jazz saved my life?

mizanation

Wow... Never really clicked on this thread before. Can't believe the amount of info that I've missed out on. Plenty of reading up to do.

Wouldn't call myself a musician by any stretch of the imagination although I do plonk out the Martin once in a while. More into blues than jazz but it's a very fine line. A good recording of either genre brings a tingle to my spine. That's what I love about these, you might 'stray' out once in a while, listen to something different etc but the moment you put on THAT particular song/tune, you can't help but smile to yourself.

Great fan of Miles, got 2 pictures of him up in my room. Personally, I think the alternate version of Flamenco Sketches on the Kind of Blue album is perfection. Everything was just in place. Even when Bill Evans missed his cue and stumbled into his solo adds character to the recording.

Recently went to a Shakti concert here. Man... what a night. Musical bliss throughout. To see and hear such accomplished musicians playing live in front of you is such an honour and humbling at the same time. The best part was seeing just how tight the band is, how they were joking throughout the show and the camaraderie.

Just something I'd like to share. One of my most prized possessions.

Trio2.jpg

Trio1.jpg

Shakti.jpg

Got Al DiMeola's signature a few years ago. John McLaughlin's and the member of Shakti's were at the aforementioned concert. Now I just need to get Paco's signature and the trio will be complete... :-)

^^ Don't really hear much because most of the time there isn't much to say in the first place... ;-)

Honestly, international jazz acts hardly ever drop by and even if they do, tickets for the concerts would be expensive. Jazz/Blues clubs are severely lacking in quantity and more importantly quality although it has gotten much better. That's the part I miss most about living overseas, I..need..my...live...gigs...

^^ Yeah man... The scene down there is much, much better. The acts that drop over there to play, I gotta admit, do make me jealous sometimes. But to jet over for a gig just for the weekend, hmmm... give me a few more decades before I can afford that kind of lifestyle... ;-)

• 1 month later...

just caught a big band on monday night at a bar here playing some very modern sounding stuff, all originals except for a re-arranged satin doll (which i didn't hear, damn). pad-dy sort of sound, very driving writing, with the time signatures making way for the grooves. refreshing sort of sound compared to your usual swinging band. some of it could well have been pat metheny compositions, only arranged to great effect for a full band.

can someone help me with choosing chet baker records?

i don't know where to start despite consulting a jazz encyclopedia

i trust y'all more on this kind of thing

i can help you, diddy!!!

chet baker is one of my all time favorites.

my first suggestion is "the best of chet baker sings"

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Chet-Baker-Sings/dp/B000005HFH

of course, this showcases his singing. you will enjoy this.

however, as a pure trumpet player, he was really a genius. most people don't know that he could really play some mean horn. my favorite chet baker album of him just playing trumpet is this one:

the italian sessions:

http://www.amazon.com/Italian-Sessions-Chet-Baker/dp/B000003G56

it also goes by this name:

"somewhere over the rainbow"

http://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-over-Rainbow-Chet-Baker/dp/B000002WGR

but i would get the italian sessions since they include two additional tracks.

my third suggestion is this one:

baby breeze

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Breeze-Chet-Baker/dp/B00000HXFL/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9205323-9988930?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1187802846&sr=1-1

some of his very best playing.

enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how the fuck did I miss this thread. Some of you guys have great tastes in Jazz. As for me, I currently play in a high school big band as a bassis...fucking Folsom High School wins pretty much every year during Festival Season. Ranked #2 last year in the Bay Area.. Couple tunes were working on:

John Coltrane- Impressions

Miles Davis- All Blues

Sammy Nestico- Hava nice day

Fred Strum- Skyhawk

Dizzy Gillespie- Salt Peanuts

Lester Young- Lester leaps in

John Fedchock- Up & Running

Sammy Nestico- Pressure Cooker

Sammy Nestico- The Blues Machine

Gordon Goodwind- Swingin' For The Fences

Recently started some Keith Jarrett. Listening to the Koln Concert right now (I can't believe I slept on this.) Man this motherfucker has some serious chops. Granted he's a giant NERD. But he can play his ass off.

I can see where all these Windham Hill new age jerk offs bit their stuff from. But he's got great command of the blues, classical, folk, whatever. His playing is surprisingly soulful. Gonna check out some more of his shit. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I'm not a huge jazz guy, but I thought I would throw this out there.

I'm taking a class with Nathan Davis right now (miles' brother) and its basically the coolest thing ever. The entire class consists of him telling stories that start off with *imagine nathan davis smoky voice*, "so one time... in paris... me and (miles/duke ellington/coltrane) were smoking weed..."

Needless to say its the coolest class ever.