jazz saved my life?

mizanation

• 3 weeks later...

In a Silent Way is such a beautiful record.

Somebody brought up My Favorite Things a while ago, and how it may be "a crossover" jazz record, but that it's great anyway. I'm listening to it right now, and it's astonishing how amazingly good it really is. For example, the title track is the closest approximation of unbridled human joy captured in musical form that I have ever heard. The musicianship expressed by all of the players is just bananas, right down to the bass solo by Steve Davis on Summertime. A record of spiritual striving that's pretty hard to not be moved by.

i'm late to the party here, but soil & "pimp" sessions are incredible. their energy and swagger is really great.

was the one that really got me into them.

i'm still just getting into jazz so i don't really have much to give to this thread. :\ i, uh, think chet baker is pretty awesome?

anyone dig hurtmold? i guess they're more post-rock territory, but whatever.

, which i've never heard the album version of (if it exists). radical stuff, though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

borrowed shorter's native dancer album, which i haven't seen at all in singapore. we were exploring ana maria a bit the other day, just a violin and a guitar. great writing. shorter's delivery of the tune is soulful.

trane and wayne shorter play crazy sop saxes.

Fuck yeah!!! I saw them in Philly last year and in Dallas a few years ago.

Wish they came to Texas more.

yeah man amen to that, my dream show atm would be medeski martin and wood playing with john scofield.

just got into brad mehldau, chris potter and kurt rosenwinkle.

all definitely younger fellas but mind blowing none the less.

listening atm: thelonius monk quartet and john coltrane at carnegie hall: Epistrophy

native dancer is a beautiful, sensitive album. i adore it.

to be fair i'm not a big fan of some of the tunes, some of the nascimento compositions. but shorter's arrangements and the collective treatment of the music elevates all of it.

ponta de areia and ana maria - lovely.

Thank god for Coleman. Also find some of Aylers music pretty hunting. He lived and played in the streets in Stockholm for two or so years and there has also been a swede doing a documetary about him and his mysterious death, would like to see.

there has also been a swede doing a documetary about him and his mysterious death, would like to see.

Yes I heard about that, is it called My Name is Albert Ayler? I didn't realise it was Swedish.

so your a fan of this album. It is awesome.

18-10.jpg

I wore this cd out in college! I think I saw them once with Scofield...cant remember though :), musta been a good show. I heard MMW for the first time when I saw them at the Boston Orpheum dead center about 30 rows back, they had an extra percutionist and guitarist and it was probably one of the best shows I have ever seen.

Charlie Hunter is a really cool guitarist/bassist to see live too.

• 3 weeks later...

i saw charlie hunter when i was 9, mindblowing. i didnt actually start listening to him until more recently when i nabbed ready set shango and 24540.

just got that one stanton moore album with skerik and charlie hunter, all kooked out!

i also just got some john zorn/naked city shit. he definitely pushes the conventional boundaries to their limit + 939453530x10^34.

jewish radical punk jazz at its best?

i also just got some john zorn/naked city shit. he definitely pushes the conventional boundaries to their limit + 939453530x10^34.

jewish radical punk jazz at its best?

john zorn is an anthony braxton wannabe. absinthe is the only naked city album worth owning. that is all.

edit - thanks for reminding me to update my avatar

speaking of Braxton. I've actually been working my way through the Iridium box lately (finally). Some great parts (make me wish I had checked it out in person) and some parts that bore the shit out of me. Did he really need to release the entire residency?

Dude's definitely deserving of the respect he gets but the academic approach to documentation with putting out such an overabundance of records gets tiring sometimes....

i think he's just trying to out-ornette ornette. i don't think it's really that difficult conceptually but obviously there's the jargon factor. sort of like having to learn a new way of spelling in order to read allan bryant's liner notes.

but yeah, i kind of stopped on the new stuff when he started self-releasing cds. his gtm stuff is so dense it's a lot easier to understand the dynamics in person. i saw him during his 3 days at the knit (98 or 99) and it was like a light bulb went on all of the sudden. it was a great show but you have to pick your battles.

i went to one of the iridium shows and it was nowhere near as good. weren't most of the players students of his? and speaking of wading through material, i'm still pretending to be undecided about picking up the mosaic box of all his arista recordings that's coming out later this year (now that i finally actually have everything he did for the label).

Yeah, it was a student band. But still. Of those whose work I know outside of the Braxton context, I have a great deal of respect for Mary Halvorson, Jessica Pavone, Aaron Siegel, Andrew Raffo Dewar, and James Fei regardless of whether they studied with and/or continue to play with the man. I was surprised Matt Welch didn't make it into the roster for that round of gigs since he's the right era of student... might have to ask him about that some time.

oh shit. the Braxtonese! That's something I never got the hang of either. Dude writes like he came from a planet even further out than Sunny Blount. I need a translating dictionary to parse the syntax.

I was a Braxton student once upon a time. I think I understood his framing and conception of creative music history uncommonly well. He does indeed have his own language. It is opaque and self-referential, but it has an intense internal logic (and to use his parlance, it has an overall vibrational logic). It's also best heard spoken by the man himself--not written.

I really don't get the out-ornetting ornette thing...?

yeah man amen to that, my dream show atm would be medeski martin and wood playing with john scofield.

just got into brad mehldau, chris potter and kurt rosenwinkle.

all definitely younger fellas but mind blowing none the less.

listening atm: thelonius monk quartet and john coltrane at carnegie hall: Epistrophy

live show from last year, links should still be good:

http://jam-universe.blogspot.com/2007/09/medeski-scofield-martin-wood-moe-down-8.html