Black Metal Saved My Life

Guest Airjamie

Abigail Williams

Behemoth (older stuff)

Dark Funeral (of course)

Emperor

Abigail Williams (fucking awesome)

Abigail Williams are horrible. period.

the only decent song i can say they have is watch tower. other then that, the band is bad.

ugh.

deathspell omega - 'kenose' kills me every single time. dreary as fuck, such a good album. the first song is relentless, probably one of the heaviest, most weighty pieces of music i've ever heard..

on a melodic black/death tip, the new naglfar is pretty decent, although not as good as 'sheol'.

new behemoth shall be emerging pretty soon, im sure it will be fucking amazing just like demigod was, although they have evolved a fair bit from their black metal roots.

ive been listening to a lot of my older melodic black/death records....dissection, immortal et al....and a bit of mayhem thrown in for good measure.

That's Kvitrafn, ex drummer from Gorgoroth. Here he's standing on the street.

kvitrafngorgoroth1qc4.jpg

and here they are live, notice the girls in the background and real animal heads

untitled1zl9.gif

did you see the documentary titled 'true norwegian black metal'? they had some interesting clips of gaahl, whose megalomania is always amusing.

I just wet myself severely. A local promoter I know who books pretty much everything worthwhile in this city has got Boris coming next month and better still Envy TBC in November.

Isis tonight, woop woop and all that. Ed Gein hit the UK in a couple of weeks, going to fucking grind the place to shreds methinks.

• 2 months later...

Iceni

Brighton's self-professed 'only black metal band' plays their debut show. Imagine half an hour of blastbeats and tremelo picking, except that every band member is playing at a different tempo. Add Gollum on vocals and band members fulfilling every one of itsmeJT's cliches about them being fat ugly little shits who never leave you bedroom and you just about have Iceni. Also, it took me 15 minutes to realise the frontman wasn't wearing a mask and that he actually was a deformed ginger freak.

Bossk

Holy, holy shit. Probably the best (post)-metal act in the UK right now based on last night. 40 minutes, three seamlessly integrated songs switching from ambient to wall-of-sound to some serious fucking angry noise that makes Envy sound like a quiet walk in the park. In terms of performance these guys absolutely pissed all over Pelican's show a few weeks ago. Bonus points awarded for the giant sticks of incense and a drum kit wrapped in blue fairy lights.

Negura Bunget

Bloody France. Looks like Spinal Tap, sounds like black metal on acid. Points for attempthing to be different, but as far as musical ability is concerned they were pissed all over by...

Ephel Duath

The fact that more people turned out to see a two-bit black metal band than these guys hurts me in far too many ways... must have been no more than 40 people by the time they finally got onstage at about 10:45. Still, it was an absolute magical masterclass in jazz guitar, flanked by a crazy and ever so slightly creepy shouting Italian guy.

You're a real cocksucker and you fulfill every internet warrior cliche ever heard of. I especially like the bit where you state Negura Bunget are French.

It's amazingly easy to slate bands on the internet and you obviously have a problem with Black Metal in general. It's quite funny that the only way you could insult Negura Bunget was to say that their musical ability lacked compared to Ephel Duath. The only thing you forgot to mention was that Ephel Duath were boring widdly shit, if you like Jazz guitar then listen to real Jazz and not some half assed attept at bridging genres to appear original.

Technicality and number of notes per riff and time signatures mean fuck all in general. You can make a moving piece of music with three notes with the relevant ammount of craft applied. Atmosphere and feeling is all that matters in music, not how much fret wankery the guitarist is getting up to whilst your looking at his cock.

Also, LOL at the comments made against Iceni, especially the personal attacks on various members. They are playing again this month on the 28th, maybe you could walk up to the vocalist and call him a ginger freak. Ohh no that's not gonna happen because Brighton's Music scene is generally full off poofs with no substance, all mouth and no action!

Guest itsmeJT
You're a real cocksucker and you fulfill every internet warrior cliche ever heard of. I especially like the bit where you state Negura Bunget are French.

It's amazingly easy to slate bands on the internet and you obviously have a problem with Black Metal in general. It's quite funny that the only way you could insult Negura Bunget was to say that their musical ability lacked compared to Ephel Duath. The only thing you forgot to mention was that Ephel Duath were boring widdly shit, if you like Jazz guitar then listen to real Jazz and not some half assed attept at bridging genres to appear original.

Technicality and number of notes per riff and time signatures mean fuck all in general. You can make a moving piece of music with three notes with the relevant ammount of craft applied. Atmosphere and feeling is all that matters in music, not how much fret wankery the guitarist is getting up to whilst your looking at his cock.

Also, LOL at the comments made against Iceni, especially the personal attacks on various members. They are playing again this month on the 28th, maybe you could walk up to the vocalist and call him a ginger freak. Ohh no that's not gonna happen because Brighton's Music scene is generally full off poofs with no substance, all mouth and no action!

it's because it's shit and you all look like spastics

make wonderful targets for terrorisation though

France has been making some very interesting black metal lately. Amesoeurs cross the border between black metal and indie rock whereas Alcest plays hopeful folky music with a black metal aesthetic. Then you also have Deathspell Omega and Peste Noire who are producing some very interesting sounds.

