jazz saved my life?

mizanation

i'll give it up for mclaughlin cos of devotion, tony williams for emergency! and love cry want + obviously past associations but.... oh man.

re: braxton - i didn't just stumble into a nest of wesleyanites did i? i credit ornette with starting the whole "creating one's own self-enclosed (mathematically compact) musical conception using important-sounding made-up jargon" thing (the as yet unpublished harmolodic musical theory). braxton took it a step further by extending his theories into a historiography of music and positioning his work within that continuum. it was a very aacm thing to do, really - no matter how much he tries to distance himself from chicago.

and on that subject has anyone read the george lewis book on the aacm? it sounds really tempting.

• 1 month later...
since were on jazz, anyone likes bossa nova? like milton banana trio, jobim, marcos valle, etc..anyone collects jazz vinyl on MPS? holler if you hear me. xoxox

I love Jobim's The Girl From Ipanema. Chill to the max.

• 1 month later...

just saw kurt elling for the second time this year, at the south bank ctr

completely different and utterly magical. this was a gig based around the beautiful sounds of coltrane and johnny hartman - a series of ballads that kurt took and ran with it, with tight arrangements by lawrence hobgood for his quartet, with benny golson guesting and a string quartet on board.

completely, utterly magical.

after that i got inducted into the "family" of london jazz musicians by a couple of singers. hahaha.

this new material that he's playing (next concert with this stuff should be in the US) is really quite fantastic stuff. hobgood arranged some harmonically and structurally complex work with so many parts involved - and each voice gets a shout, nothing is left to just rot and provide effects - some of the tunes are just 15 minutes of sheer decadence, with strings hitting lush harmonies, band breaking into fast swing and cutting out into empty space, on top of that some sensitive playing by benny golson and the prowess of kurt elling.

listen to this shit and puff on some o.g kush

NXVnXVuj4Ps

Very nice. Totally my cup of tea.

this new material that he's playing (next concert with this stuff should be in the US) is really quite fantastic stuff. hobgood arranged some harmonically and structurally complex work with so many parts involved - and each voice gets a shout, nothing is left to just rot and provide effects - some of the tunes are just 15 minutes of sheer decadence, with strings hitting lush harmonies, band breaking into fast swing and cutting out into empty space, on top of that some sensitive playing by benny golson and the prowess of kurt elling.

I actually didn't know about him and went and searched for him on youtube to see what all your fuss was about. :P

I have to say that I found him to be very good, very melodic voice and extremely good rhythm, which is something that I sometimes find lacking in singers like Jamie Cullum and especially Diana Krall. I'm gonna go get some of his stuff to listen to. :)

haha there's definitely a place for all the bubles, jamies and diana kralls in the world...but there's thankfully also a place for the kurt ellings, bobby mcferrins and hendrickses

glad you like it :) the man was in guimaraes just 5 days ago playing a gig, bummer

Seriously? Aww, wish I'd known beforehand.

Lately I've also been listening to a lot of remixed jazz classics, stuff like Verve Remixed.

It's pretty damn good.

(Btw: Can anyone tell me how to embed Youtube videos?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
FWYS, I'm fully endorsing Bright Size Life. I avoided Pat Metheny for the wrong reasons (the doofus component of his fanbase) for far too long. And now it's time to publicly repent. Also, you've got to love how Jaco fits in (and sometimes doesn't fit in but in very interesting ways). Good record.

31EAEWZBCCL._SS500_.jpg

bright size life is such a complete record. it feels like you couldn't add more or take anything out from it, it has an equilibrium to itself. that's more than can be said for alot of other records metheny has put out since then, but i'm still an admirer of the man's talent.

jaco, as you said...masterful.

public repentance duly noted.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw McCoy Tyner this Friday night. I thought it might be my last chance to catch him in this life world. I wasn't expecting much, maybe a 30 minute mini-set, but to my surprise McCoy and the boys put in about 80 minutes of non-stop WORK. Beautiful sheets of sound warmed my noggin. Gary Bartz was doing his thing too. Worth checking out if it's coming to your town.