jazz saved my life?

mizanation

I'm not a huge jazz guy, but I thought I would throw this out there.

I'm taking a class with Nathan Davis right now (miles' brother) and its basically the coolest thing ever. The entire class consists of him telling stories that start off with *imagine nathan davis smoky voice*, "so one time... in paris... me and (miles/duke ellington/coltrane) were smoking weed..."

Needless to say its the coolest class ever.

thorns, what are you studying?

trying to get a new pickup for my violin since the jack on the old one gives me a mild electric shock when i touch it. i'm not ever buying fishman anymore...

bitches.

that said, i've just seen the most amazing instrument play jazz. 12 string warr guitar, with 6 bass strings and 6 guitar strings, played touchstyle with both hands, the left hand holding the bassline and the right the melody. it is incredibly mindblowing just to watch, much less listen. :)

• 4 weeks later...
cds picked up today...

517E4W22S9L._AA240_.jpg

Sorry for bumpin an old thread. Just have to say if you bought the remaster it has the extra tracks. One stand out is Impressions, of course. It's probably one of the best interpetations of it. Wes fucking kills it. Its so amazing that I have to listen to that at least once everyday just to let it soak in. Awesome pick-ups.

Sorry for bumpin an old thread. Just have to say if you bought the remaster it has the extra tracks. One stand out is Impressions, of course. It's probably one of the best interpetations of it. Wes fucking kills it. Its so amazing that I have to listen to that at least once everyday just to let it soak in. Awesome pick-ups.

hehe, i think i do have the remaster. i've been listening to coltrane live at newport [specifically my favourite things, no surprises] the last few days though so that is really taking up space in my ears at the moment :o

haven't bought much recently...coleslawyum post a picture of your record collection!

Yep, I play in my school's jazz ensemble...we play a varietyf big band styles, including shuffles, swings, latins, and ballads. We finished third in state last year only behind Folsom, and Berkely so Im looking foward to this year...

Currently taking lessons with this guy..

coleslawyum post a picture of your record collection!

If I still collected records (or even own them) I would love to show some gems. But since I have all my CD's in some Case Logic contraption, it would be pretty boring to show a picture of that. But I've been listening to the entire Lee Morgan Blue Note catalog recently. (that's a lot of hard bop trumpet. don't know how much longer I can stand it, but still awesome shit!)

Here's some favorites that I listen at least once a day:

First Meditations, John Coltrane Quartet

New Orleans Suite, Duke Ellington Orchestra

Miles Davis / Gil Evans box set

not sure if this has been posted anywhere before, but it's so good i wanted to share it with you guys:

flash animation + aki + coltrane's giant steps

http://www.michalevy.com/giantsteps_download

this is some insane shit!

the construction evokes the musical lines really well. i love it especially when trane plays larger intervals--the almost-random mushrooming of boxes captures the harmonic space wonderfully.

oh shit that just reminded me, I dunno if this has been posted already in this thread, but if not, this video is a must see!!

Japanese hoover robot playing giant steps!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjONQNUU8Fg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjONQNUU8Fg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>