoryH

Yo, ritual kills blue bottle on every level, i don't think anybody tried to say BB was better than ritual.

(full disclosure, my wife's cousin manages the ritual hayes valley spot)

Yo, ritual kills blue bottle on every level, i don't think anybody tried to say BB was better than ritual.

(full disclosure, my wife's cousin manages the ritual hayes valley spot)

love that spot! kiosk type cafes like that are always great.

I wasn't trying to state that anyone was claiming blue was better than ritual, just stating so myself haha just surprised that nobody had really mentioned ritual yet

Anybody going to the cc event in la in two weeks? is it all hype?