coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

Glad you guys liked the video(s). We have a lot of creative friends and the Singularities series was a fun way to highlight what they do and what makes them tick.

Happy Hooligan, this actually raises an interesting discussion. I think that Coffee Foundry's archaic backyard roasting is something that coffee professionals would frown upon, but the results they get from such a manual process is undeniable. I think on boards like Superfuture, where people are interested in process and technique, the fact that two guys are serving backyard roasted coffee in an expensive shop in the West Village is intriguing; but to a roaster who dropped tens of thousands on a vintage Probat roaster, they would probably look upon this kind of setup as ghetto.

Glad you guys liked the video(s). We have a lot of creative friends and the Singularities series was a fun way to highlight what they do and what makes them tick.

Happy Hooligan, this actually raises an interesting discussion. I think that Coffee Foundry's archaic backyard roasting is something that coffee professionals would frown upon, but the results they get from such a manual process is undeniable. I think on boards like Superfuture, where people are interested in process and technique, the fact that two guys are serving backyard roasted coffee in an expensive shop in the West Village is intriguing; but to a roaster who dropped tens of thousands on a vintage Probat roaster, they would probably look upon this kind of setup as ghetto.

On just the technique it's very "backwoodsy" but fancy bars serve moonshine too.

It's like finely crafted made at home denim... if it's good it doesn't matter how or who made it.

the fact that two guys are serving backyard roasted coffee in an expensive shop in the West Village is intriguing; but to a roaster who dropped tens of thousands on a vintage Probat roaster, they would probably look upon this kind of setup as ghetto.

Ghetto or not, it produces good results and thats all that matters. Slow, manual processes usually produces a better product.

Pretty much anywhere. I'll try anywhere a few times. My wife likes Stumptown, so I buy from there consistently, its close by and the people there are nice.

Recently:

Coava

Stumptown

Gimmee - bought it from whole foods, surprised how much I liked it.

Dallis

Bourbon - garbage btw

Porto Rico

Ecco from Joe

will try the Coffee Foundry and Blue Bottle eventually.

FYI Dallis has a monthly tour of their roasting plant in Queens for 10 bucks and includes a lb of coffee. SUFU Meetup?

Drinking coffee from Gimme beans I bought at whole foods right now because I was lazy, but I usually buy mine from Grumpy. I should probably try Stumptown's sometime. I like them a lot but I haven't bought coffee from them. I like that they give you a free coffee when you buy the beans.

Haven't been to blue bottle in a minute, but do they sell beans there? I remember the iced coffee I got from them last summer as being my favorite iced coffee of all time ever. Would buy those beans right away if they sold em there (even though it's also due to all dem fancy coffee stuff they have as well, but mehhhhh.

photoon20110312at1543.jpg

got a free bag of Burundi Mwurire light roast from my work, it is so delicious and juicy, first thing in the morning made in a french press.

some tasting notes from the roaster: "intensely sweet nose of strawberries and cherries as well as displaying aromas of vanilla and coconut. It holds a rich creamy mouth feel and sparklingly clean acidity that carries flavours of sweet tangy plums, strawberries and apricots."

for the nyc folk, what are your favorite spots for getting coffee/beans?

Only been to Stumptown and Grumpy. Preferred everything at Grumpy, better aesthetics, more dilligent baristas, better cap and better coffee. Also the flight at grumpy is an awesome menu feature that I wish more places did.

I didn't love the coffee at stumptown, it was decent but I should have gotten the chemex for a better tasting... didnt notice that was an option till after. Also it feels like J. Crew in there.

E: Fooks get some Honduran from Grumpy... fucking amazing crazy flavor, seriously one of the best coffees I've had in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago – I'm an Intelligentsia lover, but Metropolis takes a close second.

Anyways – has anybody experimented with an Aeropress? Made my first cup this morning using the standard recipe, glorious!

But I came across this tidbit that claims superior alternate means. What do you guys think? http://coffeecollective.blogspot.com/2010/01/updated-aeropress-brewing-method.html

Chicago – I'm an Intelligentsia lover, but Metropolis takes a close second.

Anyways – has anybody experimented with an Aeropress? Made my first cup this morning using the standard recipe, glorious!

But I came across this tidbit that claims superior alternate means. What do you guys think? http://coffeecollective.blogspot.com/2010/01/updated-aeropress-brewing-method.html

Yeah, I've got one and have been doing the inverted method for a couple months now. It's usually my go-to brewing method on a regular basis just because it's pretty easy to do and quick clean up. On the weekends I'll do a french press, but aeropress during the week because it's quick and easy.

Actually, I was reading a few pages ago, and somebody posted a video how-to.

I am very enthused, as there are slow days when I don't want to brew a full 2-3 cups, and just want a single mug of great coffee. Aeropress will probably be my new default brew. I'm also liking the lack of 'thick' mouthfeel towards the end of a mug.

^Pretty wicked designs...

Just had this "Dutch" coffee at my local gourmet roaster. Cold water is dripped very slowly through grounds for ~22 hours and the collected coffee served chilled. Some Panamanian single origin, tasted almost like a coffee liqueur; almost as creamy, much less sweet, nice and strong! Interesting style on a hot day. I'll be grabbing another one next time it's so hot.

img0192ad.jpg

img0193da.jpg

cold brewed coffee ain't no joke. the easy way to do it at home is:

coarse/french press grind your coffee

use a ratio of 1 part grounds to 4 parts water

soak in glass container for 12-16 hours overnight

strain

it is highly recommended to dilute the remaining liquid, usually a ratio of 1 part water to 1 part cold brew coffee

get twisted

seriously, the coffee has such a smooth taste, but is very potent. great for summer.

I got a job as a barista four months ago and I cannot drink anything else but what we have at my work. We serve ritual coffee and my manager went to barista school in Seattle, so she taught me everything when it comes to steaming the milk at the perfect temperature and pulling the shots at JUST the right taste. She definitely knows her stuff and thanks to her, I'm high maintenance hehe. We also french press and I can drink any of their coffee black and I didn't think I could ever do that since I NEVER drank coffee before I got the job. Now I can't go to starbuck's or peet's or anything else cuz they're def not good enough.Lemme just say, I think Ritual Coffee is the best of the west

I got a job as a barista four months ago and I cannot drink anything else but what we have at my work. We serve ritual coffee and my manager went to barista school in Seattle, so she taught me everything when it comes to steaming the milk at the perfect temperature and pulling the shots at JUST the right taste. She definitely knows her stuff and thanks to her, I'm high maintenance hehe. We also french press and I can drink any of their coffee black and I didn't think I could ever do that since I NEVER drank coffee before I got the job. Now I can't go to starbuck's or peet's or anything else cuz they're def not good enough.Lemme just say, I think Ritual Coffee is the best of the west

Welcome to superfuture, you are at pretentious level +3.

anyone in PDX, I just moved here and went to college in Chicago last year so I don't really know what is good around here. Stumptown is okay (at least I don't have to potentially wait through a Siberian winter for a mocha *cough* Inteligentsia *cough*), but I am looking for something that is a little darker and more...bitter, I guess?