TOP 5 Magazines

antdj

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like no one's even mentioned the ONLY good mag that exists: WIRED.

anyone that mentioned COMPLEX is a complete goof. sorry, can you whore out what was once good any harder? the 25 most important now companies, are you serious? never seen dudes suck cock so hard, dudes that you know like chicks off the clock... the "skate" look? oh my god, their holiday buyer's guide is just hideous... if you want to talk about worse than that, we can talk about VICE....

every other mag is just a bunch of coked out fools, or people trying to be down funding their mags on daddy's wallet/trust fund.

the current magazine status is sorry. RELAX might be cool if i could read japanese. maybe i have to resort to that... learning japanese that is.

I AM LEISURE.

oh yeah, add VAPORS to the WORST OF THE WORST list. they should get together with metropop and hire a copy editor. not to mention i saw an issue where the editor put an interview with himself in the mag. are you fucking serious? who the fuck are you? and please at least spend the cash on drumscanning the photos for your mag instead of going to japan for the new medicom release.... priorities.

for real though, all these magazines starting up because of greedy wannabe editors wanting free shit just need to stop. please. horrendous.

I AM LEISURE.

since u've bitched so much just thought I'd let you know that RELAX is nothing but a typical Japanese trend hopping magazine meant for the brainless "young & hip" consumers that hangout in Harajuku 24/7. Only thing different is, better art direction and design.

I hate everything and everyone.

okay you can hate on vapors. i admit the content is definitely lacking, especially since the redesign (and being bought out i think) two issues ago. but it used to be decent. . .its not really new. beautifiul decay is a good one, they have an activist-themed issue comin out any minute.

"my attention spans galaxies. . ." saul williams

thank you corrosion.... i could tell by your posts that you are a wise human being....... yes, it is fun having a few drinks, banging some MOP though the headphones and posting on internet message boards at night... but not as fun as lounging in the hot tub with drinks and listening to jimmy buffet all day..........

the bird has been set free...... but not after running full speed into three windows trying to get out of the house..........

i do have to say i quite enjoy MASS APPEAL as well, doesn't try too hard, and that's mostly because it's put together by people that are in the scene, not trying to be down with it....

ok, i should get out and try to skate today....

I AM LEISURE.

Top Five:

HUGE Magazine- Far surpasses Relax as the best mag to come out of Japan.

Arktip

Lodown- Always on point.

Complex- For a mostly product magazine it's pretty good. They're more on top of things that most other people.

The Skateboard Mag- Best skate magazine out, both in content and design

Tokion: an honorable mention. Still interesting and well designed.

Worst:

While You Were Sleeping- Maybe the worst magazien ever made...consistently

Mass Appeal- A complete joke to anyone you is even slightly in the know about anything. Thanks for being super inconsistent from issue to issue and telling me about products that came out three months ago.

Fader- Used to be good, but fell off really hard.

Elemental- Not sure if it makes this list but its close.

Print Magazine- A bunch of bullshit about nothing...Just buy I.D. instead

i have to greatly disagree with por vida on the mass appeal mention.... and if you're looking at magazines simply for product you're... well... let's just say that's not what i look at them for... complex is awesome if you need a magazine to tell you how to tie your shoes or to let you know that von dutch truckers aren't cool..... rocket science.... tokion is good though. forgot about tokion..... WYWS is definitely the worst, yes.....

I AM LEISURE.

i can concede complex as not being in teh top five but I think it is still one of the better magazines in the genre. You dont have to look at product magazines as something telling you what to buy but just to see whats out there. Sometimes when you are working the business its an easy way to see what other people are doing...good or bad. I hope I have enough experience in the "cool guy" clothing scene that I can make clothing decisions for myself.

I can't concede Mass Appeal though. The content was pretty interesting when Alife was running shop but since then it has just gone downhill. It seems like they are always two or three months behing the game on stories and features. Maybe people in the mid-west or canada dont notice but I feel that they have lost a lot of respect in the major cities. They are always flipflopping on what is "cool" to them. I liek magazine that are trying to inform me and not listen to what the public wants and then trun aroudn and write about it. Don't publish artists in a bunch of issues, then when they don't want to do a feature for you, write and whole article about hwo they don't belong in your magazine. For someone who is involved in te art/clothing scene somewhat 90% of what they report on is already common knowledge.