Guest itsmeJT
Again, very easy to spout incoherent bullshit on the net, I'm sure your ability to talk like this to people's faces lacks any real punch!

it's this posturing that's reliant on unprovable guff that makes victimising black metallers so rewarding

you must be the first courageous black metaller, since the mainstay of it's fans only ever manifest themselves on the internet and hide away from society like agoraphobes

Just because it's too fast and tonally complex for your halfwit brain to comprehend it doesn't mean that it is boring, nor is it even particularly overly 'widdly' by the standards of metal. As to atmosphere, their show had it in spades, and the other band I raved over that night, Bossk, had even more so.

As to appearing original, with the exception of the screaming Ephel Duath do nothing that John Mclaughlin wasn't playing in 1970. Unless you want to claim that Miles Davis isn't 'real jazz', I guess Ephel Duath are too.

And what is 'real jazz' by your standards? Ragtime? Dixie? Swing? Cool? Bebop? Fusion? The boundaries of 'jazz' have been redefined for 10 decades now, and if you actually listened to the genre you'd find a hell of a lot more extreme work than Ephel Duath. Try some of Bugge Wesseltoft's more avant garde albums, for example.

No, you can't. Writing a piece of music with three notes ultimately leaves you paralysed in terms of tonal motion, and is ultimately going to sound as exciting as a wet fish. I defy you to find me a worthwhile piece of music of genuine interest with three notes.

As to 'atmosphere and feeling is all that matters in music', that is as well you know a subjective opinion which I'm pretty certain most of the modern greats from Davis to Stravinsky would have disagreed with entirely, but then again being proponents of complex time signatures, extreme dissonance and tonal complexity I expect you'll be slagging them off as pretentious shit next week.

What the hell would be the fun in ripping into a bunch of kids who clearly formed their two-bit goblin vocal fest because they got bullied at school for being a bunch of ugly/ginger/fat freaks anyhow? The guitarist at the very least clearly went home and had to do some more comfort eating to counter the strain of leaving his bedroom for an hour.

Also, I'm intrigued what you're doing on this forum that made you register just to attack my post. Or more to the question, what shit were you googling that made you find this post and feel the need to defend some half-assed amateurs who can't tremelo pick to save their lives?

• 1 month later...

ok ok, ive been listening to bm nonstop for a couple of months now and im going to ramble. 1349, overrated, but frost is an amazing drummer, speed wise. Burzum is the best one man ambient melodic bm band in, considering varg does get alot of attention and popularity from him killing of euronymous. but yea, burzum is amazing. Xasthur follows in with burzum, still having that ambient feel to it, xasthur is amazing as well. i hope i dont get bashed for this but old dimmu borgir is so good. Ive been listening to for all tid for a couple of days straght now, and they just fucking suck now. same goes for satyricon. mother north has to be their best song, also their old shit is the best. once again, it sucks how much mainstream they are now. DeathSpellOmega are amazing as well, probably one of the best bands to come out in bm recently. Marduk are the same as 1349, speed wise and the singers voice does remind me of 1349's singer, but i love the fastness and constant blastbeats, so good. Leviathan, nachtmystium, hate forest, crebain, alot alot of fucking bands. but i still have not gone to a bm concert. and i need to. someone take me. k. im done.

Dragonforce is freaking awesome, love the speed. One of my favorite is Opeth, really long songs, really nice. Children of Bodom. .hopesfall, I liked their guitar, but the vocals kinda overkill.

oh my god. i seriously hope you were being sarcastic when you stated those bands. what the fuck. i hate you, pure hate. fucking dragonforce and childeron of bodom. omg. do you wear a button up shirt with generic flames on them? do you own an ibanez. blackmetal, not shitty music. if you were being sarcastic. i take all of what i said to you back. if not, then srsly, go away.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought I would revive this thread...

For me the best example of the perfect black metal track would be Burzum's "Det Som Engang Var" off Hyvis Lysett Tar Oss. Absolutely chilling.

I havent seen Abigor mentioned, they are phenomenal. Any fans?

Local bands I used to love here in Australia were Lord Kaos, Astriaal and Abyssic Hate.

Slightly off topic, are there any funeral doom fans on here? I cant go past Therganon, Skepticism and Deinonychus (not totally funeral but doom nevertheless)

• 1 year later...

fauna.jpg

fauna - two piece ridiculous black metal band from washington, fucking only two albums, both single songs that are over an hour in length

otherwise black metal wise ive been fucking with blut aus nord, nachtmystium, wolves in the throne room, and all the old school shit, but fauna is the fuckin shit man.

best thread revival ever

Slightly off topic, are there any funeral doom fans on here? I cant go past Therganon, Skepticism and Deinonychus (not totally funeral but doom nevertheless)

funeral doom reigns supreme. thergathon and skepticism play a weird early kind of the style, their tracks wander and take on almost epic qualities. if you want to get deeper in the style like in the really just fucking evil evil shit, give nortt a listen, also most xasthur albums, ataraxie are also great too. also ahab is fucking sweet, moby dick metal

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...