jazz saved my life?

mizanation

I've been experimenting with Jazz lately. Started out with the obvious, Miles Davis (Bitches Brew) and Coltrane (The Classic Quartet). My question is that where do I go from here? Suggestions? I was thinking about checking out some Keith Jarrett and some of Davis' earlier stuff, like Blue in Green. Is this a smart move or should I go else where?

Is anyone able to tell me something about these guys? I contacted the hoster a while ago without any reaction...Would like to know if they got an album or a website. Thanks

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihAypjJID4&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihAypjJID4&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of the many reasons jazz saved my life #297 cool:

sure, there have been stylish musicians since but the jazz greats they were more than just stylish, they were cool.

Miles

0ddGiMjzEg43eqy5TPmHtXuwo1_500.jpg

Jimmy

ncn9UONsUlmbh20k2thhWzOLo1_400.jpg

Louis

GGm3YLLsKln9necq3ITczzfwo1_500.jpg

Art

ncn9UONsUlmbeetgoNETTZNwo1_500.jpg

Bird

ncn9UONsUlmbg3qhB7FGGy2Co1_400.jpg

fuck i love bird, you should stop whatever your doing and go listen again to parker's mood, there is simply no better way to spend 3 minutes of your life.

Charlie Christian.

This guy was was AMAZING. I picked up guitar wanting to learn rock and funk. I was researching the history of the electric guitar and this guy's name popped up as one of the first popular electric guitar players. I wondered what early electric guitar playing sounded like so I downloaded a track he played on and never looked back. Swingingest motherfucker on the planet.

Unfortunately these youtube clips cut the tracks short (they're normally about 6-8mins). Awesome stuff though.

WLz4vYCW97Y

mkyIqYYBX-4

Also, there is an awesome Japanese all-girl (think a dude is on guitar, though) high school jazz band, Big Friendly Jazz Orchestra. They are pretty exceptional. The drummer in this clip has balls. Check jazzmalu's channel for more.

UiKBvjsvCiI

tHJlBcLXMO8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just saw hiromi last night, half the world away, but still mindbending stuff.

tony grey (her bassist) kicking up some really tight basslines, especially over the d'n'b grooves. wasn't too fond of the guitarist, john shannon -- anyone heard of him? from pittsburgh...

hiromi was in fine form. she gets better and better at writing lyrical, impressionist pieces every time i see her show.

• 3 weeks later...

blakey_art~_soulfinge_101b.jpg

I guess a lot of people haven't heard Soul Finger, and it's a damn shame. I suppose the only reason I've heard it is that Art Blakey's nephew is a good friend of mine, and has almost all of Blakey's catalogue in original LP format. I'm fairly certain that the only re-release Soul Finger has seen is on CD for the Japanese market only (the story of my life). While there are tons of great records in this bundle that we've explored together, we keep coming back to Soul Finger because it's such a strange lineup, and it's recorded at such an interesting time. While the soloists are starting to stretch it out and take it further, Art stretches too, but he's still keeping time (and an a very remarkable way). I could say a lot, but the main thing is to hear Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard playing on the same record, sounding so astonishingly different, but perfectly wondrous in their own ways. It's a gem worth searching for. Happy Friday.

I could say a lot, but the main thing is to hear Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard playing on the same record, sounding so astonishingly different, but perfectly wondrous in their own ways.

2 of my all-time faves...

...this unto itself is worth the price of admission... didn't even think that this ever happened...

51yndV%2BjBSL._SS400_.jpg

did diddy just shout about this the last page?

it is currently my regular bus music - enough room to think, yet enough aural input to shut out the rest of the world. and dead, dead funky. sleeping giant - the sole herbie track on the album - is a complex, broad and sweeping 25-minute piece... beautiful.