jazz saved my life?

mizanation

I also really got into the fusion thing. Billy Cobhams "Spectrum" with Tommy Bolin on Guitar. Even earlier Alphonse Mouzon "Mind Transplant" also Tommy Bolin again.

Jeff Beck.

John McLaughlin

Al Di Meola

Theres a killer live cut on the Jazz great Tony Williams "Joy of Flying" with Ronnie Montrose on Guitar of Ronnies "Open Fire" WHOA this cut is amazing.

But if you're really into Guitar I highly suggest you checking out some of that early fusion stuff with Tommy Bolin. Its truly great.

Some of my recommendations:

"House that Trane Built"... Amazing, cost me $45 but well worth it

Fareed Haque ~ "Cosmic Hug" (eastern stylings of sitar and tabla mixed with jazz - yes there is jazz "sitar")

Miles Davis ~ "The Complete Birth of Cool" (classic and a necessity

Marc Ribot ~ "Spiritual Unity" (free-jazz from one of Tom Wait's right hand men)

Dave Brubeck ~ "Take Five" on LP (I used to sleep to this as a kid...)

kind of blue- first jazz cd i ever listened to "So what"

I don't think I'll ever get sick of that record. There's some pretty good footage on youtube of them playing with close-ups and everything. It's pretty cool recognizing the similarities between the two versions.

Recently I got the Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet cd which on the last track "I Know" features Miles Davis on piano :)

also, I'm in love with the Zoot Sims Quartet - That Old Feeling

and would highly suggest the Jimi Hendrix Blues cd to absolutely anyone. great transitioning cd

i was reading the Kind of Blue liner notes by bill evans the other day with additional notes by robert palmer, and the comments about the modal steps being a "return" to melodic improvisation rather than harmonic trickery reminded me of stuff to try out.

how many people here play jazz? miz, blackplatano, choice genes...

edit: quote from the palmer notes on kind of blue--

'Originally, the idea for this kind of playing [modal vamps] was the concept of composer George Russell, but his program for "modal jazz" came imbedded in an elaborate, all-embracing musical/philosophical theory, the "Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organisation". Miles saw the approach, at least in part, as a way of drastically simplifying modern jazz, which was then pushing against the outer limits of chordal complexity.

"The music has gotten thick," Davis complained in a 1958 interview for The Jazz Review. "Guys give me tunes and they're full of chords. I can't play them... I think a movement in jazz is beginning away from the conventional string of chords, and a return to emphasis on melodic rather than harmonic variation. There will be fewer chords but infinite possibilities as to what to do with them." Technical though it may seem to nonmusicians, Davis' statement can be reduced to a single, simple proposition: a return to melody. Kind of Blue is, in a sense, all melody--and atmosphere.'

would any of the musicians here like to comment on this...is this a valid point? do your own experiences bear this out?

Roy Haynes made me start playing drums seriously, didnt save my life, but kinda started it I guess. I've stopped playing when I started to go to music school though (go figure) but I plan on starting more seriously again when I go back home in two weeks, it's been more than a year off :'(

Miz, I completely agree with you on Roy Hargrove (had the chance to hang out a bit too) and Pat Metheny. I'm super jealous of you meeting Max Roach though!!

Roy Haynes made me start playing drums seriously, didnt save my life, but kinda started it I guess. I've stopped playing when I started to go to music school though (go figure) but I plan on starting more seriously again when I go back home in two weeks, it's been more than a year off :'(

Miz, I completely agree with you on Roy Hargrove (had the chance to hang out a bit too) and Pat Metheny. I'm super jealous of you meeting Max Roach though!!

roy hanes is great 2000db. his son craig is a cool guy too.

max roach is really chill, fucking cool as hell.

clark terry is the man. got a chance to hang out with him a few times. taught me a lot and is very cool.

also got to chill with john lewis before he died. he was an awesome guy.

Tweedles, hell yes, go see Cobb's band! I missed them when they were here in Houston a couple of years ago but I heard they swung HARD. Plus, he's the only guy left from Kind of Blue. Probably your last chance.

I'd say it depends if he's still in shape or not. Saw Snny Rollins a year or two back and he sucked, he just wasnt playing. The band was shit too, I've never a whole audiance pissed at a concert. On the other hand, seeing old cats play when they still are able is just amazing.

I don't know much about Jazz but this is what I have on my IPod.

-Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

-Buddy Rich and Max Roach

-Paul Bley, Charles Mingus & Art Blakey

-The Dave Brubeck Quartet

-Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus, Max Roach

It fits right in on shuffle inbetween my more popular music like Sonic Youth, Cat Power, Lightning Bolt and Ghostface.

Digable Planets got me interested in Jazz.

I'd say it depends if he's still in shape or not. Saw Snny Rollins a year or two back and he sucked, he just wasnt playing. The band was shit too, I've never a whole audiance pissed at a concert. On the other hand, seeing old cats play when they still are able is just amazing.

yeah, thing is i have no idea whether or not he's in shape.

jay anderson and bob sheppard are coming too. looks like a decent night all in all.

yeah, thing is i have no idea whether or not he's in shape.

jay anderson and bob sheppard are coming too. looks like a decent night all in all.

Argh, I haven't seen (nor played for that matter) good live jazz for so long! I can't wait for the montreal jazz fest. Last time I had a pass most shows, it was insane!!!