mizanation

jazz saved my life?

More of a Jazz Fusion, but the Soiled Mattress & The Springs are pretty good.

thanks, but i'm guessing you've never heard any of the records i mentioned. though on the contempo non-shredding guitar tip the necks (from australia) are pretty hot.

in the same class of 70s brain-jazz with conceptual artwork:

b4a543d8f67f0c46394e85b4bfe070c9.png

(there's a UNIQLO tshirt with the same triangle too)

(I probably posted this earlier in the thread and forgot)

and this is really good:

a79daffac229eb167c8af613a8f47830.png

resurrecting this. any jazz pianists here?

lately i've been really into:

B000000Y87.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm a big fan of Bill, I used to think this ^ was his best live record but then I heard Live in Switzerland 1975.

Have you heard the Paris Concert?

did anyone else buy a ticket to see Return to Forever this summer? i did!

been listening to a lot of Pharoah Sanders and Albert Ayler these days

I'm a big fan of Bill, I used to think this ^ was his best live record but then I heard Live in Switzerland 1975.

Have you heard the Paris Concert?

i dunno about paris, but the tokyo concert was beautiful. really dig T.T.T.T.

sonny rollins will be in town at the end of the month. i'm not going to miss it for the world...

just re-heard brad mehldau on a car stereo last night. damn, his piano really talks to larry grenadier's bass.

My friend lent me his apartment in Paris last month, and the first thing I did was to put on the first vinyl on the stack; it turned out to be Coltrane, a 17 minute version of 'My Favorite Things' and it was sooooo good, so much overwhelming joy, I should listen to more Coltrane.

just saw sonny rollins tonight. it wasn't life-changing and tended towards what might very loosely be termed as "world music", but four things stood out...sonny's tone, the ride patterns of jerome jennings on drums, the congas and bob cranshaw's bass solos.

sonny's tone is really sweet on slower tunes, really mellow and so much control, but the way he sustains his vibratos so consistently is really an inspiration. back to the slow vibrato exercises on the violin...

I went to this Q&A with Sonny Rollins a month or two ago, great personality and insight into jazz. I hope to catch him perform before he croaks. Hah.

I really want to see Sonny Rollins, Pharaoh Sanders and Yusef Lateef while they're still blowing hornz!

KangTaeHwan-KoreanFreeJazz.jpg

digging kang tae hwan's album isaiah

other stuff (random):

tony malaby

ornette coleman

dexter gordon

vinny golia

john zorn

anthony braxton

art tatum

fats waller

lee morgan

---

skalpel

tartar lamb

i have eaten the city

jaga jazzist

that one or isaiah? korean free jazz is so great, i need an original super bad. the solo chap chap cd is pretty hot too. not feeling vinny golia though - if anyone needs some early nine winds lp action for cheap, holllaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You want some killer Corean jazz, it's all about trumpet player Choi Sun Bae for me. I haven't heard his new solo album yet on Alfred Harth's label but I've got high hopes.

edit: just did a moment's research, looks like Harth put out a album built entirely as a remix of Kang's "Seven Breath" in this batch too. I can't tell if that sounds like an awesome or disasterous concept.

yeah, choi was in kang's seoul free music trio - they have a track on that korean free jazz lp (properly, korean free music as per original release). they were the first korean free jazz/improv group ever and about as well documented as the almost mythological now music from japan.

but the greatest ever korean free musician is mototeru takagi. man that guy was so unbelievably on fire.

I really want to see Sonny Rollins, Pharaoh Sanders and Yusef Lateef while they're still blowing hornz!

must be a shitty feeling to see your colleagues dying one after another...time's up kinda thing

some stuff that floats my boat...

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Theme de Yoyo

Pharoah Saunders - anything

Alice Coltrane - anything

Lateef - Love theme from Spartacus

Herbie Hancock - Nobu album, live and solo on synths in Japan.... electronica almost...

speaking of,

Carl Craig has done some stuff that to me is jazz... under his 69 moniker - Desire...also, Kaotic Harmony is pure electronic jazz.

omg Korean free jazz?!? I need to check this out.

must be a shitty feeling to see your colleagues dying one after another...time's up kinda thing

Eddie Harris used to go on about all the sax players dying, like it was some kind of curse...

impeccable taste Kelvin1000 :)

5ace45cfb70fd1205dff32b6542e9816.png

death jazz!?

you should really dig into the art ensemble more, one of the greatest jazz groups ever. theme de yoyo was a complete one-off for them, but if you liked it try bap-ti-zum.

i'm not crazy about carl craig but "bug in the bassbin" is pretty hot. there was a mix of that on the mo wax reissue cd which was straight up jazz

(edit: meant bap-ti-zum, not fanfare for the warriors though the latter is excellent as well)

Theme De Yoyo is definitely a great track. That whole Les Stances A Sophie album rocks. As does the other disc Fontella Bass sang on.

But my favorite Art Ensemble album is probably People in Sorrow.

i forgot to mention that i've only seen sonny rollins once (free show behind lincoln center) - he is notorious for his inconsistency but he was untouchable that night. definitely worth a shot and if you can get someone to pay for it, more so's the better.

go home is the only one of the paris records i really rate that much though i haven't heard stances or people in their entirety (really long story). for my money their best period was when they came back to the us through the mid 70s (kabalaba). btw i actually meant to recommend bap-ti-zum instead of fanfare above but they're both pretty great.

5ace45cfb70fd1205dff32b6542e9816.png

death jazz!?

soil n pimp sessions is killer shit. the frontman is the "agitator" and there is so much, so much energy about their performances.

i disagree with the term death jazz, if death was so fun and funny....i would smash

best go to record for a saturday breakfast of minced mushrooms + blood pudding butterbrot sandwiches and a bottle of chianti...

cpe20012.gif