jazz saved my life?

mizanation

i know jazz sucks, but i can't front, i love jazz.

checkin to see if anyone listens to this stuff still.

what i consider jazz is pretty wide open. aside from the usual miles, coltrane, bird, diz, monk, mingus, duke, pops, stuff, i also consider the following to be great jazz:

ltj bukem - journey inwards

bob james - bob james I

and all that good shit.

holler if you hear me.

finally a fellow jazz listener, anyone in the la area listening to 88.1? with ellen yamanaka, i also listen to contemporary jazz and some ryuichi sakamoto works, this isnt related to jazz, but forbidden colours done by david sylvian and sakamoto is fukin awesome

Kenny G:

http://www.johnharle.com/philosophy/articles-philosophy/KennyG.html

Miz - I'm a jazz trumpeter too! Haven't moved to NY yet, but I am planning a holiday there later in the year, it would be great to hook up man. (Funnily enough I've also just started producing hip-hop too).

Haven't been listening to jazz so much over the past couple of years, been getting more and more into hip-hop, and also soul and funk music (old and 'nu'). But shit, it's all derived from jazz anyway.

One of my favourite albums over the past few years has been Hard Groove by Roy Hargrove etc. Great players, great grooves (funky and soulful), and great production values too. The second album (Distractions) is still good, but I'm not digging it so much. It feels a bit more regimented and arranged, whereas the first album felt more like a structured jam session.

I've also just gotten back into the stuff that Miles did with his second quintet (60s, Herbie, Ron, Tony, Wayne). Last time I listened was 5 years ago and I didn't really appreciate it so much. But I'm starting to dig it a bit more now, some really crazy harmonic stuff there.

I wish I listened to more socially acceptable jazz. Im mostly into Avant Jazz such as Sun-Ra, The Chicago Underground duo, Evan Parker, The Chicago Art Ensemble, John Coltrane, Albert Tyler, ect....

But I've been listening to Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk off and on for about a month now.

And then Im into nu-jazz such as DH Krill, Squarepusher (music is a rotted one note) 7 Samurai... pretty much anything on gamm. Yeah.

Guest jmatsu
i know jazz sucks, but i can't front, i love jazz.

checkin to see if anyone listens to this stuff still.

what i consider jazz is pretty wide open. aside from the usual miles, coltrane, bird, diz, monk, mingus, duke, pops, stuff, i also consider the following to be great jazz:

ltj bukem - journey inwards

bob james - bob james I

and all that good shit.

holler if you hear me.

holla x3. holla x3

Kenny G:

http://www.johnharle.com/philosophy/articles-philosophy/KennyG.html

Miz - I'm a jazz trumpeter too! Haven't moved to NY yet, but I am planning a holiday there later in the year, it would be great to hook up man. (Funnily enough I've also just started producing hip-hop too).

Haven't been listening to jazz so much over the past couple of years, been getting more and more into hip-hop, and also soul and funk music (old and 'nu'). But shit, it's all derived from jazz anyway.

One of my favourite albums over the past few years has been Hard Groove by Roy Hargrove etc. Great players, great grooves (funky and soulful), and great production values too. The second album (Distractions) is still good, but I'm not digging it so much. It feels a bit more regimented and arranged, whereas the first album felt more like a structured jam session.

I've also just gotten back into the stuff that Miles did with his second quintet (60s, Herbie, Ron, Tony, Wayne). Last time I listened was 5 years ago and I didn't really appreciate it so much. But I'm starting to dig it a bit more now, some really crazy harmonic stuff there.

awesome man. yeah, i just started picking up my horn again and it feels good, man.

i hung out with roy hargrove. interesting and aloof guy, smoked all my cigarettes. it was crazy when i first came to new york, hanging out with all these guys who were my idols: roy hargrove, max roach, clark terry. roy is probably my favorite modern jazz artist. i can't believe a guy like fucking chris botti gets more props than roy whose a 100 times better. oh well. yeah, when you get into town, hit me up.

*EDIT*

btw, i think pat metheny sounds like a sore loser with his rant on kenny g. most of metheny's music is pretty horrible, in my opinion.

I wish I listened to more socially acceptable jazz. Im mostly into Avant Jazz such as Sun-Ra, The Chicago Underground duo, Evan Parker, The Chicago Art Ensemble, John Coltrane, Albert Tyler, ect....

But I've been listening to Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk off and on for about a month now.

And then Im into nu-jazz such as DH Krill, Squarepusher (music is a rotted one note) 7 Samurai... pretty much anything on gamm. Yeah.

i think the avant garde artist you mentioned are pretty much socially accepted in the new york jazz scene. i will check out the nu-jazz cats you mentioned...

I listen quite a bit. It's funny, now that I'm living in San Francisco (for the time being), jazz just doesn't sound as good as when I was living in New York. It's difficult for me to explain, but in a way it just sounds incongruous.

Anyway, rather than listing the classics that I like (because we all, essentially, listen to the same guys), let me hip you to this young guy I saw a few years ago: Christian Scott. Trumpet player. I'm not an aficianado, so it's difficult for me to articulate what was so special about him. But you could just tell.

His first album, "Rewind That", is pretty good. It's a little too reminiscent of Buckshot LeFonque at times, but overall a really fresh listen. If you had to download one song for a sampler, I'd recommend "So What".

Word.

I wish I listened to more socially acceptable jazz. Im mostly into Avant Jazz such as Sun-Ra, The Chicago Underground duo, Evan Parker, The Chicago Art Ensemble, John Coltrane, Albert Tyler, etc...

That goes for me, too, except I don't care much for 'socially-acceptable jazz'.

The noisier and skronkier and wilder, the better.

A Love Supreme

The live playthrough from France is a beast, it was released

in 2002 methinks? Anyways. Yah.

And now that I am thinking about it, considering how muc of jazz's

history was spent being considered socially unacceptable, whether

because of racial boundaries or societal norms, any sort of jazz that

is enjoyed widely turns me off.

nicola conte!

i dig nicola conte too! and koop, and kyoto jazz massive and...

very fond of the old skool big band stuff too: count basie et al. the vocalese, like kurt elling. the standards singers like ella, louie and stacey kent, and then there's always miles and coltrane, wayne shorter's stuff, dave brubeck stuff...

jazz is so diverse within itself as a genre though. i think much of the hate/misunderstanding comes from the fact that it's been adopted as medium of choice for some of those who play with no heart, and only intellectualised technical abilities. but the best jazz is never without a deep seated expression of human weakness/strength, as it was so from the very genesis of it.

Re Chris Botti - in total agreement, the dude sucks. Flacid jazz, man. It's insane that, while dudes like him are out there makin big money, there are so many players, with so much more talent and originality who still have trouble paying the rent.

Re Metheny - I definitely think it was an overreaction/overstatement. But as far as his playing is concerned, I can dig him. Have you heard the duo album he did with Charlie Hayden? It's not really that ground-breaking or intellectual, but it's beautiful stuff. And I really dug his playing on the Michael Brecker Ballads album. Now that was a damn good album.

Miles had some good shit going for him during some periods. Milestones is an album I've been meaning to get for ages. Anyone seen that gig he did at the Isle of White (I think) in like 1970? It was like a 45 min set; 'call it anything' he said. The dude was fucking ON FIRE at that gig. Some of his best playing IMO (and I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the bitches brew stuff either).