jazz saved my life?

mizanation

• 2 weeks later...

in the same class of 70s brain-jazz with conceptual artwork:

b4a543d8f67f0c46394e85b4bfe070c9.png

(there's a UNIQLO tshirt with the same triangle too)

(I probably posted this earlier in the thread and forgot)

and this is really good:

a79daffac229eb167c8af613a8f47830.png

I'm a big fan of Bill, I used to think this ^ was his best live record but then I heard Live in Switzerland 1975.

Have you heard the Paris Concert?

i dunno about paris, but the tokyo concert was beautiful. really dig T.T.T.T.

sonny rollins will be in town at the end of the month. i'm not going to miss it for the world...

just re-heard brad mehldau on a car stereo last night. damn, his piano really talks to larry grenadier's bass.

My friend lent me his apartment in Paris last month, and the first thing I did was to put on the first vinyl on the stack; it turned out to be Coltrane, a 17 minute version of 'My Favorite Things' and it was sooooo good, so much overwhelming joy, I should listen to more Coltrane.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw sonny rollins tonight. it wasn't life-changing and tended towards what might very loosely be termed as "world music", but four things stood out...sonny's tone, the ride patterns of jerome jennings on drums, the congas and bob cranshaw's bass solos.

sonny's tone is really sweet on slower tunes, really mellow and so much control, but the way he sustains his vibratos so consistently is really an inspiration. back to the slow vibrato exercises on the violin...

KangTaeHwan-KoreanFreeJazz.jpg

digging kang tae hwan's album isaiah

other stuff (random):

tony malaby

ornette coleman

dexter gordon

vinny golia

john zorn

anthony braxton

art tatum

fats waller

lee morgan

---

skalpel

tartar lamb

i have eaten the city

jaga jazzist

You want some killer Corean jazz, it's all about trumpet player Choi Sun Bae for me. I haven't heard his new solo album yet on Alfred Harth's label but I've got high hopes.

edit: just did a moment's research, looks like Harth put out a album built entirely as a remix of Kang's "Seven Breath" in this batch too. I can't tell if that sounds like an awesome or disasterous concept.

yeah, choi was in kang's seoul free music trio - they have a track on that korean free jazz lp (properly, korean free music as per original release). they were the first korean free jazz/improv group ever and about as well documented as the almost mythological now music from japan.

but the greatest ever korean free musician is mototeru takagi. man that guy was so unbelievably on fire.

some stuff that floats my boat...

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Theme de Yoyo

Pharoah Saunders - anything

Alice Coltrane - anything

Lateef - Love theme from Spartacus

Herbie Hancock - Nobu album, live and solo on synths in Japan.... electronica almost...

speaking of,

Carl Craig has done some stuff that to me is jazz... under his 69 moniker - Desire...also, Kaotic Harmony is pure electronic jazz.

omg Korean free jazz?!? I need to check this out.

must be a shitty feeling to see your colleagues dying one after another...time's up kinda thing

Eddie Harris used to go on about all the sax players dying, like it was some kind of curse...

impeccable taste Kelvin1000 :)

you should really dig into the art ensemble more, one of the greatest jazz groups ever. theme de yoyo was a complete one-off for them, but if you liked it try bap-ti-zum.

i'm not crazy about carl craig but "bug in the bassbin" is pretty hot. there was a mix of that on the mo wax reissue cd which was straight up jazz

(edit: meant bap-ti-zum, not fanfare for the warriors though the latter is excellent as well)

i forgot to mention that i've only seen sonny rollins once (free show behind lincoln center) - he is notorious for his inconsistency but he was untouchable that night. definitely worth a shot and if you can get someone to pay for it, more so's the better.

go home is the only one of the paris records i really rate that much though i haven't heard stances or people in their entirety (really long story). for my money their best period was when they came back to the us through the mid 70s (kabalaba). btw i actually meant to recommend bap-ti-zum instead of fanfare above but they're both pretty great.